1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Sense Failures

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Scuiter, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Scuiter

Scuiter New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just purchased a new 2017 Prius Prime and drove it back from the East coast headed towards my home in Arizona. All of the Safety Sense features seemed to be working according to their design, unfortunately, in Texas on I-10 a wild boar must have been hit or stunned previously and was still taking up the majority of the right lane. Although all sensors were activated and the bright lights were on the sudden appearance and resulting crash could not be avoided. None of the sensors, warning alerts, alarms or anything came on to prevent this. The state troopers said this particular area was infamous for wild boar which the state could not keep under control and there were over 500 accidents in the month of July alone. However, this thread is not about the issue in Texas. I bought the Prius Prime especially because of the safety features, so why is there so much press on the benefits yet none of the information on why it doesn't work. Is Toyota trying to prevent lawsuits? Even the airbags did not deploy.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • It's an animal. It's not designed to detect animals
    • It's not metallic so the system doesn't recognise it as a vehicle.
    • You should probably read up on the benefits of Toyota Safety Sense and what it actually assists and not assume you can drive into a tree or an animal and expect it to work. Like anything else in life, read what it <insert item that you bought> does for you.

upload_2017-8-5_15-31-7.png

upload_2017-8-5_15-32-20.png

mkiefer83, fuzzy1 and Mark57 like this.
  3. Scuiter

Scuiter New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Dear "Prius Expert". Since I am not an "expert", I do very much appreciate your comments and the excerpts you provided, however, this comment (what it actually assists and not assume you can drive into a tree or an animal and expect it to work) was uncalled for because I did not intend to do any of this and I was driving according to state laws and environment. As I said, this could not have been avoided, and I was not prepared for "no" safety warnings to give me "any" alert. Maybe Toyota should take "all" possible scenarios into consideration before producing a product that is considered the "safest vehicle". Again thank You for pointing out the fine print.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looks like what got you was was the "pedestrian under 3.2 feet tall" limitation. These collision avoidance systems are a work in progress, and over time, will be able to deal with more and more situations. Real-time recognition of these collision situations is an incredibly complex problem for an automated system, that not so long ago were in the realm of sci-fi. It is something that is real easy for humans, but is very difficult for computers.

bps and jerrymildred like this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome. I apologise if it sounded condescending. But in all honesty, it would help if somehow you were alerted to how the system works (either by reading the manual carefully or having actual knowledgeable product advisors that actually cared about their customers and go over the new features). Understanding the system and how it works will lead to happier ownership.

The main concern, of course, is vehicle so when tackling the problem (we're talking 1990s here), the first objective is minimising the chances of vehicle-to-vehicle impact since the likelihood of collision is in a high traffic area such as a city. So if you were an engineer with a limited budget and technology of the 90s, you would start with the "biggest bang for your buck".

The pedestrian detection function is new to Toyota (but of course other manufacturers have also begun to include pedestrian detection as technology costs improve and technology identification improves. Even "Road Departure" is starting to show up on Honda/Acura and Volvo vehicles).

So yeah I'm sure eventually animals will be included in the future (and if I was a betting man, I'd say they'll start with large ones like moose and deer before moving on to wild hogs and racoons).

This is also my concern with autonomous vehicle. People (not you specifically but in general) will expect it to work in all situations and that's not possible with a computer. e.g. today I was using DRCC and the car was slowing me down like it normally does. A driver saw the opportunity of the gap between me and the driver in front to get around a bus. I automatically depressed the brake pedal on my own - I wasn't going to rely on DRCC to detect the car and brake on its own because I can react faster and I see the problem [the car entering my safety zone] before the camera and radar can detect it, process it and then react to it).

Anyway, I hope you're ok and that hog didn't cause too much damage to either you or the vehicle.

bps, Merkey and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed wholeheartedly! Where can people generally find such advisors for Prius?
    I understand Tesla has some knowledgeable advisors for their vehicles.
    I had trouble convincing my local salesman that Trim Two Prius was available with interior colors other than black!! :cry:

#6 Prodigyplace, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  7. Scuiter

Scuiter New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is my first time with Prius chat and I appreciate everyone's input. I believe I'm one of the millions of people who do not read the entire manual or much of the fine print before making a purchase. And I probably do put way to much faith in the truth in advertising and even the reputability of the salespeople that are trying to make the sale, so I do understand that the topmost interest of people and companies is to make sales no matter the cost and the quicker the better. I am saddened to see the 3.2 ft tall limitation considering that is where all children fall and they are not made of metal either. I can't mention where I work but our company is also working on "autonomous" driving and I'm one of the devil's advocates pointing out "all" the unfortunate detriments of producing a viable product without considering "all" the variables. Oh, and before I forget, the damage was over $20K. Just from a wild boar. And even though the insurance company didn't total the car, Toyota won't guarantee that the sensors will work as if it were a new car.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the work is performed my a Toyota approved provider, such as a dealer or a dealer-approved facility then the sensor warranty should not be affected IMHO.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :(

Well I'm sorry to hear that. But I hope this experience will help you make a better autonomous driving product that will benefit many more people. I don't know which part of the product line or phase you're in so it may not even be your concern if you're selling the product to the car manufacturers (then it's up to the final manufacturer to educate the users of the product if they want higher satisfaction ratings).

@Prodigyplace, even at an approved facility, there's no guarantee that the car will perform as it did when new. With the Gen 3, there were a few early front end collisions and there were members here posting about issues with the IPA sensors after repair. They took it back to the repair shop multiple times to get the sensors to work but I don't think it was ever resolved. One of the Belgium members here had a side-swipe. I think Scuiter's one of the first with a front-end collision with TSS-P.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car cannot be returned to its pre-collision functionality, shouldn't insurance then declare the car as totaled? Toyota was able to build & test the car initially so they should know what parts are needed to restore this functionality.
    It appears that the effectiveness of the new car warranty has diminished too.

Merkey likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure but that would make sense. I can't speculate on that part since I don't work at a body shop but in theory, if you have the right parts and you have the right equipment to calibrate the electronics, it should work.

cyrenity likes this.
  12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Think of TSS-P and other driver assistance systems as beneficial on a statistical basis: equipped vehicles, as a class, will hopefully be involved in fewer and less severe collisions, even if there are also many scenarios in which the systems are not effective, due to technological limitations or design trade-offs, including the need to keep the cost reasonable and limit the risk of inadvertent activation.

I agree that automakers could do more to help buyers understand this reality, but I also don’t believe that Toyota has overstated the capabilities of its products. On the Toyota Safety Sense website, for example, the Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection feature is described as being “designed to reduce the likelihood of colliding with a preceding car or pedestrian.” (No mention of animals, debris, or structures.) Similarly, the Prius Prime brochure (PDF) uses phrases like “in certain situations” and “under certain circumstances” when explaining the TSS-P features. The idea that TSS-P doesn’t work under all conditions is communicated in Toyota’s marketing materials, not only in fine-print disclaimers or the Owner’s Manual.
    I think so, too. Toyota’s Repair Manual for the Prius Prime (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com) includes detailed procedures for replacing the forward recognition camera, millimeter wave radar sensor assembly, and ultrasonic sensors. These procedures cover not only the removal and installation of the parts, but also the necessary adjustment and field calibration techniques. By using these procedures, along with spare parts, special service tools, and the Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, all generally available from Toyota, repair facilities should be able to restore the functionality of the TSS-P systems.
    I’m not surprised that Toyota wouldn’t guarantee this; as far as I know, no automaker offers a warranty that collision damage will be repairable, or that repairs will be satisfactory. Like most automakers, Toyota doesn’t operate repair facilities, and even for repairs made at authorized dealers, Toyota has little or no day-to-day control over the skill or care with which the work is done, especially if an insurance company has limited the acceptable repair materials or methods for cost reasons. If the repairs are incomplete or faulty, a remedy might come from the insurance policy or a warranty made by the repair facility.

Zythryn likes this.
  13. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some drivers expect way too much, and rely way too much on those safety features. For me personally, I just don't trust them. I don't want them, and don't feel that I need them. I would never trust that radar cruise to brake and accelerate for me. I know a lot of you guys love it, it's not for me.

Twenty thousand dollars to fix that Prius????!?!! (Maybe I better get collision insurance! :LOL:) I would just trade it in on a new car. It will never be the same.

#13 CoastRider, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Safety features, from any company, now or at anytime in the future, will never be 100%.
    They are now in their infancy though. So it is critical to read the information carefully.

Safety features such as this will lower the rates of accidents if used properly.
    Right now, companies would cause more accidents if the safety features returned lots of false positives, so these features almost always are a driver assistance package and rarely will act on their own unless the information they gather is 99.9% conclusive.

Merkey likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes you one of very many consumers whose expectations have gotten well ahead of the available technology. Self-driving cars, those capable of responding well to nearly all possible hazards (i.e. substantially better than humans), won't be available until at least 2020.

Today's systems are really driver assist system. They still have plenty of holes and inadequacies, and are not ready to take over the prime responsibility of driving.

You were expecting Level 3 or 4 performance. Your Prime is merely Level 1, possibly getting close to Level 2:
    Driverless cars: the differences between the levels of self-driving cars | WIRED UK
    Updated: Autonomous driving levels 0 to 5: Understanding the differences - TechRepublic

The overall market is simply not there yet. We are still in a teething phase, on the path to fully autonomous cars. Feedback from these new partially-autonomous cars is very important to helping develop and refine the next generations. If people insist on all or nothing, with no intermediate steps, then it will delay availability of the 'all' product for a very long time.
    I hope that your company can make a big contribution towards this development process.

And I hope your experience with this incident is not wasted. Please help push along the critical importance of managing customer expectations, and help keep those expectations from getting ahead of the available technical reality.

Mark57, Merkey, Prodigyplace and 2 others like this.
  16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me start by stating: sorry to hear about your car. That's gotta feel [your favorite expletive here] since it's your first trip driving the thing. I'd seriously consider trading it on another new one.

That said, please allow me to do a bit of proselytizing to everyone regarding all these driver assistance systems because I (very sadly) see so much asshattery in the Tesla community (and would be saddened to see more of such here):

It is my opinion that EVERYONE SHOULD DRIVE THEIR CAR ASSUMING THEY DON'T HAVE ANY KIND OF ASSISTANCE BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY WILL FAIL WHEN YOU NEED THEM THE MOST.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fred Flintstone, is that you? :LOL:

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is why these things are still merely 'driver assistance' systems, and not yet 'autonomous car' systems.

Zythryn and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three

Was it good eatin ? A prius prime tenderized piece of boar meat must have been great !

The airbag sensors are all around the engine compartment, and should go off if sufficiently disturbed.
    If enough airbag sensors trigger, the insurance company will automatically total the car.
    That type of impact that does that will generally result in a seat belt bruise, from collar bone to waist.
    I hope that you are OK !

How heavy was the boar ? How fast was the car ?

jp

20. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Years ago I saw "what was left" of a full size 18 wheeler. It had hit a hog that got loose and wandered out on the highway. The truck and trailer were completely destroyed like I'd never seen. Hogs/pigs have a very low center of gravity and tend to roll underneath whatever hits them and it acts like a multiple impact wreck. You were very lucky to survive this accident. Kudos to the car.

It may not have detected deer, cattle, or horses either. Hitting one of those breaks the legs and they come through the windshield. We've had several of those here over the years on I-40.

Sorry about the wreak, but you survived.