1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Sense Failures

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Scuiter, Aug 5, 2017.

1. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    where i live we have deer that leap in front of vehicles. part of driving is scanning the roadside and basically slowing to a crawl if you see one.
    At night you might see one cross you need to basically stop because there will be more crossing you cant see. You simply cant proceed at any speed if you see one because by their nature they leap crosswise to the path of a charging predator.

I would never expect a car maker to develop a deer avoidance system its better left to a brain.

About collision avoidance its nice if it helps but i wouldnt drive depending on it

My opinion of autonomos ir semiautonomous driving is i hope its a passing fad.

2. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I agree.

At one time I also owned a large ford 4x4 pickup truck, supercrew.
    One early morning, while drive thru the back woods of Harvard MA on my way to work, a deer cut in front of me, too damn close.

So I just stopped. Sure enough another jumped across, then another and another....

And sure enough, WAM!! a deer ran unto my parked truck. Two more just missed just after that.

jp