1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Sense has Trouble in Snow

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by trescenzi, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's that stuff that feeds southern California with water.

fuzzy1, Trollbait and Prius Maximus like this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    TC on the Prius was more about protecting the drivetrain than aiding traction. I believe Toyota had updates to tone down its intrusiveness.
    On the other hand, the VSC on my 2005 was effective at keeping the car in lane on snowy curves.

Did you happen to test those hills in plain old drive?
    B mode won't slow a car down as well as downshifting in a traditional transmission, but it does provide some additional braking force over drive. You'll still speed up on a decline, but not as quickly.

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Trollbait. Yes, I went down the hills in both regular drive mode, and B mode. I sure don't notice any difference, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Or maybe expecting too much? One time in B, I noticed a very very slight different feeling, but it was quickly overcome by the steepness and speed going down the hill.
    Other than that, the car drives very well. I am usually in the "normal" drive mode.

My next experiment, next time it rains I'm going to deactivate the traction control. I've heard two loud "bangs" when I accidentally spun the wheels in slippery mud/water, while pulling out of a parking lot. That sure got my attention.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TC has gone through many iterations over the years, and has improved greatly. My Gen3's TC is at least two iterations beyond your 2004 version, and most folks here now regard it as a positive value. But I do recall a consensus that your 2004 version was a negative, while the late-Gen2 version had a more mixed reaction. Hopefully Gen4 TC is improved over the decent Gen3 version.

That 'not recommended on flat ground' refers to good traction conditions, not foul roads. And it doesn't hurt anything except fuel economy.

Foul weather is a different kettle of fish, where control trumps MPG. I'd say, use whatever gear fits the conditions and tires and your driving style.

Something is wrong. On my common routes, B very clearly works and is an important tool for mountain descents. In a couple past threads, I have quantified speed / drag / RPM differences between D and B on a certain mountain grade. On that hill, B mode produced 4600 RPM and held to a constant speed, while D mode dropped to 2000 RPM while the car began running away too fast.

#24 fuzzy1, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Coast Cruiser likes this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Relying on 'safety sense' radar separation in freezing precipitation makes zero sense, for the same reasons you don't fly coupled autopilot/autothrottle approaches in icing conditions... You lose situational awareness when relying on the automation and drive/fly too far into uncontrollable outcomes.

fuzzy1 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just use the brakes. Not sure, but maybe the Anti-Lock Braking will be messed up if you're using B. Save B for coming down mountains.

And when braking, if you need to stop fast, just stand on it, let ALB figure things out.

7. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unfortunately the camera tends to fog up in cold and moist weather conditions .
    Toyota is aware of that problem and as far as I know allready working on a solution !
    They will fix the problem bei adding a small heater to the camera,at least that's what customers in Germany have been told !

8. trescenzi

trescenzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is what I've seen. When in EV mode on the prime it more aggressively regens battery. You can feel the additional drag compared to simply costing but will not hear the engine. In HV mode it functions like I'd assume it does in the 2016 as the engine is audible.

As for efficacy I can't speak to the mountains out west but it has been helpful for the comparatively tiny mountains out here in Vermont and New Hampshire.

iPhone ?