1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saga of Prius Prime Flat

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JTEM, Apr 12, 2020.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the link. I read AHetaFan measured that on a lithium battery. I can't imagine that kind of current into the stock AGM.

moto g(7) power ?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't that a larger automotive lithium battery, not the factory lead-acid unit?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good catch. And I haven't clamp-metered the charging current on my Gen 3 with the factory battery.

I have done so on a Gen 2 with the factory battery and its lower 13.8 charging voltage, and not seen it dump more than 8 amps even into a very low battery.

It's still the case that Gen 3's charging voltage is more like 14.7, and that extra volt can make a substantial difference in the current supplied to a 12 volt battery.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With that Gen2 charge rate, a 10 mile drive taking about 15 minutes, would put only 2 Ah into the battery, tiny compared to a full charge that the OP thought he was getting. If the Gen3's higher voltage produces double to triple the charge rate, that is a great help, but still leaves the battery fairly low after just 15 minutes, far from full.

And somewhere in the charge cycle, when the battery is up to some level (I don't know just how much), the Gen3's charging voltage does step down, so a true full charge would still takes a long time. Probably longer than anyone's daily commute, if the goal is to get a full charge in just one commute cycle.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone ever gone out in the morning, popped the hood from the passenger side and checked the charge on the 12V and found it to be at 100%? I've tried a few times. Never anywhere near 100% and I wouldn't expect that. I checked mine yesterday after it sat for a few days and it was 50% according to the display on my charger. Started right up!

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Instructions say to measure voltage from the battery terminals only. The under hood jump points are not an option. I assume there’s a logical reason why, but I wouldn’t use that under hood value.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have done tha, but don't have any equipment to measure percent, just voltage

idk if it's linear though. wouldn't 50% be 6.5 volts?

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime (and gen 4) has battery under the hood. No jump point.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jzchen likes this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you! I didn't remember that!!!

moto g(7) power ?

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It isn't linear. 50% is something like 12.2V for a flooded battery like in most cars and it's about 12.3V in an AGM. 11.8 volts is 0% for either. 100% is 12.7-12.8. That's according to this chart. Battery voltage and state of charge - Energy Matters

It's good to remember, though, that those charts are just guestmations. I see a lot of them posted here and they are useful, but only as a rule of thumb, not as a precise measurement. Actual SOC percentage is much more complex involving specific gravity, open circuit or with a load (and how much load), temperature, number of cells, and so on. For example, what my battery charger interpreted as 50% was 12.34 volts. Closer to 70% according to the chart I qouted. Still not even close to 100% but obviously more than enough to do its job.

Edit to add:
    This article is pretty informative and easy to read.
    Battery State-Of-Charge Chart | 12 Volt Battery Voltage & Specific Gravity

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  11. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My TPMS would activate AFTER the tire was flat. Have had 4 flats with my Advanced!! No warning beep; far too late with very tiny visual warning. This is a critical problem (NO SPARE TIRE!) that demands correction.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Diemaster and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine informed me of having a squishy tire.

This ended up a slow, but obvious leak...

20200322_152453.jpg

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fortunately, getting a flat fixed isn't a big deal. I was able to redeem road-hazard coverage... even during stay-at-home. Got a replacement, rather than a patch.

20200322_152538.jpg

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only correction you can do is to not buy a car sans spare*. This keeps you in the pink, and might wake up the manufacturers, if it catches on.

* Not exactly true, but I draw the line at dropping $30K for a new car, and THEN having to cobble together all the missing stuff.

I'm sure To

15. JTEM

JTEM Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So, the flat tire that I experienced was in my snow tire which is on rims sans TPMS. So no warning :-(

I used the concoction that was part of the emergency tire repair kit from Toyota. I must say that whatever sealant is in the small bottle from Toyota did plug the leak. I had bought the snow tires from BJ's, so I had the BJ's tire center take a look at it for damage. They cannot detect any leak at this point, so I am sort of out of luck. In fact, I had the winter tires swapped out and summer tires installed today.

To come back to the entire saga, the 12V battery was definitely impacted by the process of pumping the sealant and air into the flat tire keeping the car in On mode as opposed to Ready mode. This triggered the Check Engine light. I got a jump from AAA and dropped the car off to the Toyota dealership. They found nothing wrong other than worn brakes, but that is a different thread :-(

I agree that not having a spare tire is a significant downside.

jerrymildred and FuelMiser like this.
  16. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you mean "no warning" or "constant warning?"

It seems to me that the only "downside" was that your 12V battery went flat. The tire seemed to come out okay.

17. JTEM

JTEM Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have noticed that the TPMS warning is a hit and miss. The reason is that my summer tires with TPMS are in my garage. When I start my car, the system must detect them and the TPMS does not warn me. Usually after a 15-20 minute ride I am warned via TPMS. So, I do not pay attention to the TPMS when I have winter tires.

The downside is that the small bottle of sealant from Toyota costs ~ $100, almost the same ballpark as a tire sans balancing and mounting.

FuelMiser likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Every Toyota survey submitted should include a line "please make a spare tyre available as an accessory if the manufacturer decides not to include it as standard equipment for fuel economy purposes"

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall Honda did just that with an automatic Fit. The stick shift version did have the spare, and for a bit over $200 you could add it to the automatic. I thought that was usury lol. At least the swap was very simple:

Toyota seems to burning their bridges on the spare though: even where it is possible, it involves well over a grand to swap all the pieces involved. And the plugins: no chance.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @JTEM your experience has me thinking: if you have a flat, and use sealant, and it's effective, it can subsequently very difficult for the tire place to find the leak. They're relying on telltale soap bubbles from the leak, and there won't be any. For a while...

Pretty much toasts the tire?