1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sales advice

Discussion in 'Prius Tax Credit Discussion' started by Bonnie San Diego, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Bonnie San Diego

Bonnie San Diego New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I want to get rid of my 2008 Prius. I love this car but rarely drive it as I have a work vehicle, so this sits. The left side is damaged because people hit me, all of the time. Welcome to Southern California. One year I was rear ended 3 times. The catalytic converters has been replaced and has less than 500 miles on it (If that, likely more like 2-300)since replacement, brand new battery (not hybrid), and it has 189k miles on it. Good for getting around town. She may not be pretty on one side but mechanically, she’s solid. Oil change every 2000 miles though due to high mileage. I’m over fixing the damage done by others as it’s just going to happen again. Honestly, I don’t care what it goes for. I put the worst condition and most miles in KBB and it came back with $4500 which is ridiculous. What do you experts think is a fair price? Side note, the cosmetic repairs aren’t spendy if done privately, I’ve looked the parts up and they can be found for a relatively low price. At this point, I need to pay for health insurance/ medication more than have this car around. Thanks for the advice.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Consider donating it to charity?

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you say it is good mechanically, sell it for $4k or whatever

That could be someones perfect car for the next 5-10 years

Prius are in demand, much more so in SoCal

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    “Fair” depends, in part, on the conditions of sale. Large dealers, such as AutoNation or CarMax, and online services, such as Shift or Vroom, are likely to offer less than you might eventually get from a private buyer, but they’ll also act quickly and save you the inconvenience and risk of dealing with the public yourself.

Keep in mind that you know the car is mechanically sound and well-maintained, and you’re selling because you don’t need it, but the nature of the market makes buyers tend to assume it’s somehow defective. This effect is compounded when the car has visible damage, even if it’s actually repairable at modest cost and wouldn’t affect the use of the car for transportation.
    I suppose that’s an option, but it provides no immediate cash, and the income tax benefit isn’t nearly what it once was. The deduction is usually limited to the amount the charity gets when they sell the vehicle, not its fair market value (see IRS Publication 4303, A Donor’s Guide to Vehicle Donation (PDF)), and it reduces tax liability only for taxpayers who itemize, which is much less common after the recent tax law changes, which increased the standard deduction and limited the deductibility of state and local taxes.

#4 Elektroingenieur, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  5. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like someone is going to get a good deal. I bought a junk one for $1000 and parted it out making more than 5000 but it was a pain.
    Consider accepting a smaller amount and payments you’ll get more from a student down there in San Diago

iPhone ? my mi