1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Salvage Prius anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ArizonaHybrid, Mar 4, 2008.

1. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I rebuilt a 2005 myself cost 14,500 total. Drove a year with no problems. Later it was totaled in side collision. Ins. pd. 9,000. Rebuilt title sucks

2. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a guy in Huntington Beach, Ca that fixes salvaged Priuses. We have bought 2 from them and they are absolutely perfect. I would have no problem buying another, as long as you know it was fixed correctly.

Plus they are WAAAAAAY cheaper.

3. ocpitbulls

ocpitbulls New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Blown 240- Do u have the name and number to the guy that sells salvaged Prius in hunington beach

4. priusfan13

priusfan13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My husband was in an accident and survived. He drove a 2005 Prius. This well-built car saved his life. The front end sustained a lot of damage. I don't know how he survived? I am thankful.

My question is what do I do with a totaled car??? A tow truck guy offered to buy it for $350. Is this a fair price??? My husband is still in the hospital and I am trying to take care of everything until he returns back home. Another place called Victory Auto Wreckage will come and take the car for $375. I live about 35 miles north west of Chicago, IL. Any suggestions for me?? Thanks for reading this.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How is your husband? My wife and I were in a side impact collision and rollover in our Sequoia. We both felt like the car just hugged us close and saved our lives. I feel much safer in a Toyota than any other car.

Call Steve at AutoBeYours.com. He has a Prius junkyard/salvage rebuild operation in Indiana. He might be interested.

You could also take some pictures and post in the Private Sales section here.

I think $375 is too low. I watch Copart.com and see even the non-rebuildable ones go for $1000. Yours may be worth $500-$1500, it just depends on how much of the car is still good, like doors, back hatch, MFD, hybrid battery, etc.

1 person likes this.
  6. priusfan13

priusfan13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks so much seilerts. My husband has 6 broken ribs on his right side. He is sore and will live to see many more days thanks to the Prius. This car saved his life!!!! He had a pretty bad impact.

He has been in the hospital for 5 days and will be released hopefully after a few more tests. He is 6feet 2 inches and I think the car hugged him too. Glad to hear you and your wife survived an accident also.

It is my first time posting. Thanks so much for your response and great suggestions!! :)

7. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    as a rule of thumb.. if the front airbags are still good, the car is worth 2000.

Yes, I am interested in recycling your wrecked prius.
    call me
    812-820-5050
    Steve. ( AutoBeYours.com)

3 people like this.
  8. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are actually state's that don't require titles on certain age vehicles. In Rhode Island a vehicle 10 years old doesn't have a title. That is why I always recommend a Carfax report before purchasing.

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am glad your husband survived. Stuff can be replaced.

1 person likes this.
  10. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Isn't there an insurance company involved at all? I thought they generally own the car after covering your loss. I suppose if it wasn't insured for collision then it belongs to you.

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Steve, that is good to know, and explains a lot!

12. priusfan13

priusfan13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    We had liability on the car. Sadly our car was not covered. But the other cars in the accident were covered. Thanks for all the comments. Have a great rest of your Sunday.

I will be emailing Steve some pics tomorrow. :)