1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

salvage prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dolphinmom, Dec 7, 2006.

1. hawaiiguide

hawaiiguide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbiggs @ Nov 15 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]540379[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the great tip. We did go to motor vehicles when we transfered the title. Everything went fine. In '
    less than 10 minutes we had a new pink slip. The car had already pasted a safty inspection... that is required in Hawaii evey year... for every vehicle. Sometimes things work out in Honolulu.

The only thing we havn't figured out yet is the "Map" button on the steering wheel.

Thanks again for your help.
    richard

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dolphinmom @ Dec 7 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]359115[/snapback]</div>
    I would say it depends. If you can afford a new one and want minimal hassles, you are probably better off going that route. If you consider salvage/rebuilt, the key is to buy it from someone you trust to do a good job. there are a lot of horror stories out there about the shoddy work that some shops will do to make as much money as they can on a car.

I also ended up buying a salvaged car from Steve Woodruff at autobeyours. I visited the shop before hand and spent the afternoon talking Prius's with Steve and finding out all about his operation. I was very impressed with the knowledge he has of the cars, and the work that he does. Being a Prius only shop I felt he had the right intentions as well. So when a car with what I wanted came along a few months later I was very confident buying it from him. 3 months and a couple of k miles and so far everything is great.

You have to weigh the cost savings vs. the lack of factory warranty. Steve does cover you for year, so that helps. In our case it made more sense because I intend to do a plugin conversion, voiding much of the factory warranty anyways :) We had no trouble getting the car registered or insured (Progressive). Keep in mind that you will not be able to get a regular car loan though. We ended up doing a home equity loan to finance it.

rob

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawaiiguide @ Nov 15 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]540292[/snapback]</div>
    Well, good luck with it. These are great cars, but their complexity means that a lot can get messed up and go undiagnosed or incorrectly repaired.

4. hawaiiguide

hawaiiguide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    we found an 06 package 6. Loaded with 9,000 miles for $12,000. It had a salvage title. We purchased it a few months ago.

The guy who sold it to us was in the salvage/repair business. The car was hit on the drivers side front fender. He had to replace the hood and driver side fender and a few parts. Evidently insurance companies do put "salvage titles" on cars with, what we normally think of as, ok cars. We are very happy with the car so far. No problems. Upside is we can modify the car without worry about voiding a warrantee that doesn't exist....

However, all situations are different and we haven't had the car that long... time will tell. Good luck with your decision.
    richard

5. priususername

priususername New Member

If you're willing to thoroughly research it, then it can be a big savings. I recently bought an '06 fully loaded for $13k w/ 44k miles. passenger side impact. If you're out of state from the state in which it's being repaired, the title needs to be SALVAGED not Salvage, to be accepted in some states as driveable. That can be a serious problem and is not understood by all the salvage dealers. The state DOT can tell you what is needed to transfer to a salvaged title.

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you take a peek out front I believe you'll find you also have the HID headlights.