1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

salvaged prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by InPriusLove, Apr 26, 2016.

1. InPriusLove

InPriusLove Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Salvage has no importance when a recall is being worked. The recall is a known defect and is seperate from warranty. A warranty is about what was defective uniquely on your car but a recall is a known and admitted issue across the model or class of car regardless of ownership changes including salvage.

2. goku9384

goku9384 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought an 06 salvage prius with 60k miles in 2013. It now has 110k miles only maintenance so far was oil and filter changes and spark plugs nothing major. So far buying salvage was a benefit for me in regards to cost.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, some insurance company totaled a vehicle that didn't need any work?

4. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic Si with a Salvage title, it was a theft recovery. The story I got was that the vehicle was missing for a period of time before it was recovered. The insurance co paid the owner out and then recovered it so it went to auction. Being an insurance auction and the way the laws are written, the car came with a salvage title but wasn't in an accident. The Stereo and Wheels & Tires were missing, other than that, it was a very nice car. This was back in 2002 and the car had 11K miles on it. I bought it at a dealer that specializes in Salvage Vehicles. I am on my 5th salvage vehicle, both of my Prii are salvage vehicles they were involved in minor accidents w/o airbag deployment.

scona and bisco like this.
  5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A friend had a similar experience with a motorcycle. It had been stolen, and hidden away in a garage for a couple of years. The only problem it had was that it hadn't been stored properly (gas wasn't drained), so the carb needed a good cleaning. Once that was done, he had a perfectly fine bike with a salvage title. Worked out well for him.

gamma742 likes this.
  6. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    lets be real guys, salvage title is a crap shoot, body shops can and will rebuild almost anything, leaving you with a permanently compromised or problematic vehicle.
    of course they will always tell you it was a theft recovery or cosmetic damage only. without pictures of the damage you are at their mercy.
    most people are easy to sell on a car once they are smitten, looks good, great price... oh dont worry about that salvage title you are saving a ton of money, it was only a little rear bumper damage, we only had to repaint it...haha yeah right!
    [​IMG]

7. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    The vehicles I have purchased always came with: Photos from the Insurance Auction, at least a dozen before repairs. All the receipts for the Bodies parts from Toyota/Honda as needed to prove it wasn't rebuilt with stolen parts. I can see some folks being reluctant to purchase a salvage title car but no need to strike fear into others.

No wait... one second thought please do so that the prices stays low and I can continue to get a bargain.. Lol!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know there can be some sensible purchases to the trained eye. but it's not for the feint hearted.

9. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    This is true.. you really need to do your homework. The wife's 2010 was purchased in 2011 with 17K.. we now have nearly 90K on it. These cars can be difficult to resell, they're more for buying and running them into the ground.

bisco likes this.
  10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am intimately familiar with salvage vehicles as that was all we purchased when I was growing up. It was the only way we could afford decent transportation.

Anecdotally, I've found the reliability of a salvaged vehicle to be the same or superior to that of an older clean titled vehicle at the same price. This is why we poor folk continue to buy them.

I can't speak to safety though. When you're poor, a car that starts and gets you to work is the priority. Getting that airbag light to turn off is a luxury.

And my story is a salvaged 1995 Acura Integra with some 80k miles on it for $8000. A leaking heater core was its only issue that was bypassed because say it with me, I am poor. I put another 60k on it before it got rear ended and was I guess totaled again. Insurance company gave me $7000. I didn't ask if they noticed it was a salvaged vehicle to begin with.

ETP and bisco like this.
  11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, as a kid we had:

1. No AC
    2. No phone
    3. No Cable
    4. One old car that started and stopped
    5. Everyone worked to put food on the table
    7. Other peoples left over cloths and shoes
    8. Very old house
    9. More love than a rich mans house/ miss it:):):):):):):):):)

Money is not the answer to the ultimate question in the universe. 42 is.:ROFLMAO:

johnnyb588 and mmmodem like this.
  12. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    I have actually made money on salvaged vehicles that were involved in accidents when not at fault.. The other guys insurance pays as though it's a clean title car. (y)

#12 gamma742, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    mmmodem likes this.
  13. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We were so poor we had to eat each other. The fat ones were the first to go (yum!). The skinny ones were too fast to catch. We did have a cable. We used that to pull the old car home when it stopped. And old clothes? It was a bit embarrassing as the youngest and being a boy -- I got teased for the dresses, but the truth is I didn't care. The underwear was spectacular!

ETP likes this.
  14. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow, rain and 100 degree heat all the same day. Underwear was a luxury. Cut the dresses into shirts and socks.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Problem solved Eat the fat ones.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

William Redoubt likes this.
  15. kingman

kingman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i also always buy salvge cars. 50% off the blue s-l500.jpg IMG_0602.JPG IMG_0602.JPG s-l225.jpg s-l500.jpg IMG_0602.JPG s-l225.jpg book price then drive them till they wont run anymore. rinse and repeat. latest one is 2014 with 34340 mi for $8200.00 i know the rebuilder and trust him.

William Redoubt likes this.
  16. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    That's a sweet deal!

kingman likes this.
  17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I was young I used to buy two cars and make one but don't know when the term "salvage title" came into play.