1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Same Hybrid Issue after one year

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gabriel Souza, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Gabriel Souza

Gabriel Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone. I've been reading this site since I bought my 06 Prius last year and it was always very helpful.

Just over 40 days I got the I started to have a lot of headache with the hybrid battery. A bad guy sold me the car knowing the Hybrid Battery already needed to be replaced.

I was driving in the highway and suddenly I start to hear the HB cooling fan located on the rear right side in the passenger seat running loud, like never before. The Red Triangle, Check Engine and some others light came on in my dashboard. I contacted the guy, he tried to fix the problem. The light gone but a couple days after the same thing happened.

After this I took the car to my local dealership and paid $139 for the diagnosis. They told me I need to replace the Hybrid Battery and gave me the estimate for to replacement. I drove home to think about my options and I realized the lights are gone again. I know it's usually happens because they could reset the codes.

I was sure the lights will be on again and was expecting this to happen in a couple day then I would take to another local shop to get a second opinion. But it never happened until last week. I was very happy the light never came on again and I DROVE AFTER THIS FOR ABOUT 10 MONTHS AND MORE THAN 15,000 MILES.

Last week the same problem is back and now I'm here again reading a lot of stuff wondering if it's a better idea to get a brand new hybrid battery in Toyota dealership for a expensive price but mot reliable or spent less money ( not cheap) in a remanufactured one that I'm not sue how long it will last.

I decided to write this here because I know there is a lot of Hybrid Experts in this forum and I hope a could hear from some people that could have had a similar problem and my big question is:

What the guys from Toyota could have done that the problem ''was solved'' while they are just diagnosing and why I was able to drive all this time and miles without any problem?

And please give a light about what can I decide between the brand new one and the remanufactured one.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    With the summer heat, these posts are now popping up several times a day so you're not alone.

Only you can answer your question because we don't know just how much you value you car, how long you plan to keep it, your financial situation, etc.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the dealership saying, for replacement cost with new battery?

If I recall correctly it can vary from $3000 to $4000.

Also: how many miles on it?

4. Gabriel Souza

Gabriel Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    154.000 miles on it.

I have the following estimates:

Local Shop: Remanufactured $2050 6 months warranty
    Remanufactured $2295 18 months warranty
    Remanufactured with new cells $3245 36 months warranty

Toyota Dealership Brand new $2588 plus labor ( can vary from $500 to $640)
    12 months warranty

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In another thread aren't they saying the Toyota Dealership brand new warranty is 3 year and unlimitted mileage?

Personally, I'd go for the extra pain of the Toyota deal, seems like it's the only one that lasts.

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would suggest that you confirm the health of the 12v battery in the back. It is pretty unlikely that this is the problem, but the cost savings would be substantial. If the battery is 4 years old or older, I would change it regardless of what it's condition appears to be.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    almost 12 year old car w/154k? how much longer would you like to keep it? a new battery will get you another 8-12 years and 100 to 150k miles.
    a reman is always iffy, and only as good as the warranty and the company standing behind it. which in many cases are scam artists.

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To me that's a no-brainer: go with the new Toyota battery.

These "remanufactured" sellers/shops need to keep up with the market and re-evaluate their price structure. When Toyota was charging $4000 - $5000 for a new battery, then sure, $2500 for a refurb may have been a viable choice. But look at the above quotes: $2295 for a USED battery, when you can get a brand new OEM from Toyota for another $800... that's ridiculous! And the dope selling used batteries for MORE than Toyota is selling them new... crazy.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe crazy like a fox? (n)

It's not unheard of: business with lagging sales raises prices, and suddenly every one has to have one, lol.

Addendum: @tvpierce : Found a link to a particular CBC Radio Under the Influence episode on this topic:

The Psychology of Price. - Home | Under The Influence with Terry O'Reilly | CBC Radio

Sorry for the topic drift, btw.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Crazy that they're able to stay in business.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible that when you took the car in to Toyota, the code showed one of your battery modules was unbalanced (hence why they said you needed to replace the battery), but the car was able to adjust the voltage balance so you could drive it for that long without issue.

I'd consider a traction battery replacement similar to an engine replacement or any other expensive fix. The first question to ask is whether it's worth it to you to sink that amount of money into your current car or if you'd rather put that money toward buying another car. Only you can answer that. But if you do decide it's worth it to replace the traction battery, then I'd definitely get a new one from Toyota. As mentioned above, that's going to be the only option that will last another 8 years or more.

Gabriel Souza likes this.
  12. Gabriel Souza

Gabriel Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the 12v battery about 8 month ago after I had jump the car...

13. Gabriel Souza

Gabriel Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank guys for all your opinions and advices.

Although it's a car with 154,000 I definitively wanna keep it for a while. With the price I'm would sell it with a bad hybrid battery plus $3k (I'm going to spend) I'm not gonna buy a good car as this Prius is. Once I decided to spend a high amount of money replacing the battery I'm really going with the brand new from Toyota for a piece of mind.

Have a great day Prius lovers!
    well said. I completely agree.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please keep us updated, and make sure to ask how long the warranty is. all the best!(y)

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Good choice. Remember, your car will retain a higher value with a new Toyota battery as opposed to those with rebuilts or originals. Also if your car should, unfortunately, get wrecked or suffer some sort of major breakdown, you can always sell the Toyota battery for good money and thus recoup a fair bit of your costs. Save your receipt!

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, that bit.