1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Same Prius, Not The Same MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dark_Prius, Sep 7, 2009.

1. hschen

hschen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have done enough to prove that 'you' are not the problem. Go back to the dealer or another one and ask for Toyota customer relations manager. Every dealer shall have one on site. Have the dealer check the computer readouts. There are 7 computers in Prius. Document your findings and experiments well and in details. Let us know what happens.
    Don't give up.

2. Vapor

Vapor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm curious about the results of usbseawolf2000's suggestions. I'm sure it's a pain to get together with your sister to keep doing side by side comparisons. Then see if the dealership or another one could be more helpful. Doesn't sound right.
    Your sister drove, and the dealership drove your car when they rotated tires, so it can't be the parking brake partially on, right?

Did you feed the hamsters in the glove box?;)

Hope it's resolved quick.

edit: didn't see you took it back in...sounds like you're on the right track

3. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bad cell in the 12 volt battery would cause the charger to run at max continuously? With the added A/C load maybe no ICE shutdown? Not bad enough in voltage drop to cause an error code? Let us know what codes the shop reads.

Traced drop in mpg (20+%)in the Ford and Chevy to a bad 12v cell.

1 person likes this.
  4. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you weight 400 pounds and she just 150... :p

5. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    EPA is not a guarantee. There may be unavoidable circumstances in your daily driving that prevent you from achieving EPA mileage and, yes, then you will need the special techniques to OBTAIN EPA estimates.

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Beside would be okay, but "right behind" should result in better mileage for the trailing vehicle.

7. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, how about one car length behind for every ten MPH for safety?
    To really get much draft, you have to be stupid close to somebody, I did assume the OP is not stupid. Point is his mileage isn't even close, I don't think he is talking one or two MPG here, I think he is talking a rather large difference. Dealer agrees there is a problem, so this is moot anyway.

8. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    any news from the dealer?

9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any updates?

10. Dark_Prius

Dark_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is a summary of my thoughts, experiences and updates:

I purchased a 2010 White Gen III, pkg III and my sister purchasd a 2010 Silver Gen III, pkg III at the same time.

I have always been gettting 38MPG to 43MPG in average, checked tire pressures, P&G, checked Oil and all that kind of basic stuff.

My sister were able to obtain 49MPG average and I think she is getting over 50mpg now.

We live like a block away, so weather condition would not be a factor. She doesn't check her oil level, she doesn't know P&G and she doesn't check her tire pressure and yes... she gets 50mpg.

I started to wonder why my car cannot preform, so I took it to the dealer and bug them for an alignment check. To make my long story stort, I had to make a complain to Toyota in order to have the dealer listen to me and check on my alignments.

They did my alignment, my toe was off 0.02in, but I don't think it will change anything. They also did a test drive for me, City 40MPG, Highway 52 MPG, and they also inspected everything and told me there is no errors.

Since they obtain 52MPG highway, and they told me nothing wrong with the car. Well, how about city? Should I get 51mpg city? In my opinion, they ignore the bad data and look at high data.

I took the car home, drive for a tank of gas before I post my findings here. I can obtain 50 MPG not a problem on the Highway but as soon as I am driving in the city, my MPG started to drop. No matter how hard I tried, I get about 40MPG average.

Compared to my sister's prius, her car runs a lot smoother and I can get 50mpg very easy in City.

After many thoughts and comparsion. I am thinking that maybe my car is not fully broken in yet compared to my sister's. She drives highway 80miles at least twice a week. I drive about 95% city, 10 to 15 miles per trip.

I also notice that even a really small up slope on the road kills the MPG. Unless I drive 20miles per hour and pissing everyone off on the road.

I am hoping my car will improve after my first 5000 mile oil change.

However, I have been searching really hard for 95%city MPG, I am curious in what people get. As for me, I get 40MPG average.

11. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you swap cars with her for awhile? Let her drive your car for a week.
    I get low to mid 60's in city driving, but I'm the guy as you say is pissing everybody off. My wife has gotten as low as 44 MPG combined driving until I fussed at her and merely modifying her driving style slightly put her mileage into the mid 50's. I believe mileage is extremely sensitive to driving style. I'm certain that if I drove like most people on the road and accelerated into red lights and braked hard for every one so that I came to a complete stop just about the time it went green again, and then Bam back into the power section racing for the next red light, I'd be doing good to get 40 MPG too.
    Thing is, I easily get much better mileage than my vehicles are rated at, I get 18 to 20 MPG in a one ton Dually C3500 PU for example. Driving style has a LOT to do with mileage. And no I don't P&G or use any other unusual driving techniques either, just try my best to conserve momentium is all

12. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i can also get raging mileage as long as i'm driving local freeways. city driving can be tricky if you're into the mpg game. dont be afraid to accelerate ( NOT flooring it ) but get into the coast mode asap.

13. PeteJE

PeteJE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    City 46 - 48
    Highway ~ 55

I have added about 3-5 mpg per tank - maybe due to my learning and breaking in.

My average from the beginning is now 51.

I seem to be smack dab at the EPA numbers. I can have a hundered plus miles on a tank and still show 60+ mpg, but that is for one specific work commute. More miles and even a couple city errand hops and that number gravitates quickly back to my averages.

My tires are 42/40 and I try at good technique, but not obsessively and I am not afraid of the pwr area when needed for traffic or conditions.

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe stop trying to P&G so much, and just drive the car like your sister does?

15. Dark_Prius

Dark_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I switched my car with my sister and drove to the same place (mixed city/highway). Guess what, she got 44MPG from my car with her driving style and I got 52MPG from her car with my driving style.

So, I don't know. I don't break at last minute, I don't flooring my car. And people pass me, cut me off all the time. If I drive normal and keep up with traffic, I get 38mpg city.

I really don't know what's the problem. I am getting so frastruated and I am about to trade in my Prius.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since both of you have Prius III, you should have 15" wheels. Do you have an after-market wheels?

Also do you have different tires? For ex: Bridgestone Ecopia

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, this sounds interesting:

• ICE problem - could the engine be running in an inefficient mode, say open-loop instead of closed loop trim ... valve advance issue ... EGR problem ...
    • drag problem - transmission or wheels or brakes
    Are you near a hill that is relatively free of traffic that you could do a roll-down test? If you could, please provide coordinates for the hill, say 15-20 m high, so we can use Google Earth to calculate altitude change and distance. For example:
    34 36' 47.85" N 86 34' 20.40" W - 209 m
    descends to 177 m headed west
    I live in the Tennessee Valley on the edge of the Piedmont Plateau. Once we understand the altitude change, we can compare your hill roll test, the change in velocity, against our ZVW30 and possibly even your sister's car. Doing the hill roll test in "N" eliminates engine effects so if there is a drag problem, it should be obvious.

A hill of 15-20 m should be more than enough starting from dead stop. If you have a GPS, we can probably confirm the altitude change.

If all three cars show the same increase in velocity over the same drop in altitude, it eliminates a drag issue. We would next need a taller hill to run a hill climb test.

In a hill climb test, we use the same, speed to ascend a similar slope hill and measure the fuel consumption to reach the top. The car with the greatest fuel consumption has an engine and/or transaxle problem. Then comes the fun part ... figuring what it might be.

Bob Wilson

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm having a very similar issue - but have waited a few weeks reading posts about driving, PSI etc. I have yet to get over 43mpg - and I'm driving easy - 65 freeway, gliding as I can, even using EV to ramp to 25. Nothing changes my mileage. Yesterday's freeway trip - 150 miles at an easy - no cruise, no hard acceleration, flat drive at 65, yielded 44mpg...

Please let us know what you find...

19. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I certainly cannot speak for the Gen3 Pri, but my Gen2 will behave the very same way.... at times. I cannot always say why it does this but I figure there is some enviornmental variable that leads the intelligence of the system to make the decision it does.

20. Dark_Prius

Dark_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did down hill test with both priuses down the street from my house. They both seems to gain the same velocity. When it comes to uphill, my prius has noticeabe less power with the same foot pressing the puddle.

Now, this is my person opinion, since I don't have any gauges to measure so I don't know.

My conclusion is that if this is my car's problem (not driver's problem). There is no way I can get Toyota to beleive or fix my problem. Therefore I am screwed, so I might consider trading it in for a Lexus HS, since I get about 40MPG from my prius, HS gets about 35MPG.