1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Same problem 3 times; need diagnostic help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by marshaks, May 22, 2006.

1. marshaks

marshaks New Member

9 month old 2005 prius with 16000 mi. and no problems

After driving 40 mi at 65+ m/h, then slowing down, 4 lights go on. (1) RED Triange with ! which means see the multi-display screen, (2) yellow brake warning light, (3) VSC light, (4) on multi display screen, top left, red car symbol with !. If the car is turned off it will cannot be put back in drive. Last time the shop thought is was the invertor/convertor. That was changed and same thing occurred a day later.

Have you had this problem?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try to get a dealer to read the codes *before* it gets powered off..
    _H*

3. hilore

hilore New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newtoprius @ May 22 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]259528[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if this is the same problem. For the first time, mine is in the shop right
    now with 25K mi, 05 Prius. All light lid up on the dash in the middle of a street.
    I can not reverse or drive. Power on or off doesn't help. Only in Neutral! The
    dealer says it's the TRANSAXEL Voltage leaking. Maybe they meant oil leaking. I've
    been trying to get the DIAG CODE from the dealer, but no luck. I might have
    to call Toyota Headquarter to get the DIAG CODE.

--Hilore

4. marshaks

marshaks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hilore @ May 22 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]259586[/snapback]</div>
    1ST time mine went to the shop they were pretty sure they might not have found the problem. They reset something (or rebooted) and once I did a 40 mi trip the same lights problem occurred.

2nd time they thought it was the "transaxle" which needed to be replaced but a day later said someone came back from a training program and was told it was probably the inverter/converter so that is what they changed out. KEEP IN MIND THEY FIXED THE WRONG THING.
    My invoice states.... "INTERMITTENT SHORT CIRCUIT (POOR INSULATION) INSIDE INVERTER/CONVERTER 4.9 WPT HRS OP#890201 Z TIME T1 8A(or 6A-NOT LEGIBLE) T2 73 REPLACED INTEVERTER / CONVERTER ASSEMBLY AND BLED COOLANT SYSTEM / DIAGNOSIS W/SCAN TOOL AND MEGAMETER AND VOLT METER / PULLED TROUBLE CODES P0AA6 INFO CODES 526 & 613 / CONTACTED GST TECHNICAL SUPPORT OPENED CASE #.... / TESTED INVERTER/CONVERTER ASSY AND TRANSAXLE FOR INTERMITTENT SHORT (POOR INSULATION) / FOLLOWED TIS FLOW SHART AND GST TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FOR CONCLUSION OF INVERTER/CONVERTER REPLACEMENT / ..then a statement about test driving.

They only put 13mi on the car while it was there. We picked up the car. Headed to the highway and after 43 miles on the freeway the next day the same thing. same story and even the same tow truck driver picking us up in the same parking lot. Boy was he shocked!

Dealer called a few minutes ago and now my car is getting a new transmission.

5. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newtoprius @ May 23 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]260002[/snapback]</div>
    This brings up the question, is the tow covered by Prius WARRANTY ?????

6. marshaks

marshaks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ May 23 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]260005[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ May 23 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]260005[/snapback]</div>

My dealer covers it. We use a tow service number which they gave us. Also covering all the rental car expense.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    warranty covers towing and rental car.

lessee what we can dig up here from the books in a little bit...

8. hilore

hilore New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ May 23 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]260005[/snapback]</div>
    Tow cover only to the nearest Toyota Dealer.
    Rental only cover for 5 days per incident.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say that having a way to get at the DTC should be mandatory! Look I deal with this all the time as a Doc. I am ready and willing to explain, justify, elucidate, defend and otherwise let every patient know what I am thinking and what the tests I am doing mean. I would bet that a good technician working on my car would educate me to the limits I want. Can it take a bit, yes but in the end having the person on the other end on your side and understanding the ins and outs of what is going on is a blessing. The down side is that I am not given enough time to do that and I hate that! I am glad I can get my DTC and I have the manuals to get the information I need. One problem I look at the "information" and I need another professional to help me decipher it. We will all be better off when the communication is open. I step down off the soap box. Daxx I feel better now. Thank you all for participating!

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. code is not in the repair manual.... :wacko:

well now we know why they called up tech assistance...

11. marshaks

marshaks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 24 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]260663[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for checking for more detail on the code. Appreciate the help.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newtoprius @ May 24 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]260720[/snapback]</div>

Keep the rest of us posted. This is a chance for everyone to learn. I hope you can get a explanation on the codes. I would guess that the Toyota Engineers are now involved. Please add to the knowledge base if you can.

13. marshaks

marshaks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hilore @ May 23 2006, 12:36 AM) [snapback]259586[/snapback]</div>
    What was the final problem? ...newtoprius

14. hilore

hilore New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newtoprius @ May 26 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]261467[/snapback]</div>
    No news from the dealer, I called serveral times. The
    service adviser isn't in so I left messages. I will update
    when I get some info.

15. marshaks

marshaks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 24 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]260734[/snapback]</div>
    Since I started this topic thought I better let you all know it was the transaxle which the dealer ended up replacing.

16. jeanlouise

jeanlouise New Member

Newto,
    Sorry for your problem but glad to see your post as it sounds identical to what I had happen in April (see link for codes etc.) Good news is after replacing the inverter, aux battery and the transaxle, I've had no further problems for two months. Hope your troubles are over, too . I'd still like to know what caused the problems but have heard nothing further on the parts autopsy.

http://priuschat.com/Third-Time-Triangle-a...ure-t18706.html