1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Samsung Chip LED

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by joeuser, Dec 30, 2013.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My left (driver side) tail lamp went out. Started looking into LED lamps.
    What is the general consensus on LEDs for the prius for Tail Lights.
    I am planning on getting these.

I read around here to buy LEDs to match the Lens filter hence why the Red ones. If this works well, I would probably want the Amber colored lamps for the backup lights.
    Would these be bright enough and is the wattage in the car enough to support these bulbs.
    Also, any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You want white for the back up lights, red for brake lights and the Amber are the turn signal. since you have a clear cover on the Gen II, like mine I replaced all of my lamps.Read my post, you can order the bulbs, they are very bright, and long lived!

How about 60 LED DRL and Turn Signal in one bulb! | PriusChat

3. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    im using these.....

Pair T10 W5W 9 RED 5050 SMD LED Vehicle CAR Canbus Error Free Lamp Bulb | eBay

they work great.

[​IMG]

im now working on LEDs that are bright enough for daytime use as indicators and reverse.
    you will want red ones for the tails, amber / yellow for indicators and white for reverse.

unlike regular globes, LEDs work better when their color is the same as the lens they are behind.
    exception here is the indicators. as the prius has clear lenses and uses amber colored globes.

Jason.

4. benjas96

benjas96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Quick question: with the installation of LEDs, did you have to put in a regulator chip or something to prevent them from "blinking"? I know that they will flash if the car thinks that there is not enough power running to them due to the low voltage intake from them.

5. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    for the taillight ones that i used, all i had to do was to order the error free types.
    these draw the same current as regular globes. so you don't save power,
    but they don't cause errors with the cars systems either.

EDIT: i should also point out that the ones im using are not the pinkish color that the phone camera makes them appear to be. they are a nice red color. and they are about the same brightness as the stock globes too. maybe a touch brighter, but not much.

Jason

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With a Gen II, you will need to upgrade to a Flasher relay for LEDS. This is discussed as well as a URL to purchase the correct Flasher in my 60 LED DRL Thing!!

7. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yeah, for the indicators that's true (requiring the relay change)
    but the OP in this case was asking about tail lights only i think.

i didn't have to change anything except the globes for the tail lights to function perfectly.

Jason.