1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Samsung Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by krausternet, May 10, 2013.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

In the Application Manager I can select Music, which I assume is the Samsung music player. And in the next window, the App info window, there are two buttons at the top, Force stop and Disable. The Disable is greyed out. I can select Force stop and stop the app, but even after that I can not select Disable.

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I will play with it over the weekend and let you know what I find...

3. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Give the 'Media Button Router' android app a try.
    Media Button Router - Android Apps on Google Play

4. OLynney

OLynney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had this problem too. New I phone synced up voice and contacts, but Galaxy S4 only voice. Error message when downloading contacts. Here is how to do it: Go to settings on your phone / My device/screen lock/none, Then go back to connections/bluetooth, and select Car Multimedia (This presumes you have previously synced, and you have unpaired from the car by deleting the phone from the car menu only). Your phone should open another window that shows call audio and media audio. Select both so they are highlighted. Then on your car menu add the phone again. Your phone will get a pop up asking if ok to connect, click ok, then go back to the car menu and select contact sync. You should get another pop up on your phone asking if it is ok to sync contacts, click ok. That should do it. Make sure you have the latest updates to your Samsung phone to avoid any other issue.

WE0H likes this.
  5. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I have done that exact back and forth and back and forth between the phone and the car, and tried it a few times deleting/unpairing and starting fresh. Something is definitely wrong because I keep getting lots of weird frustrating behavior. Media starts and stops and then switches to something else, then completely stops. And on top of that with polarized sunglasses on I can read the screen on the Prius - what crappy sceen.

I think one of the problems is that I have multiple audio sources. I am trying out Onecast, BeyondPod, Overdrive Media, doubletwist, the Music app, and the Play Music app. Per someone's suggestion here I have tried to get control of the mulitple sources using the Media Button Router app but I haven't figured out how to control that thing. It just makes things worse.

If there is anyone who has a Galaxy S4 working on a 2013 Prius that lives in the SF Bay Area and wants to meet up and show me how to configure it I'd be very grateful. for what its worth I never had any problems with an iphone 4. (too late to go back as I am past the return policy date, but I wouldn't trade down to the apple screen, even the bigger iphone5, at this point. I like having the S4 screen size.)

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Galaxy > iToy :D

You'll get it figured out eventually :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

7. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the fundamental thing is that there are many bluetooth protocols and Samsung isn't using the same one Entune uses on the Prius. Even if I am doing something stupid it shouldn't be this quirky.

BTW, does Toyota update the software or firmware for the car, specifically the Entune electronics? and if so how can I check to know if I have the latest version?

8. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got mine to pair no problem, but now since I replace my 12 volt battery I'm not getting my phone and the car to connect via bluetooth. I also recently did an upgrade on my s4, so I'm not sure what the problem is: the part or the phone.

9. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When my map on the Prius stopped working I took the car in and the dealer had to order a new motherboard for the entune box to fix that. Map got fixed and it seems like the phone pairs better. Maybe the bluetooth protocol on the motherboard was improved.
    Lmmurphy80, I am curious what upgrade of the S4 did you do? Are you running something later than android 4.2.2?

10. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have no idea. I just know it took almost an hour to download. I can't use wifi bc of health issues so I went up to us cellular and had them do the upgrade for me so could distance myself from the phone and it's been goofy since

SCH-R970 ?

11. leegart

leegart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced an S2 with an S4 and it synched up perfectly. Have you tried deleting it and re-synching? Not that this is a pre-requisite to successful synching but do you have the Entune app installed? If so, is that working

12. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I first bought my 2013 Prius 3, I synched my Samsung Infuse 4G and then I got a Galaxy S4 and just deleted the previous settings and my S4 paired up immediately and perfectly. You have to watch both screens (car and phone) to ok the complete syncing process.
    I had no problems whatever.

13. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was just like you lumpy. it synced perfectly at first, but not now.

SCH-R970 ?

14. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It does sync if I delete the phone and resync it, but it won't sync again the next time I start the car. Who wants to do that every time.

SCH-R970 ?

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Entune is a expensive joke.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

16. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never had entune before and know it's not necessary to sync the phone bc I had the phone and music player flawlessly synced for over 2 months before I started having problems.

SCH-R970 ?

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine used to work at first then the first update made it work part time and finally the 2nd update made it never work. Entune is worthless. I'm looking for a good aftermarket audio system next :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

18. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What update? Entunes or the S4 update bc that's about the same time I started having problems

SCH-R970 ?

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Entune updates in 2012.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

20. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I notice that your S4 model is SCH-R970 from US Cellular and the OS is 4.3.
    Mine is SCH-i337 from AT&T and the OS is 4.2.2
    Did you update your OS or was that on it when you got it? Just wondering if an update may have changed things for sync to radio.
    OOps, sorry lmmurphy80, I missed your earlier post:
    I'm starting to get the impression that for some reason the 4.3 upgrade may be the culprit.