1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Diego area, help for young Prius driver

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris HV, May 18, 2018.

1. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yup, her father couldn't agree more, it's on the priority list with the 3-way valve. Thanks!

2. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Slight update:
    The main coolant has not dropped and is between high and low. I guess the 3-way valve is really stuck.
    The inverter coolant is about 1/2 inch below low. Hmmm... Thoughts? Should a code pop up? Which one?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Picture? Not normal for inverter coolant to be that low unless there's a leak

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your referencing the main engine coolant level by looking at the plastic overflow tank that's really not the true level of the level of coolant in the system. The g2 is a little weird in that the overflow tank does not reflect the true coolant level in the rad. You have to pop the black plastic cover off the top of the rad and underneath that cover is the cap to the rad. On a cool engine take that cap off and All that matters is where that engine coolant level is there. I never replaced those hold down screws for that cover. It just sits on top of the rad and is trapped by the hood when you close it. When i want to check the engine coolant I go right to the rad cap.

The Inverter coolant is a completely different system has nothing to do with the engine coolant. They don't interact. If the Inverter coolant level is low in the Inverter reservoir buy some Toyota LLC coolant and fill it up to the full line on that reservoir. Its rare that system has a leak. It probably means its been low for a long time. Which is hard on the pump. And the Inverter. And the trans.

I know this is complicated based on the daughter long distance thing. Good luck.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hey Ed,
    Thanks so much for your input. We're on our 4th Prius but I'm learning a lot here, you guys are just so helpful. I had no idea the radiator level could be low while showing OK in the overflow reservoir. How is that possible if it's all the same circuit? Some weird engineering design? Just curious.
    JC had a good suggestion too and I'm waiting to get an actual pic of the inverter tank. I know for a fact that it never went low until this past Fall when I drove the 2008 to bring it to my daughter. She is positive that she checks her levels once a month as I had suggested to her so this drop must be recent, which I guess is a good thing, right? I've also asked her to check for leaks and explained how to do it. Waiting to hear back from her.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your welcome.

It’s helpful to clean that inverter reservoir and mark the full line which is on the passenger side of that tank with a black sharpie.

That reservoir should not lose a drop of coolant ever. Mine has been right at the full line for 11 years.
    Same with engine coolant.

If engine coolant losing coolant the engine water pump off the fan belt is weeping coolant like any old engine.
    That’s easy to see get a fkashlight and look for dried red coolant specks in the fan belt area. Really easy to see. Should not be one red speck in there. Not one, if any the pump is shot.

7. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Finally got a pic of the inverter coolant tank from my daughter. It doesn't seem to be about 1/2 inch below, but right at the low mark.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is not low, it's pretty much where it's suppose to be

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ed might disagree with you!

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Both those seem exhorbitant. I would question if new rotors are truly needed, and $44 to replace a license plate bulb??

MilkyWay likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had 5 of these at one point, the level your coolant is at is pretty close to full, off by maybe 10 ounces

sfv41901 and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Only 5:whistle:?

sfv41901 likes this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5 2nd gen ones. But who's counting

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I rarely disagree with JC but it is below the low line.

The problem is that circuit should not be using a drop of coolant so its going somewhere. Haven't topped off my Inverter coolant in 5 years.
    No reports of that circuit leaking on this site just pumps pumps pumps. But maybe it got the recall on the pump done years ago and it was never topped off.

Top it off to the full line and watch it. Btw its looks very old too. That coolant is bright red in that tank.

15. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    They are all exorbitant, thievery is what I call it. And then they complain we call them stealerships...

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ed, I can tell from the official records that the "HV electric pump" , which I guess is the inverter pump, was replaced under recall in 2014 at 108K. They don't say (of course) if the system was flushed as it should have been... but the new pump has only 50K of service. These should last at least 100K, right?
    About the coolant color, the yellow-ish plastic used for the tanks on the gen 2 was a poor choice (you'll notice how much clearer they are on the Gen 3) and it's not possible to determine the real color looking though it. On our 2004 it had become so opaque that reading the level was hard! Regardless I've suggested that my daughter gets a gallon of pinko and tops off to the max level.
    Circuits no losing a single drop of coolant? Hmmm, I can see the logic of that in theory. BUT I just topped off both systems on my pristine 2013 which works like a dream and has only 39K. It took only about 3 ounces to bring the inverter coolant to max, but about one quart for the main cooling circuit. I just checked and topped my wife's 2010 (99K) the inverter was between the lines but the main was about one inch below the low mark. There have been no fault codes that I know of. We'll check for leaks at night and start looking for puddles of course, but I wonder if some other factors don't come into play. For example, this winter we had some extreme cold spells with temps going as low as minus 25. The cars started fine but took for ever to come up in temperature.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When the recall for the pump was done, hoses were pinched to get the pump changed. It probably lost the few ounces that the reservoir is missing. But from what I can tell on your picture, that little will not do any harm. You'll only need about 10 ounces to get it back to the full line. These pumps normally last 100k miles

I don't think this is an issue with your car. Move on to the next item lol

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was never topped off after the pump or minor air was induced and it finally settled down to that level.If it had a leak it would be empty since no ones checking it so it should be fine. The inverter coolant loop is an excellent system I have not had to top off my invert coolant in years and years.It does not lose a drop. Same with the engine coolant. I dumped the rad on mine about 2 weeks ago and it was full to the top of the cap for years also. Doesn't lose a drop.

Btw when they replaced the pump they just duckbill off the hoses and slap it in. No coolant change so this car probably has the original Inverter coolant.

Best way to change the engine coolant on a g2 is just dump the rad only. Then do it again in a few months. Substantial amount of new coolant doing that and no air is induced.

19. Chris HV

Chris HV Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the radiator dump trick. Just out of curiosity, does it also work for the g3 which does not have a radiator cap?
    BTW, daughter says no red specks to be seen around the fan area so it looks like she has no leaks and hopefully the water pump is OK. I sent her videos about checking her radiator cap and I'm waiting for photos of it.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I do not own a G3 others will chime in soon.