1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Onofre Nuclear Plant is Closing !

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Jun 8, 2013.

?
  1. Natural Gas

30.0%
  2. Solar

30.0%
  3. Wind

10.0%
  4. Coal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nuclear

30.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  2. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually I would want no power plant near my home if given a Choice.

3. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Community activists and Senator Boxer must be thanked for this positive conclusion.

Picture slide show.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By choice, I just installed a small power plant on top of my home.

dogfriend and JMD like this.
  5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dude you went solar?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, I installed a starter-sized solar system and turned it on just over two weeks ago. The holiday crunch delayed inspections, but those are done and it is just waiting for the utility's official production meter. I had another meter on hand (submetering the water heater circuit), so it was moved to the PV meter socket so this production time is not completely wasted.

I'm guessing this installation will produce 15-20% of the house's annual consumption, but it is producing some net-zero days now during peak-solar / no-heating season. It is intended to be expanded over the next couple years, after getting some production data under the local climate and shading impairments.

A considerable amount of home conservation preceded this solar system, and a bit more is still planned.

Your poll does not include hydro, the predominate energy source in my region. I have no problems living near a hydro plant, as long as I'm not in its failure flood plain.

Trebuchet and JMD like this.
  7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad they shut the plant. It was unsafe.

I am pro-nuclear, but we need to phase out these 1st and 2nd generation reactor designs.

That's the problem. Nobody wants it in their own backyard! Same here, I don't want reactor towers as my view instead of my current snowy mountain peaks (yes still snowy even with 80F days in June).

But I do have 4 panels at home and planning to put on a total of 5KW to 10KW within the next 2-3 years.

JMD likes this.
  8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats Dude! That is awesome. That is something I want to do, but have delayed. How did you pick a Contractor?

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No contractor, did it myself. The solar installers I talked to were booked up for several months, past the June 30 expiration of a state incentive. I wanted it sooner, both due to a busy summer calendar, and to start collecting production data for this non-ideal site before the Solstice.

A tiny (50W) off-grid system was up there for nearly two decades. Its intended expansion just never happened. Then this spring's reroofing project (which was hired out) set up a nice window of opportunity, so I jumped for it on very short notice. Several years of barely-skimmed issues of Home Power instantly turned quite valuable.

I won't recommend Do-It-Yourself, but will confirm that it is possible for those with determination, time, and sufficient electrical background.

JMD likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The survey is a little open for interpretation but I said nat gas. I am actually quite bullish on putting solar panels on houses. That seems to make perfect sense to me to avoid the large central power plants. My area, solar option it is not offered much right now. Nuclear I tend to favor to the smaller SMR option. The CA plant shut down has serious ramifications since many others are borderline, with community pressure, Long Island New York is one example.

JMD likes this.
  11. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you just want electricity without the rest of the infrastructure. I am not saying that is a do able thing but is that your mindset.

12. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CAVE people aka Coalition Against Viable Energy sources takes little effort. Poor designs and human error made Chernobyl, three mile island, and Fukushima Daiichi a reality. Nevertheless China is now constructing over 200 nuclear power plants based on the Westinghouse AP1000 core standard. Two of these plants will come on line in calendar year 2015 .

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The grid is needed. In So Cal we are seeing many plants that are Natural Gas powered. They are also close to large population centers.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I wondered how Westinghouse could afford all the radio ads in Pittsburgh, given the slow construction here. My father had retired from Westinghouse as a nuke engineer (subs - small reactors).

15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasn't concerned with the San Onofre plant until they started having problems with the tubes. Then I felt that Edison wasn't being truthful with the public about the situation. Hopefully we will find out what really happened.

JMD likes this.
  17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Customers and stockholders will pay. Maybe some litigation reward. In the end people will be safe. After all money is just money but life is priceless.

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nothing prevents both wind and solar. It does mean 'second crop' such as hay and grains are not going to happen. However, the micro-climate improvement, slightly lower temperatures, is a good thing.

Bob Wilson

19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fuzzy what are the financials? What did it cost? What tax breaks. What is the net cost? How much is your utility bill reduced?

Did it pencil out?

If it is personal than by all means do not disclose.

20. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just surfed out front of the plant an hour ago. I'm not glowing...yet.

Trebuchet and JMD like this.