1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Onofre Nuclear Plant is Closing !

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Jun 8, 2013.

?
  1. Natural Gas

30.0%
  2. Solar

30.0%
  3. Wind

10.0%
  4. Coal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nuclear

30.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it pencil out? Probably not, under the site's weather and shade impairments, current utility rates, and current expiration date of the production incentives. But it is something I've wanted for many years, and reroofing set up a good foundation and opened a new window of opportunity. I skipped a proper site survey, swag'ed that it was close enough for my purposes, and will track production for a year before deciding about expansion.

Cost? I'm in for just over $5k right now (not including the roof, which was done different to better set up for PV) for a 1.6kW starter system, strictly DIY. A sales tax refund should pull it under $5k. Some of that is for overhead that won't repeat with the first expansion to 4.6kW. The second expansion will need to upgrade some of the electrical support.

Incentives? 30% federal income tax credit. But because it is non-refundable, and I'm pretending to be retired now, collecting will require creating more income, such as Rothifying some retirement money. No state sales tax on small PV system installations through June 30, though most of the parts were acquired through channels that will require a separate filling to get a refund. Net metering forever, so it reduces my electric bill immediately, and excess production in summer is carried forward to offset winter electric consumption. Plus a state production incentive of $0.15/kWh through 6/30/2020. Equipment made in-state could push that to $0.36-0.54/kWh, but much of that value is rolled into the initial purchase price, and I don't know that it can be recovered with my particular site impairments.

There appears to also be a separate $0.02/kWh market to sell RECs (renewable energy credits), but I will probably skip that, choosing instead to run my own house on renewable energy.

It began unofficial operation several weeks ago, as one two-month billing cycle was ending, so actual results won't be available for some time. But with peak production season and minimum consumption season here right now, the main meter is barely creeping forward compared to past summers. The official production meter arrive just a few hours ago, so official credited production is still zero.

JMD likes this.
  2. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quote from a commenter on UT San Diego "This will be one of the first and most important time the U.S. has to face the real costs of nuclear power, which has been ignored or swept under the rug for 60 years. Is it really safe to store tons of highly radioactive depleted fuel rod nuclear waste in water ponds at the San Onofre site for the next 100 years? Who is going to be held accountable for monitoring and maintaining the nuclear waste? How much will all this cost?"

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SCE will have to maintain that site with security, containers etc. they will have to rebuild the concrete and stainless steel containers very 50 years or so for at least a thousand years or more. Perhaps SCE never factored that into the equation. But they have deep pockets.

There was talk of a federal site to manage and store nuclear waste in Nevada. Time will tell

4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Much of the Solar Projects in San Diego are in Imperial County inland from San Diego County. The solar projects are near the Mexican border and are on desert land with nothing but scrub brush and desert. There is no farm land or forest being displaced. There is plenty of land to go around. Nothing but rabbits and snakes. However natural habitats are needed to be preserved or land set aside in other parts for natural habitat.

One Solar project in Warner Springs in SD county the grid capacity cannot handle a solar project larger than whats there. It can't transport more electricity. However there is so much unoccupied and prime solar land available.

Imperial County and Arizona still Has grid capacity

Costs a kings ransom to expand Grid capacity

Many of these projects are built by smaller companies with Japanese and Chinese engineering and products, than once online and working are sold to Southern California Edison or other large energy companies. It is good they are bring clean energy to California but a shame American Engineers and Products are excluded from the projects. I'm not sure why. We have high unemployment here. SCE is a Fortune 500 company and will buy it before they build it. Just easier for them. They did build the grid though. Not without a legal migraine fighting small towns and ranchers

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What to do with a decommissioned nuclear plant?

How about converting it to a gas fired plant? The installation already has electric generators and all the grid connection it needs. The facility has to be maintained for centuries, so why not do something useful with it?

Just install a gas fired steam generation system instead of the nuclear steam generator.

What am I missing?

JMD likes this.
  6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a huge polluting plant in Long Beach that is idle that can be converted. I just runs during energy shortages because I pays a pollution penalty but only runs until it's pollution credits expire. A older one in Chula Vista was demolished and brought to the ground. Hotel and Maria going up on it's land.

Perhaps due to cost they just build new from the ground up. Most are smaller peak Pants. Bigger plants are more inland in the desert and Arizona ay from population centers sometimes.

Encina Power plant was built in the 50's. it was upgraded to a natural gas plant and the water cooling is no longer needed. The Texas energy company is building a new Plant on the land. When it is functioning they will dismantle the old plant and sell the land. Since it is on the beach the Cty wants to buy it and turn it to a recreation place.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The decade long CA regulations and vetting process necessary for any power plant or power plant modification. Just getting a Natural Gas Pipeline installed would take a decade in that densely crowded part of the state. It might happen, but starting now will have nothing allowed for many, many years.

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    San Onofre is Prime Coastal Land. Energy plants an be build inland on cheaper and in the middle of nowhere and connect to the grid. Coastal land is ultra expensive. Cities rather build hotels, homes and shopping centers that attract $ than eye sores power plants that drive people away.

The beach is developed from Los Angels to the Mexican Border.