1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sandy Munro righteous rant

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 26, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source:

The only correction is NHTSA is investigating Autopilot crashes with emergency vehicles. However, a few months ago, it was Tesla fires that was getting all the attention Tesla Fire in Texas Crash Was Not How It Was Reported, Says Fire Chief .

Tesla Fire in Texas Crash Was Not How It Was Reported, Says Fire Chief

Persistent news reports that a battery fire of a crashed 2019 Model S couldn't be extinguished and stymied fire officials are wrong, he says.
    • A crash and subsequent fire of a Tesla Model S this past weekend quickly caught attention online for its "four-hour" blaze, but that's not exactly what happened, the fire chief told Car and Driver today.
    • The initial fireball was contained in a matter of minutes, and it was just tiny flareups that were a longer-lasting problem, chief Palmer Buck explained to the Houston Chronicle and C/D.
    • Although the chief acknowledges EV fires require different tactics by firefighters, Tesla and government safety data asserts that traditional internal-combustion vehicles experience one fire for every 19 million miles traveled; for Teslas EVs, it's one fire for 205 million miles traveled.
    . . .

This is not the first time nor likely to be the last when the NHTSA has screwed up. For example, the "Bell the Hybrid" Act of 2010 was both bad statistical analysis claiming the noise generator will prevent pedestrian accidents when it is driver-side, "A" pillar width that explains the data.

Regardless, I'm OK with giving Sandy an "AMEN Brother!"

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe this can be a sticky that everyone can link to - when the Johnny come lately detractors feel the need to generate hysterical drama over the "dangers" of electric. Not that we don't appreciate them showing up here on PC.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you sandy, i have been wondering all this myself. i thought it might change under joe, but so far, no luck.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "stick to what you know, like, like, AFGHANISTAN!" :ROFLMAO:

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sandy and i need a drink :cool:

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Calling out China the way he does? He will be labeled a racist terrorist most likely. Prepare sadly - to see him deplatformed & canceled if he continues telling it like it is.

#6 hill, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, too many think the chinese government is our friend

Merkey likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Xpeng was accused of stealing Autopilot code but the lawsuit was dropped. Still, everything else seemed to look a lot like a Tesla copy. Regardless, Tesla's AI approach to FSD is going where Xpeng will have a very hard time trying to copy. But we're competitors as friendship has nothing to do with it.

Elon's China factory is showing the Chinese how to do it right. I have no doubt their next generations will improve and possibly be peers to Tesla BUT it doesn't matter. It really comes down to respect, ideally mutual, but with eyes wide open.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they will attempt to steal anything not locked down. no values, scruples, ethics or morals.

eyes need to be very wide. toothpicks holding them open wide. he who snoozes loses

Merkey and hill like this.
  10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'll be 'that guy'...I guess. I thought Sandy was really annoying here. He needs to stick to engineering discussions and stay out of politics, etc... :whistle:

Sorry if it is 'too coincidental' for Sandy. However, if suspected 'non user error' accidents happen with a new technology, or even old technology, they will be investigated. Remember the Toyota 'sudden unintended instant acceleration' investigations? Do we overlook the suspected flaws in Tesla's self driving because Tesla is an American company? Don't think so...

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    here's a great example of; "they will be investigated"

so - our 1st renter-occupied Nashville house burns to the ground - less than six months after we complained to the property manager that they have placed a fire pit & charcoal filled trash can underneath the brand new $16,000 trex decking - just outside the walk-out basement -

fire.png

By contract, they were required to carry renters' insurance, while we owners carry insurance for our own structure. Both policies were written by State Farm. Inexplicably, the fire investigator for the volunteer fire department could not determine the cause - despite arriving while only the Trex decking and back of the house we're on fire. Therefore, according to our property manager, we were not entitled to keep the $5,000 renters deposit. We found it odd that a gallon of paint could accidentally be poured down the carpeted stairs to the basement, without having to prove anything beyond who was in control.
    So, the renter's policy would pay for renters new clothes, appliances, furniture, find a place to live for the ½year remainder of the contract, dishes, sporting toys, etc.
    When the neighborhood & newscast onlookers saw this "homeowners tragedy" - they started a GoFundMe page for them (renters) which netted $26,000.
    Through diligence, we later discovered there was way way too close a Nexus between not just the two State Farm insurance policies, but the Cozy factor between the volunteer fire department investigator.
    Moral of the story? Just because things get investigated doesn't mean that it's done with the best of intentions. Likely, that's Sandy's beef.
    The PostScript for us was at least (through great deal of arm-twisting) the insurance company finally ponied up with us, with much greater difficulty then the renters payout experience.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tennessee

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have no problem with nhtsa investigating if safety is a concern, and incidents reach some predetermined threshold for all safety concerns.
    congressional investigations are always political, that's what they do. every car manufacturer has a powerful lobby, and they are continually looking over their shoulders at tesla, who broke the stranglehold.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  14. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    E9E38A4C-A0D8-412A-8241-FE41293FB763.png
    1FB2A952-6549-4F33-A565-540AA970C0EA.png

15. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Ok.........so the nhtsa shouldn't investigate Tesla's potentially safety concerns? I'm not seeing the reasoning here. The recent Tesla crashes involving emergency vehicles, etc....certainly warrant a look. Sandy is kinda spewing BS here with his rhetoric ( in my opinion, of course ).

BTW - as an example of extreme 'user error' of an ICE vehicle that SHOULD NOT be investigated, check this out. yeah..as Sandy says, ICE vehicles are flammable. Yikes!

This is the notorious Lowry tunnel in Minneapolis. I've driven it many, many times and my daughter has to drive it frequently as well now that she has a 'real job' after graduating from college.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many of those crashes involving Teslas are also user error. Autopilot isn't self driving. The driver shouldn't be taking their attention off the road.

What about crashes involving other makes driver aid systems? Some are nearly as advanced as Autopilot. The odds are some crashes happen because the driver was using the aids, and didn't pay enough attention to the road. Why aren't those getting headlines. How about ones with the Comma system, or do the drivers simply not mention they were using it when a crash does happen?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may think sandy is spewing bs, but this is serious:
    chinas-microsoft-hack-may-have-had-a-bigger-purpose-than-just-spying