1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sanity Check Prius vs. Accord 4dr EX '13

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 26, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ** Putting flame proof suit on **

I don't think Toyota has quite nailed it in a few areas with Prius.

* Driving position bit awkward: long reach to steering wheel and can't use door armrest
    * Interior is a bit dull, no accent pieces, hard plastic
    * Left dead pedal awfully small
    * Light on hill climbing power
    * Strange rattle on light throttle application

Edmunds also mentions awkward driving position and Consumer Reports agrees the interior is laden with hard plastics and 'nothing luxurious'.

Test drove '13 Accord EX 4dr, $26k. Immediately comfortable & better driving car except for the 30 MPGs

2. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

I bought the prius because if i'm going to drive a hybrid it might as well look like one

mad-dog-one likes this.
  3. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I rode my Triumph motorcycle to and from work for several years to save on fuel.

The Prius actually gets better gas mileage, I won't get wet when it's raining, it won't need new tires every 7k miles, and I won't have to wear a helmet anymore.

Everyone's expectations are different. :)

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was pretty fascinated at the notion that Prius gets 46 mpg on my first test drive back in 2008. Was riding motorcycles at the time. high mpgs and hybrid novelty has worn off now it's a quirky ok driving car that's a tad awkward.

5. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are a number of very nice mid-size sedans that provide a faster, quieter, better handling, and more comfortable driving experience than the Prius - but at a much lower MPG point. If you drive a lot of miles per year, the Prius savings add up - but for many folks the noise, slowness, discomfort, etc. of the Prius also add up. I think over the next 5 years, we're going to see continued improvements in hybrid sedans that will provide all the benefits of their gas siblings and MPG equal to what the Prius gets today. Of course, in the same 5 years, the Prius will also gain in comfort, power, and MPGs.

6. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I guess at that point my question is why Accord over anything else? If you're willing to give up on hybrid and/or hatchback there is a pretty wide selection in that mid-$20k price range.

There's quite a few "transparent" hybrids...they just don't get 50MPG. A lot of that has to do with the teardrop shape that makes the Prius stick out. They also cost a little bit more, but a Hybrid Fusion or Camry will give you some of the nicer trim/power/features that the Prius lacks and you can still expect to get ~40MPG which is pretty good for a mid-size sedan.

You can't have everything (at least not yet) so you just gotta figure out what features are most important to you right now and buy accordingly.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From time to time Prius Chat will get a new Poster asking for an opinion about whether they should get a Prius or Car X.

What I always try to evaluate is how much they want a hybrid.

" I was pretty fascinated at the notion that Prius gets 46 mpg on my first test drive back in 2008. I was riding motorcycles at the time too. But the high mpgs and hybrid neatness has been worn down for me. "-cycledrum

Well there you have it. Sounds like the considerable advantages of owning a Hybrid no longer are of value enough to you for you to enjoy your vehicle. That's too bad.....I think you should probably move on....

But most of your complaints? Regardless if they are "Backed by Edmunds, Consumer Reports" or whatever? They are things undeniable to the machine and/or fully subjective.

The driving position? Was the driving position- the first time you test drove it. And "awkward" is a subjective and personal adjective. If it's awkward to you? Again....that's too bad....

Interior is awfully dull? Huh?....comparatively to the vast majority of "regular" vehicles The Prius interior is pretty exciting by comparison. How many regular ICE vehicles have the screens and feedback available in a Prius? That alone makes the Prius interior very interesting IMO.

If you don't like the dash and layout? Well again....subjective...and again...was that way when you first test drove it.

If you don't like the interior? Again....that's too bad.....

Little light on power? ....the specs were available at The Toyota website. The "power" of the vehicle is the power of the vehicle. I don't think the majority of Prius buyers, buy with "power" as a priority. They buy because they want the efficiency of a hybrid.

If you are unhappy with the "power" of The Prius? Again....that's too bad....

Looks so different and everyone knows it as a hybrid? Uh...really? This is a problem why? Again, you were buying a Prius. You either like it for it's distinctiveness or not...too bad you bought a vehicle that is "different" and a hybrid, if it being a hybrid and different was going to be a problem for you......that's too bad.

And finally...the slight rattle on throttle application? Well at least that's not subjective. You might want to get that checked out.

8. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my Prius because of 1) the high mpg 2) Toyota reliability 3) did I say high mpg? I could give a rat's patoot about what my friends/family think about its interior, lol. Looking forward to your reviews of the new Altima, Sonata, Fusion, Malibu, Optima, etc.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Noone is going to point out there is already a plugin hybrid version of the new Accord, and a regular (full) hybrid version coming soon?

10. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pick your poison. I don't disagree with your comment. I think the interior is where the Prius stands to gain the most in Gen 4. Keep the same formula of a unique shape, 55+ combines, but just bring the interior up to standards. It's comfortable for me, and I really love the exterior. Yes, it's a nerdy/dorky kinda love but mine is 3 yrs old and I still look forwarding to driving it.

BornPriiOrDie and mnml like this.
  11. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bet the seating position in the Prius is more comfortable than your Triumph, too. I ride a 1971 Norton 750 Commando and can say that 20 miles on a vintage British motorcycle is less comfortable than 500 in a Prius. I have never had any parts fall off the Prius, but can't say that for my Norton. Regardless of the other issues, the thump of an old British motorcycle beats Prius in the 'cool factor' category.

TwoUnderPar likes this.
  12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be a couple years before making any changes, but I'm looking forward to parting ways with Toyota. Not interested in Fusion hybrid, trunk is small, don't trust reliability and heard it's fairly bland to drive.

I'd like to get to a point of driving less and skip getting a hybrid altogether. Passat said by some to be most 'fun to drive' but no VW, Accord a close 2nd. As usual, even regular Camry not given the nod for fun handling.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, this ...

2012-Toyota-Prius-interior (1).jpg

is sexier than this?

Accord interior.jpg

:whistle:o_O

These two cost about the same. heck, you can get power adjustable driver's seat on a $24k Accord Sport, don't have to look at high $28k Prius Four to get it. Power seat cures some ills. How the heck can you adjust seat bottom tilt without power adjustability??

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but didn't you go from a prius to an accord and back to prius again?

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An Accord Coupe. Will never buy a coupe again. Impractical.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. Kordaat

Kordaat New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Shows how different people are. I test drove many cars for months, never considered a Prius. I decided to take a quick look and was blown away at how cool these cars are, and the MPG was the icing on the cake. The interior is comfortable to me even on long drives and the dash is really cool. Can't wait to get into my Prius III everyday!
    And yes I looked at Honda's too and test drove the Accord, to me most cars looked all the same after a while, except for the Prius.

GSW likes this.
  18. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But where can you get 50 mpg combined on the Accord Sport (which is a brand new model btw)? That's right. You can't. Move along little troll.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never wanted a Prius in the first place (wanted a Camry Hybrid).
    TCH looks good to me now.
    But I think F8L pointed out once, Gen2 seems to fit like a glove.
    I am not taking the glove off anytime soon.
    Questionable if our next car is hybrid though given Virginia anti-hybrid attitiude and taxes.

20. BritBug

BritBug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly I was looking at Honda Insights because I'm coming from a Honda CR-V and have developed a lot of love for Hondas! But after test driving some 2010 Insights and then some 2005-06 Prius's priced $6,000 lower, I fell in love with the Prius. It was WAY more technologically advanced, with a more appealing and comfortable interior. I've not test driven an Accord, but I can tell you the reason I chose a Prius is that they have always been ahead of their time, are priced right, and get maximum fuel efficiency. I also would not get a car that doesn't have fold down seats and a hatch back due to having two large dogs, I'll never own a car with a trunk again, I never used it, but I use my cargo area everyday.