1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sanity Check Prius vs. Accord 4dr EX '13

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 26, 2013.

1. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)New to the Prius, pleasantly, positively surprised. No complaints. Checks all the blocks on my list.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Brand new model and already outselling liftback 2 to 1. Smart key and push button start in EX and above. Hate to break it to you but a whole lloooooooooooooott of people are more than cool with 30 MPG combined.

3. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I agree with you cycledrum on the imperfect Prius and the fact that it might wear you down. Right now the Prius is still mighty cool in my book. I bought the Prius because I wanted to tone down my crazy driving a little bit. I love the exterior styling and is a very comfy and quiet ride compare to my previous cars. It took much will power to walk away from my "Ricers" It was especially hard to decide on the Prius over the Subaru BRZ. The New Accord is a really nice ride. MPG doesn't matter too much in my book. Here's my take on it, keeping the Prius for 6-7 years and drive 100,000 miles 50 MPG VS 30 MPG is a savings of about 5,000 dollars over 7 years. I have never kept a car for over 3 years, I'm trying to make my Prius the first to break to 3 year mark. My point is, if I wanted to save money, MPG would not be the way to go, there are plenty of fun rides at and under 20K. Hopefully, I don't get bored with my Prius any time soon. Sometimes I feel like I'm forcing myself to drive in a way to maximize MPG and forget how much I enjoy having fun on the road.

4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but $40K for the plug-in hybrid Accord puts it in a much different price range.

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed, but comparable to Prius plug-in pricing (before rebates).

cycledrum's post and people's reactions to it just struck me as odd, because I didn't understand why he's comparing an Accord sedan to a Prius. The proper comparison is to a Camry and/or Fusion (more specifically, between a Hycam and an Accord hybrid). It also seemed to imply he would have to give up having a hybrid to get the features he cited, which is why I mentioned the hybrid.

As to the specific points in the post, the only one that struck me as worthwhile was the still awkward seating position, which everyone already agrees on. This is helped a bit by the 8-way adjustable seat.

* Driving position livable but strangely a little awkward ** - True and should be fixed.
    * Interior is awfully dull, no accent pieces, hard plastic and never gets any positive comments from my passengers - Just don't care. Not willing to pay more (in money or weight) for a soft touch interior in a utility car.
    * Little light on power - Plenty of power for me and don't want to pay the mileage price for more.
    * Looks so different and everyone knows it as a hybrid - This is a selling point to most people.
    * Strange little rattle on light throttle application - I have a backseat latch rattle, but I don't consider this a universal trait of the car. I don't find Prius to be unique in the rattle dept.

mnml likes this.
  6. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

7. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

this is the way it worked for me too!

Kordaat likes this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there is a gas price to pay driving a 30 MPG Accord because it's easy to ...

pay 5 to 6 cents per mile extra on gas to drive Accord over Prius. That's about 6 to $720 per year extra on gas.

hmmm, that's a reality check.

But, I'm going to post a picture of the annoying left dead pedal in Prius. stay tuned.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This joke of a dead pedal looks for size 6 shoes, not my US size 12. I see, wear out the carpet above pad, then wet shoes will deposit water to rust out the floorboard. Awesome.

camera.jpg

See proper dead pedal below:
    camera 384.jpg

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your annoyance with your Prius is getting old.

Much More Better likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i also wear a size 12 and have not noticed that at all. sometimes i think there is more to your dislike of the prius than meets the eye.o_O

12. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cycle: Are you just looking for things to nitpick? If I recall correctly, you had a Gen 3, then got an Accord Coupe, now another Gen 3, and still complaining. Maybe it's not the cars........

I drive with both feet, so the dead pedal is non-existant to me.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You think that left footrest is acceptable? Someone need glasses to see shoe is 1/3 bigger than the padded area?

The carpet in mine was starting to wear. I put some double sided tape and sticky velcro to keep a cut up piece of vinyl over the carpet, but got a mess of goopy adhesive after few months because of heat in that area.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you hold your left foot suspended in air while driving or ride the brake? I don't get it. You brake with left foot, bad idea.

15. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been braking with my left foot for 20 years, except when I drove an manual Accord. And I have never been confused under emergency situations. Never rear ended anyone before.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But the problem is if you are trying to do an emergency maneuver or losing control and braking with your left foot, then ...

you have no way of bracing yourself. While braking in an emergency with your left foot, you cannot brace yourself with your right foot because it is hovering somewhere over the gas pedal, or worse yet, hitting it.

You didn't know the left foot is for bracing during an accident to help maintain the best control over the car?

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a shame I never resolved (until now) to avoid buying any car that doesn't have a power adjustable driver's seat. Sometimes feel too much pressure on thighs and could adjust that out in a split second with a power seat. Stupid mechanical adjust seats have no way to adjust front seat cushion height. Took 12 model years of Prius to finally gain a power seat in 2012. :rolleyes:

18. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Truly, I have never heard of that. But it does make total sense.

19. Barefoot

Barefoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm a left foot braker (except in my manual shift car)

One advantage is that I can cover the brake pedal without actually pushing on it when approaching an iffy situation. In the event that the situation gets worse, I can react by braking more quickly.

TwoUnderPar likes this.
  20. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the situation's iffy I prefer to take my foot off of the accelerator.