1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saratoga Springs Toyota Dealer -- Please provide feedback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nyprius, Dec 7, 2007.

1. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've just moved to Saratoga Springs, NY. I was planning on getting my Prius serviced at New Country Toyota on route 50 in Saratoga Springs, NY. I've had my car serviced for two years at Westboro, MA Toyota. They did a great job. I want to find another dealer that I can trust to do a good job at a fair price. Does anyone on PC have experience with New Country? If so, please let me know how they are.

Apparently New Country's regular Prius oil change service costs $80, versus about $30 at most other places. I asked why it was so expensive. They said they check out the hybrid system and other things. That sent up a red flag. The owners manual doesn't call for the hybrid system to be checked every 5,000 miles. I've got 53,000 miles on my Prius. As far as I know, Westboro only checked the hybrid system when they did a major 30,000 mile service. And my car runs perfectly.

The sad thing is that I know the hybrid system doesn't need to be checked every 5,000 miles. But I suspect many other drivers don't. They would trust the dealer when the dealers sells them services they don't need.

If New Country is trying to sell Prius owners services they don't need (and I sincerely hope they are not), it's a very bad business strategy. They might make money off people once or twice. But many wouldn't go back. The smarter approach is to just charge a fair price for work actually needed. This way they keep the customer for years and wind up making a lot more money.

I hope I'm misunderstanding something about New Country's regular oil service policy. They're conveniently located. And I would like to go there, as long as I can trust they'll treat me fairly.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And just how does this qualify for the Main Prius Forum????
    [man, there has been a rash of these things since the PriusChat software upgrade.]

3. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why did you bother to respond if you're going be an idiot.

Maybe someone living elsewhere once lived near Saratoga Springs and is familiar with this dealer.
    Maybe someone on PC has a relative or friend near SS that knows this dealer.
    Maybe someone knows a way of getting feedback about dealers that I'm not aware of.
    Maybe I wanted to maximize my chances of getting feedback on this question.

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think he's got some kind of software glitch on his posts. I wouldn't take it personal.

80 bucks is highway robbery for an oil change.

I'm sure someone will help you out with a good dealership in that area.

5. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks sl7vk!!

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And just maybe 99.999% of the people on the Main Prius Forum don't, or never did, live in or near Saratoga Springs, or don't have a relative or friend near SS who knows about the dealer.

The fact that you "wanted to maximize [your] chances of getting feedback on this question" is not a proper reason for posting it on the Main Prius Forum. Your post is not a "General posts specific to the Prius that can't be categorized in the Forums below."
    Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting or Dealers & Pricing would have been more logical fits.

Ooh, and as for the name calling . . . not a good idea outside of Fred's House of Pancakes . ;)

7. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

8. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Well, unless you're a mod, you really have no business with that type of feedback. And if you are a mod, you could nicely move the thread to the proper (as you deem it..... :rolleyes:) forum.

I'll just run on the assumption that you have way too much time on your hands, aren't a mod, and maybe are going through a bitter divorce..... or something to that effect.

9. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hey calm it down man if your pissed about the thread dont read it. I hate when people play the you shouldn't have posted this card. HATE IT

I live in Albany, NY, very close to toga. (currently serving a "tour of duty" so to say in Boston)

I would not have seen this thread had it not been for his post in the main forum. And I know a few people that have dealt with Toyota dealerships in the area

Now for a real response to the original question:

I bought my prius from Toyota of Clifton Park (also a New Country Dealership) and got it first serviced at 5000 miles at Lia Toyota in Colonie. They charged me 75 bucks for the 5000 milage thing and commented they put in an additive to the oil that allows the toyota engine to run better on 10% ethonol gas.

From reading this forum and looking in the manual this is BS because Toyota cars can already take ethonol fuel.

When 10,000 mi came around I did my own oil change which is what I suggest you do too

Good luck

10. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [QUOTE

From reading this forum and looking in the manual this is BS because Toyota cars can already take ethonol fuel.

When 10,000 mi came around I did my own oil change which is what I suggest you do too

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks SureValla! And sl7vk!

Sounds like New Country likes to overcharge. I think that's a dumb business strategy. If they treat people well, they'll eventually do the repairs, just not as soon. By overcharging, they'll lose most of the repairs since many will go to a more honest dealer.

I'll give them a shot on the oil change and see what kind of vibe I get. I also need new front brakes. I'll probably do that there too. Their prices aren't too much more than Monroe muffler. With the VSC, ABS and traction control, I'd rather have OEM parts.

Thanks again!
    Frank

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Frank,

Hope upstate NY is treating you well.

BTW, whenever my front brake pads need replacing, I'm planning on getting performance ceramic brake pads which I understand provide better than OEM performance: longer wear, less dust, less noise, less fade and, most importantly, shorter stopping distances. In this regard, note that the Prius has a below average 60-0 mph braking distance of 143 feet, as tested by Consumer Reports. I figure that if performance ceramic pads can reduce the braking distance by even a couple of feet, then that'll be a very good thing. apriusfan and I had a discussion about ceramic brake pads here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37375&highlight=ceramic+brake+pads&page=2

Anyway, just a thought for your consideration.

12. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info on the ceramic brake pads! That sounds like the best option -- better performance, less rotor wear, less dust. I called Monroe and Midas for brake prices. They both offer ceramic pads. I'll ask the dealer if they have them too.

Saratoga Springs is a great town. I can actually get around in my Prius, which of course was not the case when I lived in Manhattan. Then I had to rely on the motorcycle, which was exciting!

Cheers, Frank

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads

Sarasota Springs sounds great.

BTW, the performance ceramic brake pads apriusfan got were Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads. TireRack.com seems to rank them higher than other manufacturers' ceramic pads in stopping ability. If you're considering getting them, they cost around $79 online (I don't know what your local Toyota dealer, or Midas or Monroe would charge for them) from autoanything.com:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2911A0A0A1903751.aspx

Happy holidays.

14. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Tom! I'll check these out...