1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a recent report on the identification of An 81 nucleotide deletion in SARS-CoV-2 ORF7a identified from sentinel surveillance in Arizona (Jan-Mar 2020).

The theory is that virus is under selective pressure just like any living organism. The mutation that causes the virus to be less lethal to the host would have an advantage over more virulent variants. A weakened virus that causes the less severe disease is able to spread efficiently through populations by people who are infected but stays relatively asymptomatic. This may be what is happening in more recent cases of Covid-19.

#2201 Salamander_King, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Robert Holt likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the case of viruses, the tried and true treatments for fever and inflammation are going to be true no matter what the disease is.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not according to the scientific and medical articles i am reading, but i have no knowledge myself. seems to me they have a lot to learn on this one, and have already learned some things not previously known.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 2 nieces that are RNs, and one just tested positive for the antibodies, never realizing that she had any bug at all.
    She's now working in the COVID ward.

At first I thought that it's not very credible for an RN to have the COVIDS but remain non-symptomatic but My CFO swears that I've had the COVIDS based on a cold that I got just after CHRISTMAS that really walloped me.
    I even posted about it.....
    Influenza US 2019/2020 and vaccine | Page 4 | PriusChat

So....maybe it's time I got tested.
    BUT - how would a 'usta-have-it' fit into the model?
    How would this effect morbidity data?

Interesting stuff......

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) antibody tests are still iffy

2) research in china is showing some post covid cases lost most antibodies after two weeks

3) lots of people are asymptomatic, haven't read why

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It seems there will likely be many places in the U.S. where there are large surges of hospitalizations/deaths before winter, but not so likely this will be universal nationwide. Enough, however to show up in nationwide averages with more than a tiny blip.

NYC has cooled off but other less dense places are looking hard to replicate to a significant degree by rolling the dice and upping their game.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, there things, like the blood clots, unique to this virus, but others, like cytokine storms, are complications for many infections. Then anti-virals have different effectiveness on different viruses.

But people sick enough with a respiratory infection to be admitted to a hospital are admitted because of high fever or trouble breathing. Treatments for those symptoms are going to be the same, and doctors aren't going to wait for virus test results to start them for bad cases. treating the symptoms is what we mostly have for viruses to begin with.

Assuming all incoming respiratory cases are COVID isn't going to be a big deal, or cause problems. Considering where testing is at, assuming COVID and testing for the flu might be a better chance of getting a patient the correct treatment.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    graph at 2207: is that the perfect lag from contact to icu?

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering that we have long known that there is a significant fraction of Covid-19 carriers that remain asymptomatic, I not sure why one would question the credibility of an RN doing the same.

As for your illness in late December, we had something similar in mid December. It walloped the spouse, wasn't as bad for me but still hit in unusual fashion. Lots of other people reported something similar too.

But some retrospective tests of autopsy samples taken back then haven't found Covid-19 earlier than the California death in early February. The Seattle Flu Study has stored samples of live volunteers going back to November, but their move to retrospectively test for Covid-19 was very quickly halted by orders from above, both federal and state, because it wasn't covered by the original consent agreements.

Spouse asked about those December illnesses during a pre-op physical, and was told that a nasty cold variant was running around.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure was....

I actually looked into the AB test as it is covered by insurance but I'll probably just not worry about it.
    It's been > 6 months.
    Six of the freeking LONGEST months in recorded human history since the Sitskrieg - or so it seems.

There's lots of questions surrounding the accuracy of these tests and in the end.....I would be left with knowledge that I pretty much already have.

Robert Holt likes this.
  12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Bad hotspot with no peak in sight:
    66C5AC67-4F37-4311-A89E-4F43717173AB.jpeg

bwilson4web likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it in CA? I have a feeling we will see more and more of those resurgent "spikes" despite whatever the 45 claimes. With laxed social distancing and opening of more and more of stores and restaurants, my suspicion is that the second wave is going to be worse than the first one. One opinion I read somewhere stated it is an optimistic view if the US death toll from the COVID-19 to stay under 300K.

Never a big fan of crowded places with too many people. No dining out or bar hopping for a foreseeable future for me.

#2213 Salamander_King, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll drink to that!

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Bexar county/ San Antonio, TX. I did my Internal Medicine residency there in the Air Force. Largely suburban city.

There are some hints in the last few days things are starting to heat up with hospitalizations/ICU in the more dense cities of California. But nothing quite like this San Antonio trajectory here (yet).

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of people still in denial

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    swedens state epidemiologist stands by his decision not to shut down, says that how to handle a virus had been studied for years worldwide, and everyone agreed swedens way was the right way.

'it's almost as if the world has gone mad, and forgotten everything we've learned about viruses' - anders tegnell.
    he also claims there's no scientific evidence that masks work...

june 12: swedish home affairs minister mikael damberg says the recent increase in cases is a result of increased testing.

#2217 bisco, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    national geographic: 'here's how to stop the virus from winning' - nsikan akpan

scientists, docs and data geeks will like this one

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the link. Here's how to stop the virus from winning
    Unfortunately, to read the article you have to give it your e-mail address.

Not a bad perspective article, but it's disappointing to not to find anything close to the answer to the title of the article.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it was available on apple news without having to do that.

you didn't buy the harm reduction advice? sounds pretty similar to most of what the experts are saying