1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. RobAustin

RobAustin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
  2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Deaths are on the rise.

We have known 20-40 year olds have been driving most of the large increases in new cases over the last couple of months and that they are at much lower risk of serious effects and deaths. But this does not mean there are no sober consequences of this scenario. If enough of them contract the disease serious illness and mortality would eventually rise.

We’ve already seen serious illness rise over the last 1-2 weeks as manifest through increased hospitalizations, and now deaths are climbing.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank for the clarification. how are you folks holding up capacity wise? i see some areas are starting to overflow

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Locally, in this part of northern California, things are heating up but manageable at the moment bed/staffing-wise. Southern California is a different story.

bisco likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep ~ one of the downsides of living literally on top of each other. We've owned rental condos, and put a deposit on a high-rise retirement condo out of state. No thanks - Got our deposit back last march & won't ever think about close living space again.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    supposedly, people are bailing out of nyc. idk if it's true or hype, but i suppose we'll find out eventually.

might solve the housing problem finally, but suburban sprawl will probably be exacerbated

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Rachel Maddow reports San Quentin and other prisons became super-spreaders. However the county maps don't support that report. S. California is on fire!

Bob Wilson

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Very few states are holding the line on new cases. A few more are increasing only slowly. None, I think, satisfy national guidelines for uninhibited lung play.

Most states have new cases growing rapidly. With national guidelines being ignored at all levels, it is down to personal decisions to limit this epidemic. Please make good decisions, my friends.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not easy with who guidelines constantly being challenged by scientists. only thing to do is wrap yourself in plastic and stay home.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now, old peope are telling their middle aged children they don't care anymore. 'if i die, i die. i'm going to marjong club!'

11. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ah Novavax. I can tell you a little about Novavax. They were developing a universal flu vaccine. That's a vaccine that works against many, if not all flus. So you get one shot and you are done--no worries about the flu mutating to get around your immunity. No shots every year to handle the latest flu mutations. I thought it sounded great, so I bought some stock. Unfortunately I don't know much about biotech companies. It turns out there are at least 7 companies working on this, and most of them were bigger than Novavax. So for this and other reasons (I think some other drug they were working on didn't pan out), their stock plummeted to almost nothing.

What the hell, I thought. Might as well just hold onto it for now. Then along comes Coronavirus. First, a mention about their flu vaccine. They use this trick where you take a harmless virus and dress it up to look to your immune system like the nasty virus you are trying to build antibodies against. Flumist uses this trick, as well as the Chinese Coronavirus vaccine. It is a way to develop a vaccine really quickly. Novavax thought: "Why don't we use the same base harmless virus we were using for our flu vaccine, then make it look like a Coronavirus, to quickly make a Coronavirus vaccine?" It turns out their flu vaccine has gotten pretty far--well into human trials. That means that the base vaccine has already proven safe to some extent. This has allowed them to move much faster in vaccine development than a lot of the big guys. The other problem is production. They've since partnered with another company that is capable of producing billions of vaccine doses in very short time.

The company is already doing human trials in Australia.

So...it turned out to be a pretty good stock buy after all.

As I mentioned earlier, though, my expertise does not include anything to do with biology, so I can't say what chance their vaccine has of working. From a layman's point of view, it looks pretty good.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Not much to do from armchair analytics side until some case-growth states inflect downward. That will be newsworthy and (as posted long ago) I watch

https://covidtracking.com/data/api

for that.

Robert Holt likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm watching orange county with the parks opening

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    George Soros used to be a nucleus for conspiracy theories. (Maybe he still is.)

But more recently Bill Gates has been fodder. Then 5G was rolled in. Then add Covod-19 ...

NPR: Anatomy Of A COVID-19 Conspiracy Theory

"Conspiracy theories need just the right ingredients to take off within a population, and the COVID-19 pandemic has been a breeding ground for them. A Pew Research Center survey recently asked people if they had heard the theory that the COVID-19 outbreak was intentionally planned by people in power. Seventy-one percent of U.S. adults said they had. And a third of those respondents said it was "definitely" or "probably" true.

One version of this theory goes something like this: The COVID-19 pandemic is part of a strategy conceived by global elites — such as Bill Gates — to roll out vaccinations with tracking chips that would later be activated by 5G, the technology used by cellular networks."

"... Enough traction that more than 70 cellphone towers were set on fire in the United Kingdom in April and May because of their alleged link to the spread of the virus, ..."

15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Reminds me a little bit of when we first bought our Prius in 2008 and were reading about if we should wear tinfoil hats to protect us from EMF generated by the car and people discussing if they were putting their children at risk transporting them in the back of a Prius and exposing their young bodies to excess EMF.

Never mind that it is alternating current that generates EMF not DC current or that the Prius was one of the safest most reliable cars at the time.

(I do know that the Prius use an Inverter/ converter to change the DC to AC current.)

#2355 John321, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it does

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    haven't heard much from gates lately. he was all over the place not too long ago, spreading his pandemic expertise around.
    someone put the muffler on him?

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been only about two weeks since I last saw news of him being interviewed. Far far more recent than Trump last conferred with Fauci.
    DC does too, but the Earth's own magnetic field is competitive with that. A object's own motion through a static field creates excitation.
    The bulk of that is very well localized in a small space. Remember the inverse-R-squared rule for reduction with distance.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, but the rest of it quantum-tunnels into my dryer and makes my socks disappear.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Because of parity exclusion only half a pair of socks tunnels away.

You, sir, are about 10% of the way to your first Journal of Irreproducible Results publication. Press On.