1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the same "hide in your bunker" for X amount of days/weeks philosophy ..... if it worked - couldn't it also be applied to regular flu, or even the common cold?
    Or - are these bugs still lying around, just waiting to get picked up again.
    Or - based on the law of entropy - where everything - (including our ever decaying genetic code - getting older & older) is on the decline, including our ability to pass on decent bug fighting skills to the next generation ... perhaps the virus is just the 1st wave .... a bug that never affected anybody previously because our imune system was higher last generation. Gamma rays, x-rays, UV rays, cosmic rays, big ol' hole in the ozone layer ... genetically modified foods, ingestion of man-made molecules from additives to pesticides to the ½ dozen simultaneous vaccinations given, to the dirty air we create & then breathe.
    DNA be like, "oops ... forgot how to string that immunity chain .... oh well"
    Patching the harm we've done to ourselves is going to make me want to start buying more stock in big Pharma.

Montgomery likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Influenza viruses and other viruses that causes common cold are already endemic in our population There are always certain numbers of infected individuals among us. Yeah, in theory, if we isolate every single person carrying the virus for two weeks or maybe bit longer from others, we can eradicate those viruses too. But at what cost? Besides, that's not saying anything about future outbreaks of new strains of viruses that is sure to jump from animal hosts to human. As long as human population exists, there will be virus outbreaks.

#2622 Salamander_King, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Montgomery likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you would also have to permanently discontinue international travel. talk about border leaks.

dr fauci did say that he would be happy if people never shook hands again

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, combine that with evidence that built-up immunities to other coronaviruses (the ones that cause about 20% of common colds) fade away in less than a decade, so previous patients can get it again, and again. If this one acts the same, ...

Even for the old childhood diseases that spread even more rapidly but produced lifetime immunity, they kept going on forever thanks to the birthrate of fresh new unexposed immune systems, currently roughly 4 million new unts per year in the U.S., 140 million annually worldwide.

Did anyone else notice in that news about the coronavirus outbreak among a team of Chinese miners in 2012, the Wuhan lab "detected nine coronaviruses species, of which six were never classified and one was RaTG13. (Recalled that RaTG13 is a bat sarbecovirus that is 96% identical to SARS-CoV-2)"? That RaTG13 seems to be a possible precursor to Covid-19 that continued evolving in its wild habitat (*) until finding another opportunity to cross the species boundary.

But there seem to be plenty more possible future diseases already waiting in the wings in that single mine/bat-cave alone. And there would be an untold number of other wild places for similar pathogen stashes to hide away.

(*) There are some conspiracy theories that it somehow escaped from the Wuhan lab to create this pandemic, but a continued infestation in its prior wild habitats, with additional genetic drift, seems much more plausible to me.

#2624 fuzzy1, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Montgomery likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i posted that, but couldn't find any source besides the ny post

fuzzy1 likes this.
  6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Salamander and Hill you both get my point. And bring up the questions that I had in my mind. I will continue wear my mask, protect my family, wash my hands and just wait till the vaccine miracle arrives.

Mark57 and Salamander_King like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found several others with additional details / speculations / conspiracies. We'll have to watch to see if anything more comes of it. But at least from what I saw, evil intent or lab incompetence did not seem to be necessary or even likely ingredients.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another down day for the world and us!(y)

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    US overall is decreasing new cases.and holding steady on new deaths. Euro in general is the opposite. Within both there are less cheerful areas. Illinois cases are increasing. CA, IA, IN, MI, MO and NC cases are not decreasing. Good that many other states are decreasing, and hoping that urges to send lungs back to school will not reverse those trends.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the way we are going, but i don't hold a lot of hope for the future. 2nd wave seems inevitable

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It has (always) been about identifying and isolating virus carriers, and making mobile lungs interact less. Countries etc. vary greatly in doing these, and their doing varies through time.

Broadly we seem to be unteachable, so at least one more round seems likely to follow. That 2 by 4 to side of head might 'teach' and we might exit with < 2 million dead from COVID.

Merkey likes this.
  12. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my flu shot from Costco last Monday. At 70 and running 5 miles/day, I hope I have those going for me.

iplug and Mark57 like this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The insistence of "in class room teaching" is about to identify new 'hot spots.' My expectation this will last about 2-3 weeks and then the 'facepalm' moment that will get the rest of the schools on virtual learning ... a good thing.

Bob Wilson

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the sad part is, we are now getting 2 x foured by our esteemed college and university administrators, who are putting money ahead of science.

ILuvMyPriusToo likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whoa! worldwide numbers waaaaaaayyyyy down. maybe this thing is gonna end sooner than i thought.

i know, i know, it's sunday...

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In class school just started. Let’s check back in:
    • 10-14 days - incubation
    • 30 days - 80% recovery at home
    • 44 days - 15% hospital recovery
    • 60 days - funerals
    Bob Wilson

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, see post #2635

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are already getting initial reports for that first item related to the Sturgis rally, from three states as of yesterday.

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The current projection of COVID-19 death by Dec 1, 2020, for the US
    • Mandates easing: 421,242 death if continued easing of social distancing mandates, and mandates are not re-imposed.
    • Current projection: 309,917 death if mandates are re-imposed for 6 weeks whenever daily deaths reach 8 per million (0.8 per 100k).
    • Universal masks: 240,891 death if 95% mask usage in public in every location, reaching levels seen in Singapore. Mandates are re-imposed for 6 weeks if daily deaths reach 8 per million (0.8 per 100k).

Source: COVID-19
    Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 8.14.41 PM.png

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the trouble with scientists (human nature)

time: aug 25, 2020

interesting article written by professor jose-luis jimenez, university of colorado, boulder.

'covid 19 is transmitted through aerosols. we have enough evidence, now is the time to act'

cdc and who are still downplaying it, even after changing their stance after receiving a letter signed by over 200 scientists.