1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you. The 'usual suspects' were there but I didn't see the Russian vaccine:
    Russia coronavirus: Reality bites for Putin's Sputnik V vaccine, as concerns over efficacy and safety linger - CNN

It sounds like the Russians may be shorting some of the normal testing steps. Regardless, masks and distance remains the best technique today.

Bob Wilson

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fda approves eli lilly's banlanivimab antibody treatment for those over 12 years old with mild to moderate symptoms.

3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My question about the potential vaccine that has to be stored at like -70° is do they thaw it at all before injecting you? That would be one cold shot. :eek: Woof!

Data Daedalus and spiderman like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    -70°C storage requirement is due to inherent RNA molecule stability issue. At higher temperature RNase (enzyme that break down RNA molecule) can degrade the integrity of the RNA based vaccine. They have to be stored and handled at the lowest possible temperature to minimize degradation but I don't believe it can be injectable at that temperature. I don't know what type of media they are in and what type of delivery method would be used for the vaccine, but yeah, it has to be thawed before administering to people.

Edit: According to this article, Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine must be stored and transported at or below -70°C (-94 degrees Fahrenheit) and once thawed it remains stable for only 24 hours in a refrigerator. This limits the distribution and administration of the vaccine to only centralized location which will make the large population vaccination very impractical. Compared to Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, Moderna's vaccine if it can be successfully developed needs to be stored and transported at -20°C (-4 degrees Fahrenheit) and can be kept in a refrigerator below 46 degrees for up to seven days. This makes Moderna's vaccine much more amenable to wider distribution and administration.

#2944 Salamander_King, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Means infections prevented. This was from phase 3 randomized double blinded placebo controlled trials. Some got the vaccine, others got sterile saline.

About 80% of people are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic from COVID infection. So what we need to learn next is does this decrease infection risk 90%+ across the board to include moderate to severe cases such as those who get hospitalized, artificially ventilated, and/or those who would otherwise die? If that is the case, this is extremely encouraging.

Pfizer says an independent data monitoring board looked at 94 infections, but haven't explained any of the aforementioned details AFAIK.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By my reading of their press release yesterday, I think it is across the board. Those enrolled are tested regularly for infection, regardless of the severity of symptoms.

Also, the efficacy was quoted as ‘at least 90%...’

-70°C is usually quoted as meaning liquid nitrogen storage in our labs. Staff need to be trained up on the safety procedures and operating policies.

7. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Their press release also says that their planned endpoint was when they reached 164 cases. They have 94 now, so I would expect them to continue and stick to their plan for completion.

8. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a separate note, here is an interesting article passed on via our Royal College of Physicians, exploring the concept of fake news and science denials by using the understanding we have of certain rare conditions in which these mindsets are characteristic.

It is a quick and interesting read. Capgras syndrome occurs in a type of dementia and causes the patient to have the false belief that their loved one has been replaced by an imposter. The neurological pathways are reasonably well understood and the lack of reliable sensory data reaching the appropriate part of the brain is the simplistic explanation.

This may offer a useful insight when considering how the public view COVID-19. If we receive wrong, insufficient, indigestible or conflicting information we will not be able to process it, and false beliefs will occur as the brain seeks other sources of data.

We recently had a Prime Minister’s press conference explaining the need to go back into a second ‘lockdown’ where several complicated graphs and charts were shown. If the audience is not used to rapidly assessing and understanding this kind of material, then this is the kind of situation which will lead the brain to seek messages that are simpler, more reassuring and those that deny the existence of a threat.

Perhaps obvious, but how the message is delivered is as important as the recipient’s ability to receive it...

Science Denial and COVID Conspiracy Theories: Potential Neurological Mechanisms and Possible Responses | Dementia and Cognitive Impairment | JAMA | JAMA Network

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  9. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you can find data, please post. I have asked other colleagues and they also noted they have come across no subgroup reporting. That is to say, no report to say (yet) a 90%+ reduction of COVID hospitalizations, patients put on ventilators, or deaths in the treatments arm.

If the 90%+ reduction is almost entirely relegated to the mildly symptomatic to asymptomatic subgroups, that would be disappointing. If it carries well into the moderate to severe disease categories, that is a very big game changer.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Liquid nitrogen has a boiling point of –320°F (–196°C). I think the storage for RNA is OK in regular ultra low temperature freezer also known as Harris Freezer that can sustain -80°C.

Data Daedalus and Trollbait like this.
  11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah and it has to go in the butt too. :)

12. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That one is also a two shot version. Double Woof.

13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, that is the target temp.
    And they don't KNOW yet that is even really needed.
    That is one of the additional tests that will be short-circuited because of the rush.
    And yes, they have to "thaw it out" before administering it.

14. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that by march 2021, we should have 3 vaccines approved, various ways to distbribute it, and a much lower spead of this thing. I believe in humanity. I believe we are smarter than the virus. I believe we will succeed.

Data Daedalus, t_newt and bwilson4web like this.
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The evening news reported that Tennesse counties without mask ordinances have 2x the COVID-19 rate.

Bob Wilson

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it means the pfizer ceo sold 62% of his stock on the news release

iplug likes this.
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I don't think Pfizer will provide additional details until weeks after second injection. They have about 44 thousand enrolled, half placebo and half real jab. So far 94 of that total have tested positive for covid. I interpret 90% as meaning that 90% of the 94 are on the placebo side.

==
    A barrier to scaling up Pfizer's vaccine, and the others based on mRNA, is that they need to be kept at -80 oC until just before the target arm is ready to receive. If somebody is making such a freezer that can run on 12 volts (for solar in remote locations) that would be nifty but I don't see any.

==
    WHO long document on current vaccines' status, about one week old so still pretty fresh:

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/draft-landscape-of-covid-19-candidate-vaccines

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    @GreenJuice, -80 oC is dry ice (CO2). Liquid nitrogen is is about -200 oC. Confusion may occur because latter is also 77 o Kelvin (the absolute scale)

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In the future we can anticipate more medical needs for ultracold in remote locations. If some logistics company wrote a grant proposal to Gates Foundation (or a few similar), for the above, they could probably get funded.

Or self fund the project and get a halo to wear. OK I'll send FedEx an email :)