1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    76,600 cases, 2,200 deaths

who leader says the containment window is closing. all the best doc!

#301 bisco, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2020
  2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Chinese testing vitamin C against virus. I'm sure it will help, but they really need to try multiple IVs per day, not just one. Or maybe a continuous drip. A teaspoon of ascorbic acid orally suppressed allergy symptoms in Dr. Robert Cathcart for about 4 hours. 2 hours when he got a cold. The stuff is effective, but short lifetime. And it doesn't have to be sole remedy, use everything else as well.

Three Intravenous Vitamin C Research Studies Approved for Treating COVID-19

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what happened to the ancient art of chinese holistic healing?:rolleyes:

wherefore the accupuncture?witch doctors? herbal medicine men?

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How do you know they aren't already fully employing that? It's pretty darn impressive that they've only got 70-80k infections in a place containing a huge city.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    marion koopmans, head of viroscience at erasmus university medicalcenter in rotterdam:

'this outbreak is rapidily becoming the first true pandemic challenge tat fits the disease x category predicted by who years ago.

i'm not impressed. yet. we'll see

'we are not seeing community spread here in the u.s. yet, but it's very possible, even likely, that it will eventually happen'

-nancy messonnier- director of cdc's national center for immunization and respiratory disease's

li wenliang, the 34 year old ophthalmologist who first reported the disease, died after receiving antibodies, antivirals, antibiotics, oxygen and having his blood pumped through an artificial lung.

the doctor, who was in good health prior to the infection, appeared to have a relatively mild case until his lungs became inflamed, leading to his death 2 days later. a similar pattern of inflammation to the spanish flu, noted gregory poland, prof emeritus at the mayo clinic.

south korean cases doubled to 433, mostly due to a psych hospital and religious sect

#305 bisco, Feb 22, 2020
    litesong likes this.
  6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While you're in Florida, you may want to attend a service of the Church of Perpetual Life in Hollywood. Their next meeting is Thursday, February 27 at 7:00 PM. It's not Chinese, but just a piece of Florida culture.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I don’t think so, thanks.
    I’ll google it though. I feel a lot safer with the internet between me and a bunch of people who have lost their way :cool:

Funny, if the progrom doesn’t work, they’ll freeze you for future rehabilitation :p

#307 bisco, Feb 22, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doesn't work yet, they're still searching. But instead of "dying", they prefer the term "deanimate". And the term for rehabilitation is "reanimate". The basic tenet is that aging is a disease, worthy of research and treatment just like any other disease.

bisco likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Spanish flu killed many beyond the usual suspects(children, old, immunocompromised), paticularly young adults.

Any breakdown of COVID-19 fatality demographics?

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Getting back to vitamin C and virus. Dr. Levy was involved in curing a case of "white out" pneumonia in New Zealand. The patient was on life support and the doctors were ready to pull the plug. His relatives called in Dr. Levy from the US and he recommended IV and then lyposomal vitamin C. The doctors were hostile to even trying it. It actually required legal threats to force usage of C. He eventually got the IV C and fully recovered. No thanks to the doctors who regarded his case as hopeless.

For some background on treatment of severe illness with vitamin C, see Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, and Toxins: Curing the Incurable, by Thomas E. Levy, M.D., J.D. at the website levy

SFO likes this.
  11. George W

George W Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2nd confirmed case in San Antonio, and I read that the US-wide their are 6 in total.

litesong likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    off the top of my head, mostly older, or weaker, except none under 15, and that age group is barely contracting it

Costa Mesa gets temporary injunction to stop authorities from moving patients from hospital to quarantine.
    City officials say they were never consulted, or given any plan details

#312 bisco, Feb 22, 2020
    Trollbait likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two days ahgo, it was 14 detected in the U.S., plus 21 repatriated cases from Wuhan and the Diamond Pricess:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S. | CDC

That page updated Monday / Wednesday / Friday.

#313 fuzzy1, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    litesong likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dad just repeated a story from long ago. His mother (my step-grandmother) was already a school teacher during the 1918 Influenza Pandemic. She remembered many students going home, and a significant portion never returning.

litesong likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wifes grandfather died from it in the early 1900's. grandmother died giving birth to my wifes father. he was raised by an aunt and uncle

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    litesong and fuzzy1 like this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That can be said on multiple fronts;).

Sometimes we pull back the curtain and meet some of the avatars in person though:).

Personal interaction(y).

SFO and bisco like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    77,700 cases, 2,450 deaths

litesong likes this.
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    One product newly arriving on Kunming market shelves is hand sanitizer with 70% ethanol. Perhaps not new but now featured. About USD$3 equiv for a 50 ml bottle. And so, a lecture :D

Virus including corona have RNA inside in a protein wrapper. Proteins and lipids and sugary things outside. Proteins in particular are 'denatured' by ethanol which means they lose their shape and and at least some aspects of function. So, hand sanitizers like this are effective. A few very bad boys including polio virus are more resistant, but no evidence that coronas can escape. So if you've got 'it' on your hands and have a good spray and work it in, probably OK.

However you have not affected airborne transmission, nor probably got well under your fingernails (mine are short now for a reason!) and next thing you touch might be a bingo.

So masks (with incomplete protection) and proper handwashing after returning to 'shelter' are still part of the game. All that stuff you bought while out was handled and dropletted, and form the last obsessive frontier.

Can't really take down all the little buggers. As stated before, it is good to be in a city with few diagnosed actives, all behind several layers of plastic, and that number has been falling by way of recoveries. It does not mean virus are not on the street, but it is a very different situation than Wuhan and around there.

==
    Enough for now. I notice city buses are being eased back into service and sooner or later I'll be compelled to ride on those wheels of fortune.

litesong and Merkey like this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Contact time is another factor for sanitizers. The triclosan in antibacterial hand soaps requires a minute to be effective. Most people don't wash their hands for a full minute, if they do in the first place.

tochatihu likes this.