1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrs b just came back from her physical, only one covid patient in the hospital

privilege likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was a chain smoker once. (But I quit a long time ago in my early twenty while in college.) But if I am still a heavy smoker now, it would be more incentive to get vaccinated.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but only from a reformed point of view :cool:

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when my niece and family were living in paris on a teaching sabbatical, they were very restricted in movement, and had to carry papers when out for whatever was allowed. much different than here, but i never asked about vaccine hesitancy, although she's kind of neurotic herself, so it might be a moot point.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I must have had a death wish when I was younger. Heavy smoking, no seat belt, and nightly bar hopping. LOL Now I am enlightened.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think most of us did. i'm 66, so that put me squarely in the late 60's early 70's :eek:

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We're a lot closer to the finish line than we were back then....

hill likes this.
  8. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There has been a lot of vaccine hesitancy here in Australia after mixed messages from the Govt and a total sh*tte show regarding the whole vaccine roll out with our fearless leader, ScMo, frantically trying to shove off responsibility for anything that isn't good news ...... but anything even close to good news then it's all because of his great leadership even if it was nothing to do with anything the govt did .... the usual story eh :lol:
    Now we have yet another outbreak and a state lock down and people are falling over themselves trying to get an appointment for any vaccine .... but now the p*ss poor organisational skills of our fearless leader and his mates has come to the fore ...... the vaccines might be in the country but not where they need to be, in the vaccination clinics ...... ya gotta wonder how these people survived all these yrs, their mums must have been following them everywhere to make sure they knew how to dress themselves etc

T1 Terry

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Good Times!

but back in our day - the medical industry touted a miracle drug called thalidomide, a miracle drug, until female user's babies were born with flippers instead of arms. Not necessarily a knock on all the vaccines coursing through the veins of yours truly, but a bit-o-caution goes a long way - sometimes.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. we won't know about long term effects until long term. for me, i prefer the risk of the vax over the virus. but everyone should get to make their own choice. the good news is that whatever you choose, you'll be with 50% of the population

hill and privilege like this.
  11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Except one of those groups will probably shrink faster than the other.

Mike

Raytheeagle, bwilson4web and bisco like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure how one group is going to be able to grow itself back up to 50%. It has already shrunk to barely 40% of the eligible (age12+) population. And continues to shrink.

upload_2021-5-27_15-17-14.png

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The main lesson of thalidomide was that LD50 testing in a (single species) animal model is not sufficient to demonstrate human safety.

Because it turned out to be something of a war hammer, it also elucidated pathways by which embryos differentiate cells into limbs. That is useful knowledge, but not enough to distract attention from all those flipperkids.

#3733 tochatihu, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cvs is raffling superbowl tix, not sure who is footing the bill, but these desperate attempts are an interesting idea. i wonder what percent they will tack on to the current total

on the other side of the ledger, what kind of person won't get a vax without incentive? the same that sells their blood?

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Smallpox was a very harmful viral disease for humans, with high lethality and very high transmissibility. It was the first target for vaccine design and delivery. It was declared globally ended in 1980.

Readers who do not want to be worried by this would choose to stop reading this now. But you will miss some good stuff.

Functional samples of smallpox virus are probably stored in one or more labs. It may also have been ‘weaponized’ which means optimizing storage and transmission aspects for warfare. At least most of its genetic sequence is in the public domain, which was no big deal in 1980, but genomes can now be cooked up by skilled amateurs.

Humans (all, I guess) older than 50 years received childhood vaccinations, but younger ones have not. Vaccines seem to be effective on decade scale, meaning that most of the human population may now be ‘available’ if the virus reappears. To my knowledge, only a few medical workers and an unknown fraction of military forces are currently effectively vaccinated.

To be very clear, this virus is not out and about. But that it never could be again cannot be assured.

UN seems to have >30 million doses of vaccine in storage, US seems to have <100 million, and no further information is readily available. At first pass, making more might seem like a good idea. But that requires thawing out the bad boys and making mucho vaccines in (one would hope) level 4 biocontainment labs. Some risks could be anticipated.

But here is my reward for readers. Now mRNA vaccines can be, are being made, and are a big part of sending COVID back to bats where it belongs. TA-DAH! Without thawing smallpox virus, just build RNA oligonucleotide from smallpox genome sequence (more or less) in public domain. Such ‘blueprint’ vaccines are not infective nor effective viral agents. They were hypothetical before COVID, but there you go. New tech good.

Somebody would need to provide (oh let’s say) a billion USD to upscale mRNA production for this, but it is extensible to many other human-infectious agents, as recent genetic sequencing flurries have revealed their ‘ACGT’. My point is that making these first mRNA vaccines against COVID has opened a door. Human immune system is superb (notice that we have survived), trainable, but initially naive. Go big on this. Smallpox is only a sparkly example; I or better qualified medicos here could easily name 50 other targets.

There are many worse ways to spend a billion, and I’d be very disappointed if Big Pharma is not several steps ahead in this matter.

But I’m talking to you. Horse -> petrol -> hybrid -> electric vehicles. Ride the wave.

Merkey likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everything open here, rain drove everyone inside for memorial day weekend. will be watching the numbers around june 15th, should be a pretty good indicator for this fall/winter

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is about 2-3 orders of magnitude between the cost of a COVID-19 case versus incentives to get the remaining population vaccinated. For example, my wife spent ~5 hours in the ER and insurance covered $20k and we had a $550 copay. That $20k would buy a lot of arms to vaccinate.

Bob Wilson

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just curious how how the COVID-19 virus might be traced to a zoological host? For that matter, influenza too?

Any recommendations?

Bob Wilson

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same way they solve other crimes......

...DNA.