1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.

Historically, we've seen many postings advocating vitamins as a preventative or treatment for pretty much anything. Those and other nostrums like hydroxychloroquine need more than an internet posting to be convincing. Sadly this abstract does not discuss the mechanism "... off-label use of the FDA-approved medication ivermectin against COVID-19" works. "The antiparasitic ivermectin, with antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, has now been tested in numerous clinical trials."

In contrast, monoclonal antibody treatments have a well proven and known effectiveness against COVID-19. Given my completed vaccination status, I'm at low risk of a breakthrough COVID-19 infection but I would go monoclonal treatment first.

Bob Wilson

#3922 bwilson4web, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have read hopeful comments from mainstream docs and scientists about ivermectin, we just need more studies.
    you can't count on big pharma to do studies of existing low profit drugs

privilege likes this.
  4. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    how many ? my understanding from the tiny number of stats (the ones that have sources!) I've read is that this effects the 70+ age groups much higher than any other.

of course, we still have to wonder how many people died in car crashes, heart attacks, lightning strikes, and the flu.... but were labeled as The Blessed Virus casualties to propagate more fear mongering... kind of like "scary Varient x is coming ! second wave ! children too !"kind of stuff

5. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

eggs zachery

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not knowing how a drug works doesn't mean it doesn't.

privilege likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i think you're way off base. it isn't hard to find data. i only follow massachusetts because that's my area of interest.
    mdph has a decent website with age groups by decade. the large numbers of seniors made the others seem small, but when you looked closely, they quite large, and not something i'd want to dally with if i were younger.
    i'm not sure where car accidents or the flu come into play with covid. if i don't get a vaccination, am i more likely to die in a car crash?

#3927 bisco, Jun 22, 2021
    privilege likes this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Figures don't lie....but liars DO figure.

Hospitals get x for spitting out a death cert.
    They get x+y for spitting out a cert that lists the Rona as a primary cause probably NOT because they're trying to amp up the numbers, but rather they get more dot.gov cheese for dealing with a Rona victim.

Simple economics, and most hospitals want to stay open.

However (COMMA!) as they say in the opening sentences of many political "fact-check" colums....it's not as simple as that, and you have to remember that in "some" places where they were injecting covid into old people homes...AND there were political incentives to UNDER-report Rona deaths before the money spooled up to bend the numbers the other way.
    Also....people are starting to figure out that this dampanic started a little earlier than March 2020.....or (some say) even January, so it's possible that there were some deaths attributed to the regular old, garden variety flu.
    Remember.....there USED to be a time when suggesting that people die from influenza did NOT get your tweets blocked. ;)

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

I think it's safe to say that "about" 600,000 have died in the US so far from the bug....roughly the same number that many think died in 1919 (when we didn't have so many people in the US....OR "professionals" trying to figure stuff out.)

I'm vaccinated, so the Delta variant doesn't scare me much at all.
    I know of ONE probable breakout case involving an octogenarian, and she reported mild-to-moderate symptoms requiring nothing more than OTC meds and a little bed-rest.

Meh.

Common sense says that we should export the vaccine and give it out to those smart enough to get the jab.
    This will perhaps reduce the number of different variants and keep the bug from turning into something a little tougher to contain.

privilege likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    vaccination numbers are dropping quickly, even here in ma. not sure any amout of outside the box thinking is going to convince the rest of the population.

privilege likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It did last year, before any vaccines were available.

But now that that age group is almost fully vaccinated (or already had the disease, or already dead from it), the hardest virus impacts now are mostly hitting a younger contingent with lower vaccination rates.
    The still-preliminary U.S. death count for 2020 is 3,389,700 deaths. (Check back daily for new tallies.)

That is over 534,000 more than the 2019 death toll of 2,854,838, a nearly 19% increase. Normal year-over-year increases are less than 1%.

The official Covid death count for 2020 is just 384,977 (so far, the CDC is still counting as more deaths certificates are processed), so that still means an increase of 150,000 other deaths over 2019 that are not labeled as Covid.

#3930 fuzzy1, Jun 22, 2021
    privilege and Zythryn like this.
  11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Smallpox era, they'd run you & your family right out of town. & iirc, once they caught up with Typhoid Mary - they locked her up permanently.
    (edit)
    Yep - she
    Mary Mallon - Wikipedia
    So it's a little Kinder and gentler than the olden days

#3932 hill, Jun 22, 2021
  13. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tc, please try to find it in some underground youtube blog. no one believes the msm anymore

privilege likes this.
  16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quoted by whom?
    Complete quote?
    ..in context?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whaddayawant, everything?

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Interesting thought that Duterte's quoted excerpts could have been smoothed out, were only more context supplied. The abundance of quoting websites is remarkable. But folks have 'moved on', because it is no big deal for Duterte to fulminate like this.

Persistently denying what he said is a poor choice of hill to die on IMHO

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe so, but a pretty common one these days

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    meanwhile, the virus continues to shrink here in mass ha choo setts, but so are vaccinations. most vax centers are closing, and it looks like we'll be heading into the fall without herd immunity and the delta variant