1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    rental shortage... is that like the change shortage , so they could round up your bill , or a real shortage ?

making people wear face diapers is really bothersome. it's much easier to brainwash them into doing it themselves. social/peer pressure to continue doing so helps too. maybe that's why it's the biggest worldwide example of 24/7 propaganda to date ?

about forcing people to be vaccinated... yup, they can TRY, and the resulting backlash would be deadly.

it's so much easier to convince people to walk in lines to their demise

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, this mask, aka diaper, is just killing me

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope....that's a Real-World shortage.

The "coin shortage" wasn't a shortage in coins but rather a breakdown in distribution in some parts of the US.
    The USUAL parts.

Cars are different.
    When they effectively shut down the economy last year, rental car companies sold off a lot of their cars to cut maintenance expenses, and gain some fluidity.
    They didn't WANT to. They had to in order to survive.
    It's sorta like eating your tail.
    Remember....car manufacturers ALSO stopped punching out as many cars because (a) people weren't buying them and (b) some of the states that cars are manufactured in had more 'lockdown' laws than others.
    The USUAL ones.

There also is was and IS a "chip shortage" that may or may not be real-world - depending on how you feel about the Pacific Pivot ('pivots" by definition, go both ways.)

Chip manufacturing, like battery manufacturing isn't pretty.
    LOCAL, CHEAP, ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY.
    ...pick one.
    OEMs did.
    ..and most of the CHEAP CHIPS are not made domestically.

Yes.
    It is "arguable" that you can have "local" and "eco-friendly" but we have 52 different states, and unless some of them are lying, all of them aren't eco-chic enough - otherwise we'd either have 0 or 52 CARB states. ;)

You can forget your history, but your history does not forget YOU.
    Martial law occurs when a region, state, city, or the whole United States is placed under the control of a military body....and you're right.
    The results can be deadly sometimes....but the end result is ALWAYS the same.

We only have a few examples of martial law in the US.
    There were some during the civil war.
    The Chigaco fire.
    San Fran's earthquake.
    Some labor riots here and there.
    Hawaii during Dubbaya Dubbaya Twice.
    Curiously, the most recent (LA - '92) is not present on the wiki page - which is why people should not use wikipedia as a primary reference source.... :unsure:

If they issue a vax-mandate under martial law, you DO have the "Branch Davidian" option, and under the snowflake rule, you can probably hang out in your little compound, and in many cases dot.gov WILL probably even leave you alone.........maybe.

YMMV

#3963 ETC(SS), Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Merkey likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've sometimes gone and corrected a Wikipedia article when something was clearly left out. But in this case I think I'll have to let it stand:

(Green coloring mine.) If that article from the Brennan Center is accurate, Wikipedia seems to survive this challenge.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @ the Brennan center...

They write by the pound, don't they?

I pretty much stopped reading after "“Martial law” has no established definition."
    While this is "legally" correct, it's not "real-world" correct.

This gets into one of those metaphysical discussions and it's pretty much outside of the discussion of what dot.gov can do during an emergency.
    During the San-Fran earthquake, for example, there was a real-world declaration of martial law following a real-world disaster.
    People really were killed, held for fairly long periods of time sans Habius Corpus, and houses really were dynamited without bothering with the niceties of eminent domain.
    Besides.....post Kelo, there's really no such thing as eminent domain, now is there? :)

Sadly, since most natural (or man-made) disasters tend to accelerate processes already in progress....racism reared its ugly head during that period of marital law as well, especially for folks who looked sorta Asian, and had their birth certificates destroyed by fire.

I served with some NatGuard folks who got called up during the 92 riots, and some of their stories were kinda interesting. Like Hurricane Katrina, the death toll is also sorta interesting (the wiki page at the time of this writing says either 63 or 64 depending on what part of the article you read. The actual number has been debated since then.

Since NatGuard troops are heavily leavened with LEOs, you get some pretty high-larious stories about detainees protesting about their civil rights - not realizing that they were somewhat truncated by the words "martial" and "law."
    "Hay MAN, you didn't read me my rights!"
    "That's right, now...watch your head...and don't try to break the flexi-cuffs or you'll cut your wrists."

Pandemics ARE disasters.
    If they go turbo?

....The Brennan center won't have time to punch out a novella on why martial laws have no established definition before one is declared.... ;)

7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Because such 'studies' are subject to peer review that takes a little time to get published:

A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes
    Source: A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes – Quote Investigator

I'm old enough to remember the tobacco wars and seat belts and on-going anti-climate claims. Any given public policy will face opposition including 'studies' that have dubious claims. In this case:
    • "Currently, we see 16 serious side effects per 100,000 vaccinations, and the number of fatal side effects is at 4.11/100,000 vaccinations. For three deaths prevented by vaccination we have to accept two inflicted by vaccination."
    • "Cunningham was the first to point out the high NNTV in a non-peer-reviewed comment: Around 256 persons needed to vaccinate with the Pfizer vaccine to prevent one case"
    I have no doubt there are anti-VAX advocates whose volume is inversely proportional to the effects seen:
    covid_vaccinate.jpg
    I'll continue to believe my 'lying eyes'.

Bob Wilson

#3970 bwilson4web, Jun 25, 2021
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It wasn't just locked down U.S. states where cars are manufactured, and/or a "chip" shortage. Manufacturing supply chains reach out over much of the world, and includes lots more than just chips. Numerous factories were taking non-standard 'holidays' due to a variety of parts shortages, caused by factory and transportation shutdowns in often far away places. "Chips" ended up being a most common item, so served as a decent placeholder in describing the overall problem.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In that case, either those civil rights were truncated by the words "martial" and "law", or by some NatGuard folks who were called up to assist civilian law enforcement and took an, ahm, expansive view of their assignment.

I don't think I have enough information right now to decide between those possibilities; the Brennan article seems to suggest the latter, and the anecdote hasn't cleared it up for me really.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read that most chips are made in one place in the world. didn't read the article

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... if you count "Asia" as just one place.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it mentioned a specific country or city, but could be wrong

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't be surprised. most all vaccines result in some amount of illness/death.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You must have access to documents that the rest of us have. There are MANY reasons that MIGHT cause a business to require vaccinations. Here are just a few:

a) Business continuation. If you have a work group that adamantly opposes masks and vaccines, that can result in virtually all of that group getting sick at the same time, leaving you without a functional IT department or Lab for blood tests.

b) Self insured. Many companies (like AT&T) are (were???) self insured. The insurance company just handled the billing and tracking of benefits. My understanding is that a $500,000 hospital visit actually was paid from a special fund set up by by AT&T. **

c) Protecting the life and health of other employees and customers. If you have the disease and it's communicable to others, there's a good chance that (with Delta Variant) those who are infected will be permanently damaged or die. It's expensive to train and retain employees.

c) Protecting the life and health of other employees and customers, revisited. Once you lose a loved one to this disease, it's natural to become an advocate for any measure that will keep it from happening to others. Maybe the CEO or a member of the board lost someone.

If I think about it long enough I can come up with a lot of plausible benevolent scenarios that would motivate the hospital's actions.

Dan
    ** The $500K is usually reduced to a much smaller amount, often to 1/10 the original fee.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is why in early vaccination drives, any adverse incidents are throughly investigated. This often leads to manufacture warnings about what to look for. Aspirin anyone?

Source: Doctors Debunk Popular COVID-19 Vaccine Myths and Conspiracy Theories

These are the sorts of notions that are held by many people who are reluctant and hesitant about getting the COVID-19 vaccine… [leaving many people] uncertain of the information they encounter, particularly on social media and even from conversations with their neighbor,” Dr. William Schaffner, professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, told Healthline.

Bob Wilson

#3979 bwilson4web, Jun 25, 2021
  17. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well....I don't have a JD but I've been on both sides of the lexan shields.

Here's sorta how I see it.
    (AMMV)

When National Guard paychecks come from state capitols, they assist law enforcement.
    When national Guard paychecks come from the US Government, they ARE law enforcement - or on an OUTCONUS gig, or federalized for other reasons (firefighting, non-LEO border ops, etc...)
    That's sorta why if you are incarcerated during ops-normal, you're a prisoner.
    If you get incarcerated during a declaration of martial law, you're a detainee.

It's a title 10 thing, and while it's sorta true that martial law and civil law cannot co-exist - POTUS absolutely CAN (and several HAVE) used this authority, and Congress Critters CAN (and at least once in my recollection HAVE) said that it wasn't legal in that instance.

It's yet another "science and data" thing, and since there's no "Heller" or "Roe" on this, it's still up to the person examining the data, and even THEN it's still entirely a political thing.

Let's say that in the year 2022, the "X-ray variant" goes full turbo, and a fully airborne variant emerges with a 75% morbidity rate.

1. President Harris declares martial law, and mandates vaccines - ordering the military enforce a dawn to dawn curfew.
    2. Several states say "no" and sue in federal court.
    3. SCOTUS rules unanimously (13-0) that a POTUS martial law declaration is unconstitutional.
    4. Congress votes unanimously 439-0 to impeach (with two new states, the 435 number is increased temporarily.)
    5. Harris states that her authority is absolute in this matter and the declaration stands!
    6. After the shortest 'trial' in impeachment history Harris is acquitted with only 61 voting guilty.

So...who wins?
    Martial law or Civil law? ;)

Answer:
    As always, it's up to the military.
    The JCS can side with the boss or read the Constitution and side with the boss anyway...or not.

That's why we have all of those nice, neat, checks and balances.....

#3980 ETC(SS), Jun 25, 2021