1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That vaccination range looks like just the "local" spread. But variants have repeatedly spread globally. All the ones we've been concerned about so far have come from outside.

The global field has billions of lungs, with probably still a majority of localities having vaccination rates between nil and low. And plenty more distant places matching every rate point within our "local" range.

Then add in the detail that there are large blocks of lungs that are vaccinated, but with a version (not used here) only about 50% effective.

For incubating the next variants, I believe this global slow rollout is a much bigger concern than just our "local" rollout issues. It seems that there would be about a 95% likelihood that any given bad variant would arise non-locally. As a major transit point for commerce, New England or my own somewhat well vaccinated coast won't have any advantages or useful delays over Dixie.

Covid World Vaccination Tracker - The New York Times
    Reuters: Latest updates: COVID-19 vaccination charts, maps and eligibility by country

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The exact same way I felt about them when California introduced laypeople to the term ‘herd immunity’ a few years back.
    There’s a little more long term history with this type of vaccine than there is with the Novel vaccine for the Novel bug……just as there is a “slightly” different heath risk with those classic diseases than there is with a bug that kills something like 1:100,000 kids who get it…..EVEN IF you buy into the current wildly gyrating numbers.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iplug likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no requirement in any of the major sports.

funny, it was just last year that charles barkley said nba players should get first dibs on vaccines

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s a shame…..and ever so typical.

Perhaps minority vaccine participation rates might be a little different if some role models out there stepped up.

bisco likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does get much more personal after attending last week's funeral of one of those kids killed by it. Especially after hearing a parent, part of my spouse's pre-existing circle of friends, give the details of his child's 39 day battle in the hospital. I'd previously heard of some adults battling it for upwards of 30 days, but not this.

Kids may have a particularly low death rate to this, at least from the early variants, but that doesn't necessarily keep them from being spreading vectors between their elders.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Medical costs of COVID-19 cases:
    Unvaccinated COVID-19 hospitalizations cost billions of dollars - Peterson-KFF Health System Tracker

While real-time data on the cost of all COVID-19 hospitalizations are not publicly available, various sources point to an average hospitalization cost of around $20,000. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) reports that Medicare fee-for-service COVID-19 hospitalizations average $24,033. Another study of Medicare fee-for-service enrollees found an average COVID-19 hospitalization cost $21,752. A FAIR Health Similarly, our analysis of pre-pandemic private insurance claims for pneumonia hospitalizations with complications averaged $20,292 (though the cost for hospitalizations requiring a ventilator are much higher).

From June through August 2021, preventable COVID-19 hospitalizations among unvaccinated adults cost over $5 Billion

Now if we can just sue the anti-VAX and anti-mask advocates to recover this excess medical cost. Add to that the personal loss of the dead and injured by a class action lawsuit, a lot of problems are soon solved. Heck, tap the estates of the unvaccinated works too.

Let the foolish pay hard currency for their choice.

Bob Wilson

#4728 bwilson4web, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our 4 1/2 year old grandson just started preschool yesterday. we will now have to take more precautions around the whole family

10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd like to see a running matchup of current covid and past flu numbers

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    “Nice person” is a basic obscenity here, lol.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    last paragraph, dr. fauci: "what is the magic, mystical issue about hospitalization? i don't understand that" he said. "what we're really saying is we don't care about anything, except keeping people out of the hospital. really? you're kidding."
    us-looks-covid-19-boosters-curb-virus-spread-2021-09-15

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Influenza
    • Number of deaths: 5,902
    • Deaths per 100,000 population: 1.8"

1.8 per 100k, and 1.8%, are about 3 decimal places apart.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd be tempted to say exactly 3 decimal places apart!

Raytheeagle and fuzzy1 like this.
  19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1.5 year old grandson in an in-school daycare...5 year old granddaughter and 11 year old granddaughter in school for 4 weeks now, along with another family member teaching.

FORTUNATELY, my spouse and I do not have to "take extra precautions."

We're vaccinated.

The flu kills a lot of people, but thus far they've not mandated flu shots on a state level.

There is a "political" dimension and a "science and data" dimension to the Vid.
    Mention "flu" or certain commonly applied "non vaccine" treatment options and death rates and you're in the realm of "scinece and data."

Mention it in the wrong setting, and you get "othered" or worse....called names, de-platformed, and threatened with money lawsuits.
    Yes.
    Even outside Texas.

This is why "government" and "history" classes are taught by coaches in many states - when they are taught at all, and science and data are taught (sometimes) by people who are more or less qualified to teach.........."science and data."
    For Vaccines?
    They're either safe and effective?
    Or they're NOT.

As far as mandates?
    It goes like this:

States have the authority to mandate vaccines.
    Otherwise? the SCOTUS precedence would be US v Jacobson. ;)
    HOWEVER (comma!) there has to be a clear and present (grave) danger FIRST and then they have to do a little paperwork first......else they "regulate" vaccines by sorta-kinda making them mandatory for schools, and in some cases, for certain jobs.
    They can (and some did!) just this thing (shots) a long time ago (1905) for a disease with a roughly 30% death rate and a reputation for horrible disfigurements.
    Oh...and BTW...THAT PARTICULAR vaccine has some VERY disturbing side effects.
    I know.
    I got the vaccine three friggin times!!! :unsure:

What's MORE....
    STATES can (and some did!) mandate face masks once upon a time (1918/19/20,) for a disease with about a 3x more death count, about 100 years ago.
    I'm not sure that they have to have a "clear and grave" reason for doing so, but it sorta makes sense that you wouldn't force this upon your people without a compelling reason.

STATES can (and some DID!) enforce lockdowns and close churches over 100 years ago.....resulting in some cases in lawsuits for religious infringements, large public demonstrations, and even bombings.

Still....
    Broadly speaking, STATES have broad power for public safety.

(Don't "like it" yet Bob.....I'm still editing)

The Jury is still out on whether or not, absenting a declaration of emergency and/or martial law the Feds can do a real mandate for what appears to be a safe and effective vaccine....BUT I'm guessing that THEY don't think so.....otherwise, it would be a MANDATE, and not some weak-tea government regulation based on a number of employees that they pulled out of their colon that's related to the number of fingers that most people have on their hands.

#4739 ETC(SS), Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    bwilson4web likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    vaccinated people are dying, but i wish you all the best!