1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    besides, most of us never learned about viruses in college, unless they were std's :cool:

Krall likes this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FDA announces key meetings on kid Covid-19 vaccines, Moderna and J&J boosters - POLITICO

So.....
    The "science and data" crowd seem to be all in on the mRNA juice, and so long as this technological breakthrough doesn't result in FLKs (funny looking kids) I'm thinking that the tech looks very promising.

HOWEVER...(comma!)
    The J$J vaccine isn't an mRNA vax, but instead it is an andenovector vaccine.
    So....
    Has anybody bothered to quantify the difference between natural antibodies and this type of vaccine?

J$J has had a couple of rough years lately between talc and opioids......
    I hope they're paying the right people to get a good look by the CDC.. ;

Speaking of which.....
    New CDC Study: Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

#4882 ETC(SS), Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  3. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It really seems divisive to not release more data on people who already had the virus and how it compares to the vaccine. Someone else posted about people not wanting to get the jab because of gut feelings. Well the lack of this info adds to people's gut decision.

I agree with you, your whole post sounds like my thinking only you write much better :)

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you aren't reading credible sources?

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What additional data do they have but are they not releasing, thus causing divisiveness?

From August in this very thread, then mentioned again just above:

"CDC-MMWR:
    Reduced Risk of Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 After COVID-19 Vaccination — Kentucky, May–June 2021

"What is added by this report?

Among Kentucky residents infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020, vaccination status of those reinfected during May–June 2021 was compared with that of residents who were not reinfected. In this case-control study, being unvaccinated was associated with 2.34 times the odds of reinfection compared with being fully vaccinated."

"(odds ratio [OR] = 2.34; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.58–3.47)""

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the caveat being how long after infection or final jab to reinfection, and how serious the secondary infection.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Merck pill seen as 'huge advance,' raises hope of preventing COVID-19 deaths | Reuters

Oct 1 (Reuters) - An experimental antiviral pill developed by Merck & Co (MRK.N) could halve the chances of dying or being hospitalized for those most at risk of contracting severe COVID-19, according to data that experts hailed as a potential breakthrough in how the virus is treated.

If it gets authorization, molnupiravir, which is designed to introduce errors into the genetic code of the virus, would be the first oral antiviral medication for COVID-19.

Merck and partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics said they plan to seek U.S. emergency use authorization for the pill as soon as possible and to make regulatory applications worldwide.
    . . .

Another credible COVID-19 treatment about to be trashed by liars and pro-death cultist.

Bob Wilson

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but we already have ivermectin and hydroxy queen. who needs another espensive pharma?

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "They're a 17th century technology..." No they are not.

Playing fast and loose with terminology is part of what makes science look more fallible than it is. So don't do it. Plenty of others will rise to fill any gaps you leave. It is their "privilege" :D

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Their are many existing medicines that attack various aspects of viral nucleic acid replication. It is approximately safe to do that, because virus do it differently than humans do.

I think that by convention, their trade names all end with "*vir" could be avir, evir, ivir, ovir

This Merck *vir is not the first *vir applied to COVID

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the first part of the question, the original infections were all in Mar-Dec 2020, the great majority (82.9%) being in Oct-Dec 2020. Re-infections were in May and June 2021 (by date of covid-19 test). Vaccination status was marked as Not, Partial, and Full (14+ days after full vaccination course).

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "most of us never learned about viruses in college"

This actually surprises me. Implies that most colleges do not require a single Intro Biology course, or that most who took that course missed one of its most interesting topics. Biology stripped of all non essentials, purely parasitic, and yet found everywhere. Including adding long stretches to your very own personal DNA. What do they teach?

13. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never hear the president say anything but if you’re not vaccinated get the shot. I never see the news media say anything but if you aren’t vaccinated you need to get the shot, I never hear any news that says anything but unvaccinated people are the cause in the latest uptick. That’s what I mean by divisive, they aren’t lying, but they are leaving out that one bit about people who already had it.

I know there’s some articles that tackle it, but most people get their news from TV.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People who think they already had it (most don't know for certain) should still get vaccinated, it will further cut their disease risk.
    Not anymore. Most get their news from 'digital devices' now (smartphone, computer, or tablet), not from TV. As for those who do get it from TV, I'm not sure how many get it from actual news programs, vs. opinion and other programs.

Krall likes this.
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Any internet search for "infections" or "hospitalizations" or "deaths" and "vaccination rates" will return many results, including some useful ones.

I would agree that information is not being presented effectively by wide-and-shallow media. Beyond (presumed) audience fatigue, I prefer not to speculate about why that is.

There are certainly (R) Governors (if I may be so political) already saying "Let's stop being stupid about this" (or words to that effect). They may be good messengers for such videos. National leaders may not be entirely at fault.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To satisfy demographic curiosity, and help in designing age-related surveys, here is a distillation of US ages and population sizes after:

https://www.indexmundi.com/united_states/age_structure.html

Age group Millions

Below 20 82.9
    20s 67.2
    30s 68.5
    40s 62.3
    50s 62.3
    60s 61.7
    Above 70 37.9

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Timeline | History of Vaccines
    Not my intent to slight the efforts of those who practiced inoculations before the 1790s….

IMHO what makes THE science look more fallible is intolerance.
    ACTUAL mileage may vary.

#4898 ETC(SS), Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My patience is at an end:

This is your commentator [Keith Olbermann rjw], fresh from the Booster Shot, let's stop validating the morons who are collaborating with Covid-19 to keep the ICUs full and the health care workers at risk. They aren't "waiting for more information" - they're AFRAID. They aren't "exercising personal choice" - they're AFRAID.
    • AFRAID of things they're dumb to understand.
    • AFRAID of doing anything anybody else tells them.
    • AFRAID of having been wrong about this whole thing.
    • AFRAID of NEEDLES.
    Time to call them what they are, COWARDs.

Bob Wilson