1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have two in line and ready for their turn(y).

bisco likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Been able to hunt more regularly - so we give tribute to deer
    ;)

20211007_194824-1.jpg

Merry Christmas !!

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Merck's molnupiravir:

U.K. becomes first country to OK use of Merck antiviral drug to treat COVID-19 - CBS News

This is an oral ingestion pill that may or may not be first against this virus' replication. I have not kept track of 'avir' but that is the naming suffix for viral replication inhibitors. Other viruses are slowed by avir pills directed at them, but talking about those would be off topic here.

If your cells are not currently manufacturing COVID 19, molnupiravir pills won't help you. If you are, these pills will or at least may be helpful. Because you as COVID cooks want a couple of things:

Not to be swarmed, because then your immune responses can run to excess and damage your human-person being.

Not to further spray this virus onto others, because, dang, less thoughtful people still call face masks diapers, and (I have no idea why) equate freedom with freedom to encumber health-care systems.

==
    But, y'know, primates gonna primate.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    #5084 bisco, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m more impressed with fast diagnostic tests that detect the virus directly. You still need sensitive photometry but it can move testing to people gatherings. At a pharmacy with over the counter meds and the needle … game over CIVID.

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had to have a procedure in the hospital yesterday. covid testing beforehand got cancelled, so they did a quick nostril swab when i got there.
    still took two hours for results from the on site lab, and i have no idea how accurate it was.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: Add in an 8th coronavirus known to afflict humans. It is "associated with" a small portion of pneumonia cases in hospitalized children in Malaysia in 2017-18, and also put 20 medical workers "a bit under the weather" as they returned to Florida from a mission in Haiti in early 2017. I.e. it hasn't caused a pandemic despite having been traced back in time at least twice as far as covid-19, simultaneously on opposite sides of the globe, so seems likely to be closer to the mild category than the nasty category. But stay tuned.

Yesterday: New coronavirus, likely from dogs, infects people in Malaysia and Haiti

May 2021: New Coronavirus Detected In Patients At Malaysian Hospital; The Source May Be Dogs

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trade your dogs for cats

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That might not be as much different as you hope:

"From the virus's gene sequences, she could see that the virus had likely infected cats and pigs at one point. But it likely jumped directly from dogs into people. "The majority of the genome was canine coronavirus," she says."

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If only it infected Republicans like in the South.

Bob Wilson

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Found this in my gmail:

Bob Wilson

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve used a similar test several times in the last year just to make sure I didn’t get a breakthrough case back when Delta was a thing locally. I think we have 6-7 in the house but I’m thinking that they’re just a tripwire test and prone to false negative…albeit most probably due to operator error.
    One of my co-workers used the test a few weeks back when his adult daughter got a mild case of the vid and he was displaying mild symptoms and the home test came back negative.
    Two days later he was getting the monoclonal rinse and set and he’s been home for two weeks on O2.

People on my end of the phone biz tend to be older, so we’re vaccinated more that the folks out on the muscle end (probably 40-50 percent) but Don wasn’t….and so when we “had the talk” a few weeks ago about possible mandate impacts I needled him a little about the company’s right not to keep morons on the payroll.
    We’re picking vacation for next year, and I sent out a group text putting dibs on the weeks that he picked earlier if he kicks off… :)
    I’m not completely heartless.
    I included him on the text.

One thing I was pleased to discover while covering his turf is that locally, government installations actually believe in the vaccine.
    If you’re fully vaccinated you can keep the face diaper in your pocket. :)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ellume is recalling certain lots of the COVID-19 Home Test because they have higher-than-acceptable false positive test results for SARS-CoV-2. The reliability of negative test results is not affected. For these tests, a false positive test result shows that a person has the virus when they do not have it and could lead to:
    • Delayed diagnosis or treatment for the actual cause of the person’s illness, which could be another life-threatening disease that is not COVID-19.
    • Further spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus when presumed positive people are grouped into cohorts (that is, they are housed together) based on false test results.
    • The person receiving unnecessary COVID-19 treatment from a health care provider, such as antiviral treatment, convalescent plasma, or monoclonal antibody treatment, which can result in side effects.
    • Disregard for the recommended precautions against COVID-19, including vaccination.
    • Isolation, including monitoring household or close contacts for symptoms, limiting contact with family or friends, and missing school or work.
    There have been 35 reports of false positive results sent to the FDA and no deaths reported.
    Sounds like a reasonable, targeted recall. Not a 'hair on fire' issue.

Bob Wilson

#5094 bwilson4web, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  15. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought the goal was to end the pandemic, celebrate it's end, and live United as a country ?

this doesn't sound like the USA I'm used to.

hmm

16. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm watching the lowest hospitalization rates happen right now.

if any of you still have requirements riding on the waves of fear and vaccinations , might tell your buddies in the biological weapons labs to release the next update before Christmas.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Lay reports are suggesting we'll have a 5th wave. Looks like Minnesota is in trouble with hospital saturation.
    Minnesota virus breakthrough cases rise amid 'perfect storm' - StarTribune.com

Breakthrough infections are an increasing part of a prolonged COVID-19 pandemic wave in Minnesota, according to new data released Friday, but people who are unvaccinated still face the biggest risk and take up more hospital beds.

Detailed breakthrough data showed that fully vaccinated Minnesotans made up 197 of the 483 deaths from Sept. 5-Oct. 9 and 1,082 of the 3,492 COVID-19 hospitalizations. With 41% of the COVID-19 deaths in that time among the vaccinated, that is an increase from 29% over the previous four months.

The trend underscores the waning immunity in Minnesotans who received COVID-19 vaccine six or more months ago — with the majority of breakthrough deaths being in the elderly and people with underlying health conditions who were prioritized for the first doses of vaccine.

Normally I would have posted that comment in the other tread. Mark it up to COVID-19 fatigue combined with the real risk of a breakthrough infection and prospects of a 5th wave.

Bob Wilson

18. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    5th, 10th, 20th... whatever.

people are finally visiting again, hugging, acting like humans instead of pre programmed fear robots.

it's so freaking pretty outside. hope you get to enjoy it some before the leaves are down.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    outdoors is the only place we have been able to enjoy the last two years

3PriusMike, fuzzy1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're not enjoying your time here:sneaky:.

3PriusMike and bisco like this.