1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do, wear one whenever i'm inside with others

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not think that masks hurt, but I’m thinking that perhaps they are not the single most effective way to fight covid.

Of course…..I’m neither a $cientist nor a scientist.
    People wonder at the skepticism……. :ROFLMAO:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too bad, i had hoped ivermectin would prove out in further studies

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the problem is, everyone has to wear one, and properly. they are more effective at preventing spread than protecting from, unless n95

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Ivermectin study linked in #5120 used computational chemistry to explore how long the ivermectin molecule interacted with several named proteins. What we can see on the public side is that the longest interaction was about 1 microsecond. I cannot interpret that.

There is surely more in the paywalled article text. Lacking an RSC subscription, the most direct approach is to contact one of the corresponding authors (emails provided at link) and ask them for pdf. Or responses to any questions you might have.

This study did not test medical efficacy of ivermectin against this virus. Thus it neither says that 'it is' or that 'it is not'.

Seems clear enough that they might suggest ivermectin as a 'dongle' to deliver (actual) medicine against the virus. Reading the article text would show that, among other things.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    BMJ (mask etc.) meta analysis linked in @5118 is open access. I provided link to their Fig. 6 that masks provide 50% risk reduction.

This is from studies where 'whatever' masks interfering with 'whatever' amount of lung communication. This non-medical intervention was the most effective among those they examined.

#5127 tochatihu, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    talking to my doc yesterday, he said what they are seeing is people becoming complacent and letting their guard down, including masks, hand washing, distancing, and indoor gatherings.

vvillovv likes this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Identification of 3-chymotrypsin like protease (3CLPro) inhibitors as potential anti-SARS-CoV-2 agents | Communications Biology

Emerging outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection is a major threat to public health. The morbidity is increasing due to lack of SARS-CoV-2 specific drugs. Herein, we have identified potential drugs that target the 3-chymotrypsin like protease (3CLpro), the main protease that is pivotal for the replication of SARS-CoV-2. Computational molecular modeling was used to screen 3987 FDA approved drugs, and 47 drugs were selected to study their inhibitory effects on SARS-CoV-2 specific 3CLpro enzyme in vitro. Our results indicate that boceprevir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, tipranavir, ivermectin, and micafungin exhibited inhibitory effect towards 3CLpro enzymatic activity. The 100 ns molecular dynamics simulation studies showed that ivermectin may require homodimeric form of 3CLpro enzyme for its inhibitory activity. In summary, these molecules could be useful to develop highly specific therapeutically viable drugs to inhibit the SARS-CoV-2 replication either alone or in combination with drugs specific for other SARS-CoV-2 viral targets.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Another good link @SFO, keep 'em coming.

This one is open access and as noted mentions ivermectin. As being among the most effective tested against a particular viral protein. Again, in silico. See Fig 4.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My institution's liberry has it. They did the molecular dynamics with a timestep of four femtoseconds, so when they see an interaction lasting a µs, that baby pretty much stayed put for a quarter of a billion timesteps. That was for the interaction with ACE2, which they considered promising. By comparison, when they simulated its interactions with the two proteases, two simulations "lead to the release of IVE from the binding pocket after ca. 80 (i.e., really early stage) and 650 ns, although in the starting geometry the disaccharide moiety was in contact with the dyad. After the release, the drug interacts persistently with the external surface of 3CLpro(Fig. S7A, ESI†) instead, thanks to its flexible and large contact area."

They report that earlier authors had also noted the quick (85 ns) diffusion out, but had chalked that up to simulating the 3CLpro monomer. They had then run some simulations up to 100 ns in length using the 3CLpro dimer and not observed the diffusion out. This present paper's authors "conclude that extensive MD simulations are crucial to properly sample the instability of IVE inside the catalytic pocket and that short (nanosecond time scale) MD simulations, such as the ones already reported, could overestimate the stability of the IVE/3CLpro interaction."

Or as a starting point for drug design: "we have evidenced the establishment of favorable and rather persistent interactions with the human ACE2 receptor. In some cases, these interactions have been shown to take place at the interface used by the viral RBD unit to recognize ACE2, inducing a non-negligible destabilization of the complex that could point to a possible antiviral mechanism exploitable in future drug design strategies."

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I read:

Results reveal that the ACE2 protein and the ACE2/RBD aggregates form the most persistent interactions with ivermectin, while the binding with the remaining viral proteins is more limited and unspecific.

Coating the target cell receptors is not as effective as antibodies that attack viral spikes still floating that also seek the cells. The antibodies generated from vaccination work on viral particles not yet attached but seeking a cell to infect.

Bob Wilson

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    bwilson4web likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    privilege likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This one has held on to the crown most of the year.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dang, i got phizer :(

17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A close second place.

JeffD

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Whichever vaccine is an order of magnitude better than not being vaccinated.

Bob Wilson

Raytheeagle and fuzzy1 like this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I've now had two shots of Pfizer with a Moderna chaser, so we'll see how that does.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Screen shot from a New York Times, e-mail list:

upload_2021-11-23_5-35-40.png

Bob Wilson