1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    #5421 tochatihu, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem as ‘keep up’ is not a requirement.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    200 covid deathe here today, and the number on ventilators went way down :(

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    privilege likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is it takes about 3 weeks for peak anti-body production after a vaccination. The second and third shots drive anti-body reaction deeper into our immune system. Meanwhile, the statistical data suggests we may be at a local peek. This is an opportunity to infect the remaining, anti-vaxx and anti-medical population ... to hasten their enlightenment. There comes a time when COVID vaccine advocacy may have reduced impact.

Those who follow empirical science are likely already vaccinated. As for the others, well they've chosen their path and the Supreme Court has given them a pass. For example, Starbucks has reversed their employee vaccination requirement. I normally drink my own espresso but now I'm thinking Starbucks is on my 'no way' list.

The challenge is to find out which vendors and service providers have a policy for employee vaccination. Guess I'll be calling the Support lines.

Bob Wilson

6. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

omg please yes, record those phone calls and post them here. it's going to be hilarious.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem. COSTCO and Whole Foods gets a pass as they have been early and strong customer mask enforcers. But I’ll double check. Also Star Market and Propst’s Discount drugs who also enforce staff and customer masking.

It is called a boycott. We don’t have to do business with anti-vaccine and anti-mask businesses. My choice where my money goes.

Bob Wilson

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree on vaccination advocacy. a few dwindle in, but we're mostly stuck in place.
    we are also peaking, and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
    governor says schools are not a high transmission spot, so that is good news for keeping them mostly open.
    the bad areas seem to be local gatherings inside, and crowded inside venues. but they are all open, so let the games begin!

ma is about 50% boosted now, but idk how many are still waiting for their 5 month date to get the booster.
    masks and test kits coming too late, but better late than never. i'm looking forward to. and am hopeful for a low spring and summer positivity rate.
    after that, it's anyones guess

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I waited 5 days for the not-Alabama rush and got my booster. IMHO, the ‘wait’ for booster does not make sense. Just get it and get over it.

Bob Wilson

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even the boost displays at least some fading, so it isn't (yet) certain that we will ever reach a full "get over it" stage. So for those who didn't or couldn't get their first rounds until more recently, I'm seeing no particular reason to rush to get boosted earlier than recommended, and cause the peak immunities of each to overlap. If boosters indeed turn into an annual or semi-annual ritual, we may as well spread out those peak immunity phases to cover a wider time window.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Caught this on Government funded radio this morning.....

Starbucks drops COVID vaccine mandate after Supreme Court ruling : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

I'm not a frequenter of the Starbuck, but I'm told by one of their devotees that they're not really into the masks locally either, although they keep one at half-mast in case mask Karen comes in.

I still keep one in my back pocket at work.

We're required to mask when we meet the Matthew 18:20 standard, HOWEVER (comma) the conversation always goes something like.....

(Me) STOP! (before they get closer than some notional non-scientific distance)I'm vaxed and boosted, and I have a mask in my back pocket. I'll put it on if you want me to.

(Co worker) Um.....no you don't have to but....um....I'm not vaxed. Do I need to put on my mask?

(Me) Why???.....I'm vaxed.

We still have a vax mandate, and thus far we've had 2 people in my work group sickened enough to require hospitalization and one sickened by the vax (only requiring a brief ER visit for some heart meds.)
    I advised him to switch his accommodation from a (real) medical one to a (not-real) religious request which, thus far, are being universally granted.
    I'll let the folks in the head-shed do the needle dance.
    I really don't have to worry about it much...Why???.....I'm vaxed. ;)

#5432 ETC(SS), Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    UK has done away with mask mandates as well - on the basis that their based on fake science. Let the ad hominems fly

privilege likes this.
  14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not surprised.
    At this point I think that there's enough data to pretty much presume that this bug doesn't really obey mask mandates, which sorta makes walking around sense if you just stop and think about it for a bit.

Why would you try and stop mosquitos with a picket fence?

Honestly....I think that the "Science and Data" crowd got it wrong on this one and they just keep doubling down rather than admit to having possibly erred.....

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they have changed the rec to n95, and make sure it's sealed all the way round

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something like this happens every day

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is 31 F with a +20 mph wind outside. Can I still wear a mask?

Regardless, I'm still wearing a mask while shopping and moving away from others when eating. The mask is to minimize airborne particles. Going 'mask-less' is just an open invitation to a ticket for a Darwin Award. Enjoy your case but don't expect any sympathy from me.

Bob Wilson

18. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your body, your choice. Even the GF loves wearing hers, she claims it keeps her face warm when outside in California, among other things.
    Glad you figured it out before that acceptance speech :

19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Believer in mask effectiveness here. It has been two years now with virtually no flu in our area. Personally, I have gone two years now since masking in public with-no colds-no flu - no Covid and amazingly no allergy attacks which in our area happen like clockwork each spring and fall. In March it will be two years since I've had to take my allergy medicine. This year. I began running jogging again and an additional benefit i have gotten is to wear a mask in this frigid weather we are getting to warm my breath.

While in the service and during my work later in my career I was fortunate to visit some Asian countries- Japan in particular. Wearing a mask there as early as 1978 when I first visited was a non-event for someone suffering from a cold. It was the polite thing to do so as not to spread germs if you coughed

20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the difference between myself and "some" others.

You do you.

I don't care if you wear one or not.
    In fact....given your local weather, the mask may actually serve some real-world purpose. ;)

To be fair, there are just as many "mask Karens" on the other side of the debate.
    A person throwing hot coffee at an unmasked person deserves the same punishment as the jerks who are doing so for being ASKED (or told) to mask up.

As some people herebouts say......you can always vote with your wallet......like Starbucks' patrons.

If I'm asked to take my mask out of my back pocket and put it on my face, or if I see a sign requesting me to do so I have no problem with complying.
    In the past, I've even masked up when I enter a store where most other people are thusly.....er....."protected."

Since I live on free soil...I have yet to do so in 2022....buuut the year is young.
    ;)

Yeah.
    Can't wait to see them try it on a 5-year-old....presuming they can find a {pick random standard} mask that properly FITS a small child....

Science and Data.....:ROFLMAO:

Last time I was in Asia (Korea, IIRC) it was customary (at the time) ONLY for the SICK to wear masks.....

As far as the Flu?
    The last time I had one was probably more than two years ago as well.
    Of course.....they have been two very unusual years.... ;)

#5440 ETC(SS), Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    John321 likes this.