1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't federal law already cover that? Well, at least for those available in the U.S.
    No, I don't remember that as a "promise". I remember it as the reported effectiveness of the first trials, for just a few months, against the original variant mix And as it later turned out, the trials didn't include many immunocompromised subjects, which becomes more significant when a very close friend starts chemotherapy.

Remember when you wrote "I thought the news said we were only safe for three months ?" That was back on July 2 in this very thread, and I responded that immunity to common cold coronaviruses was short-lived.
    Before a nastier-than-ever-before variant emerged in July?
    I'll bet that more variants come out and change things again. But we always knew that was almost certain to happen.

privilege likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Rapid tests, like Binax, are antigen tests. They are checking for the presence of molecules made by the immune system in response to the virus or other infectious agent. Being vaccinated could increase the chance of a false positive, because the vaccine triggers an immune response like the virus.

It is entirely posible the test was a false positive, and your wife was sick with something else. The flu is still around.
    That's by design. It is better to think you have the disease, take precautions, and not have it; than think you're free of the virus, go around like normal, and have it. So quick tests are designed to be sensitive to whatever they are testing for, at the cost of accuracy. If your quick test is positive, follow up with a slower, but more accurate one.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm afraid what you describe would be considered an antibody test, antibody is what is produced in response, vs antigen, which is a piece of foreign/viral material....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

Trollbait likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It may be wishful thinking on my part. We've/They've been making flu vaccines for years and there's no end in sight.....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Current flu vaccines target portions of the flu viruses that mutate rapidly, evading prior immunities and vaccines. There have long been efforts to develop a "universal" flu vaccine, targeting another region that doesn't mutate rapidly, but progress was always slow. Now I see that there was significant progress during the past couple years, with trials now in progress.

I also seem to remember that the current process for mass producing flu vaccines, using chicken eggs, has a problem of slightly altering the vaccine, sometimes making it less effective than the pre-egg original. Other production methods that produced more faithful copies, didn't have the necessary capacities, so the egg method persists. I haven't recently heard if there has been any progress on that front.

Stayed tuned for updates ...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the home tests provided mostly false negatives (n)

#5466 bisco, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Having had to take Immunology in college as well a a couple of Chemistry series (general and organic) I can definitely appreciate/understand the challenges of design/engineering a vaccine and then developing from lab scale to mass production.

I agree part of the problem may well be money, but my thinking of how money is involved is somewhat different from the conspiracy theory/thought. Everyone has to make a living. So all these companies/people are in an "individual" capacity designing these vaccines. Nowadays the collaborative power of sharing knowledge over the internet reigns supreme, but people trying to earn a living have to work on their own vs collaborate with the rest of the manufacturers....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I studied in college at the end of the 20th century (2000) and so many advancements appear to have been made. Back then running a PCR was "expensive". I got to run one once in the immunology class that I took. Nowadays it seems to be cheap/used in a lot of diagnostics.

In my wife's case she was given a rapid antigen test at one of their offices (she works for Kaiser) as required to physically go back to work. Well, PCR is more accurate why not give her that? Well there's a difference between being "infected" vs being "contagious". A PCR test would most likely test + as she has basically recently recovered, COVID is still inside her. But she is not "sick"/no longer having symptoms and no longer contagious. The antigen test result, was that a false negative? In a sense yes. She does note that she tested positive to her colleagues and they do still practice cautionary social distancing "just in case"....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Thx. Another Oddity is our insurance won't cover any test revealing immunity, natural or otherwise. Yet, donating to the Red Cross ... they WILL tell us .... & have done so in the past. Oh well - it's time to donate another pint anyway.

privilege and jzchen like this.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As to the conspiracy theory that COVID is a human engineered disease:. My thought was/is: Which country/countries would best adapt to such a "hidden" disease. Answer: Those countries who do not pride themselves of human rights to privacy. (My sister-in-law notes once you test + the Chinese government attaches that record to you WeBo acccount, (don't quote me on "WeBo" but I know it is an extremely popular app there whatever the name), and everyone around you can basically see that you've tested positive, and proactively stay away). They also quite readily mandate people stay at home, and lock their borders. (My sister in law has not been able to go back to her job in China for a very long time).... Here in the US we have HIPAA, and all these other human rights...... Who knows about that person next to you at Costco, who seems to have a slight cough....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

bisco likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tis an ill wind…. ;)

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer ‘human enhanced’….paid for partially by well-intentioned fools.

The evil part happened after it got loose.
    IYKYK….

13. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    you're 100% correct. who will release it and when is the real question.

in other news AFTER POLITICIANS ARE CAUGHT, MANDATES GO AWAY

skip to 1:10 "the rules are not being properly followed, by the people who make the rules"

there you go. rules for thee but not for me.

#5473 privilege, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  14. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    this morning on national propaganda radio, they hinted of the next phase by saying (I wish I would have recorded it):

"getting boostereded twice a year is just totally and unimaginably unsustainable, so we're working on a once per year vaccine now, because people are more likely to accept it... "

sooooooo, it's not really about the best (boostereded every 6 months) solution at all, but now about whatever it takes to get people to accept another yearly vaccine , whether it's useful or not.

ok got it... now which stock is gonna be the winner from this ? anyone ? bueller ?

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mother Nature releases them on her own schedule, though that is very heavily influenced by our behaviors.

16. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    mother nature released the first one ?

17. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    if anyone wants to ask their colleges in the medical fields about something interesting...

ask them what "questionable vaccination status" means for patient counts, census, occupancy reports.

it's laughable how hard the numbers are being fudged in favor of "but these guys might not be vaccinated, let's call them unvaccinated patients just in case , wink" if they're in beds.

ask them about good long they keep them isolated/quarantined for one positive test, and how many negative tests it takes to get out of that status....

stuff just gets more interesting every day

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll let others fight over the release / escape / jump of the first one. But since then, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Eta, Iota, Kappa, B.1.617.3 (no WHO label), Zeta, Mu, and Omicron certainly appear to be Mother Nature's doing. With numerous sub-lineages too.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you ask a college in the medical fields, do you mean email the dean?

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Let us suppose for the moment, and most oddly, that Covid is not yet another virus accessing and benefiting from human-host purveyors. That it was foully engineered. What might we learn from this round?

First, that this round has quite disrupted biomedical technology. New tools are now in place to oppose (other) zoonotics, and that is all to the good, because there will be others.

Second, that humans can be led to oppose beneficial health-safety measures, if they believe strongly enough in opposing messages. It is wacky and oriented against survival, but there it is.

Third, that our human enterprise remains poorly posed to share expensive biomedical technology with those most poor. In this, what one ought to realize is that those are also lungs. Purveyors.

#1 looks good regarding future zoonotic diseases, but #2 and #3 limit optimism.

==
    From my first supposition, what has evil wrought? Millions dead and global economies and health care dragged down. And yet, no New Global Order has swept in. We remain with Previous Global Order, and simply tired of COVID, and wishing it would just go away. But not tired enough to act, each and every, to achieve this.

To me it seems hubris to suppose that evil-virus engineering could surpass the actual world's ability to throw new zoonotics our way. But whatever the source, I think we still need to push back better.