1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Evidence points to a gain of function 'speriment where the inmates got out of the asylum.

Nothing particularly wrong with that, because, science and stuff.

The evil part happened later probably just after the 7th CISM Military World Games (October '19) because, Commies and stuff.
    This is what happens when you have a political system where the boss hates bad news.
    Capitalism suffers from a similar weakness, only instead of millions dead and billions sickened, you get millions of retirement accounts dead and billions of bucks stolen.

Is IS possible of course that Vid 1.0.0 was "all natural", but then you enter into a weird sort of "quantum-truth" where cats and beakers are substituted with a (LARGE!) room full of women all telling the same lie in order for somebody like a Bill Clinton NOT to be a sexual predator.

It IS possible.....

Trust the 'experts!' :ROFLMAO:

Humans have never been able to come CLOSE to the destructive power present in ORDINARY WEATHER, or tectonics, oceanic fetching and grabbing, or things happening hourly on this insignificant little mote of flotsam - to say nothing of what's happening in one bantam-weight STAR near-by....

BUT....we keep trying.

I positively LOVE the circularity of the word 'hubris" in that statement BTW! (y)

Concur!

MY NUMBER ONE argument for AGW from now on will be something like:
    "Oh? Let us Presume that AGW is a 'thing.'.....Do you REALLY want to give $cience the POWER to try to FIX it??!!" :eek:

....."Because, COVID and stuff!"

#5481 ETC(SS), Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not convinced that we are ready for the next one. hopefully, science has learned a lot, and that will be of benefit, but politicians seemed to have learned almost nothing, and it will likely be a mad scramble again next round.

privilege likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What would you reckon the Bayes factor is, roughly, of the evidence you're thinking of?

4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Politicians are an easy scapegoat for us. At the local level there are many good people in public service positions who work hard to make communities better. Scientist, Medical Professionals and many others such as Grocery Workers have gone above and beyond expectations to help others and make this situation more bearable for us.

I would humbly suggest we as fellow Americans need to take a hard look at ourselves as the source of the problems and confusion. If we would look out for our fellow citizens better, put our societies interest ahead of our own, our country might be a much better place to live and our ability to cope with problems might be much improved.

#5484 John321, Jan 24, 2022
    Raytheeagle, tochatihu and bisco like this.
  5. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need to get into a "six versus half dozen" debate when there's only one likely hypothesis, and several WHO-generated alternatives.
    Something about "a principle of parsimony" seems to be ringing a bell here.

Broken cookie jar.....
    Trail of chocolate chip crumbs leading into the kids room.....
    Kid has chocolate stained face and shirt....

According to "$cience".....
    ...it musta been a burglar that broke into the house last night, leaving no evidence at all other than a broken cookie jar and taking nothing but cookies..

Fauci Thought COVID Lab Leak Theory Was 'Shiny Object' That Would Go Away in Time

mjoo likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if I've spotted a premise in this post.

You also, for that matter, have no need to look for evidence, if your premise is that there's only one likely hypothesis.

7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, of course!

It must be racism.

8. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1 so, just ignore the possibility of the exact same people doing the exact same thing again ?

2 that would make it extremely convenient to just blame good ole mother nature for the later versions... instead of who developed, manufactured, and released the original.

9. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    small typos, big differences, that was a funny one!

10. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my first thought is "do everything possible to make the possibility of humans engineering, manufacturing and then releasing this into the population" an extremely difficult task, bet with extremely negative consequences for anyone crazy enough to consider trying ?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    those are all good qualities, but pandemics are not solved at the local level.

societies need strong, wise leadership. we have neither, and probably haven't for a long time.
    local authorities were as bamboozled by the federal reaction to the pandemic as the citizenry were.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering that Mother Nature is continually doing exactly that all the time in the rest of the genetic world, it would be very highly unusual if she chose to not do it this time, but instead left it all to evil human intent.

It would also mean that this supposedly evilly engineered genetic code is somehow much more stable and resistant to natural mutation than naturally developed genetic codes.

#5492 fuzzy1, Jan 24, 2022
    Raytheeagle and tochatihu like this.
  13. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess just walking by and shrugging is a pretty good defense.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "...this supposedly evilly engineered genetic code is somehow much more stable and resistant to natural mutation..." #5492

Also note that Omicron variant spike has 36 mutations.

privilege likes this.
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Down to 96%. The right direction anyway. Pretty soon I'll be all ready to resume walking under ladders and stuff.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    privilege likes this.
  18. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol !

I can pinch a finger or strain a muscle just moving a ladder. y'all just be super heroes or something to be able to walk under em

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is at least one vaccine is based on an innocuous virus being modified to exhibit the COVID spikes. Perhaps a ‘gain of function’ technique?

Bob Wilson

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Probably described here

What are Adenovirus-Based Vaccines?

GoF research that concerns me most is not exactly like that. Instead it involves taking a virus causing disease in another species, and altering it so that it can replicate in human tissues. Justification is that it allows advance research into vaccine development, in case the unaltered virus itself manages to make a zoonotic jump later.

The list of viruses that affect other species but not humans is long. My opinion is that genomic sequencing and mRNA technology are now so advanced, that there is no longer any argument for modifying any of those other bad boys. Instead, do global surveillance. detect new zoonotic jumps early and make an mRNA vaccine fast enough to cover a local outbreak area.

==
    GoF research is not trivial. Fortunately. It is far from the easiest way to do evil upon humanity with viral tools. I have no interest in discussing those easier ways.

privilege and Trollbait like this.