1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

No thanks.
    Read about something like that in a history book......

#5641 ETC(SS), Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting article out of Israel:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-695641

With:

"Three hundred and sixty-six people are considered to be in critical condition, and 291 are intubated. Another 19 people connected to ECMO machines. Of those in serious condition, 507 are unvaccinated, 125 are partially vaccinated, and 549 are fully vaccinated. The vaccination status of 82 patients in serious condition is unknown."

So more vaccinated folks are in serious condition then unvaccinated??

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering that eligible vaccinated Israelis outnumber unvaccinated Israelis 4-to-1, and 10-to-1 among seniors, this shows that the vaccines are still reasonably effective. If they didn't work at all, there would be at least 2000, maybe up to 5000, fully vaccinated patients in this condition, not just 549.

3PriusMike likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That question is premature and likely suggesting an inaccurate implication.

Bob Wilson

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My real response to this is unprintable. That chart is so extremely outdated that it is now just [...redacted...]

(1) Look at Hill's very carefully cherry-picked date range, Feb 12 to Mar 16, 2020. The very first publicized U.S. Covid death didn't happen until Feb 29 that year. And it was in my neighborhood, where it killed 1/3rd of that nursing home's residents in 3 weeks. By Mar 16, the national total was still under 100. Since then, the death toll has increased by a factor of roughly 10,000X. Or 1 Million %.

Hill's selected date range is highlighted by the red box here

covid-deaths.GIF
    (2) Besides being extremely outdated now, this also suggests a disgusting devaluation of senior citizens.

================================

P.S. Here is my graph of the CDC's latest Covid-19 age distribution:
    upload_2022-2-7_13-6-14.png

The median age is 75.

Where Hill's chart suggests that during the first few weeks of the U.S. Covid-19 outbreak, it caused somewhere between 1.8 and 3.4% of total deaths, the CDC's full-year figures show 11.4% for all of 2020 (including the 0.0% for Jan and Feb), and 13.3% for 2021.

Total excess deaths, compared to non-pandemic years, were 19% and 20% respectively.

#5645 fuzzy1, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This chart is a more direct update to the above quoted outdated garbage, but for the period 1/1/2020 to 1/29/2022. Note that it includes January and February 2020, even though Covid-19 made up 0.0% of deaths those months. I generated this from the same CDC data source page as my previous response.

upload_2022-2-7_13-52-16.png

7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is an important point.
    Those that don't under the statistics, or try and use them in an incorrect way are more likely to become a statistic themselves.

Mike

Raytheeagle, fuzzy1 and bwilson4web like this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Appreciate the effort. The original wasn't posted just for freak out value as I never looked at the dates. Ultimately trying to get a handle on averages.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek:

The first chart you copied is also from extremely early in the pandemic. Here is the original article, datelined March 23, 2020, when the global death count was merely 14,000. Now the "official" acknowledged toll is north of 5,700,000:

upload_2022-2-7_19-5-13.png

The next chart from the same article:

upload_2022-2-7_19-6-22.png

#5649 fuzzy1, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    it is not informative to select early (odd) times for Covid mortality, as it has further developed. We can learn more by moving past early 2020. We risk something (maybe only a little) by burning posters claiming innocence WRT early timelines.

Here, perhaps better, is what you need to know. COVID laughed at weakly applied social snot distancing. COVID tweaked its' tweaks and upgraded itself and made trillions more 'copies' (that being the thing viruses would do).

COVID now is less human killing than before on fractional basis. Yay us! But our human health-care system is not yet dis encumbered. We do vaccination but not everywhere prevent virus-source lungs from play. Boo us!

Vaccines (especially the strongest ones) remain poorly offered to human lungs globally. If y'all want to 'better outcome' this problem, do something about that.

==
    If by any chance you want the next zoonotic to not be worse, do some things. Fund those people looking who are very good at such work. Ten million, 1000 million dollars per year? do not know. Talk to them

mRNA vaccine makers 'before the next flood?' Talk to them as well. If your brain-space has been captured by goofy internet websites, I cannot see a way to help you. Sad it is, but bye bye. Wish that I could do more. There is a distasteful taste, in my impression, that some internet froth calls against human survival, and towards short-term profits. You younger ones should attend to that.

11. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    unfortunately there are a few middle aged folks falling from it also. it's very very rare, so the hardship on those families is severe.

at 90, I plan on spending my savings on hookers and blow, skydiving, and free diving. not always at the same, but maybe. because what I of at 90 really doesn't matter

12. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    of course it does.

remember when the news media/gov was saying "this incredible virus had been found still living in full sun, on the pavement" at the beginning of the fear campaign ? I do.

but the news media still told us that "gas pumps may be a good vector of transmission, there's so much we just don't know" ... and .. "you should isolate to prevent spread".

and now, we STILL have drive through sliding windows with plexiglass over them "to stop rona" , but you know, there's a hole in it, because it's a window.

and plexiglass at cashier's stations, because airborne viruses can't get around Plexi lol

13. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    you're still missing the point. once you hand over the authority to herd people into cages and do whatever to them, YOU fall under the authorization, just like everyone else.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We both will and I'll get to meet you face-to-face.

Bob Wilson

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Other less harsh surfaces, yes. Viable? Uncertain. Living? It is questionable whether viruses are ever actually alive. Full sun? Pavement? No, I don't.
    Because we didn't know back then. Certain other similar vectors do transmit that way, so the parallels existed.
    I generally don't use drive-throughs, so will have to take someone else's word for it. But the other plexiglass windows I'm thinking of, mostly don't have holes near face level.
    Not ideal, but when so many people are resisting other interventions, at least these disperse and dilute it, reducing the probably of reaching a minimum infective dose, and reducing the transmission coefficient, R₀.

John321 likes this.
  16. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I admire your willingness to engage some topics and individuals, especially some who have no interest in an intelligent exchange.

It is obvious that some of the individuals posting here, and we are responding to have reading comprehension issues or at a minimum selective comprehension.

You cannot have a meaningful two-way conversation with a one-way mind.

This is a good video on why people; believe the earth is flat, Anti vax conspiracy and other contrarian thinking

Why flat-Earth theory and anti-vax conspiracies exist - Big Think

#5656 John321, Feb 8, 2022
  17. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that anyone with half a brain can figure out that a cashier, without the plexiglass, could get coughed on or spit at many times per day. While the plexiglass certainly doesn't stop all of it, it does create the need for the particles to make two course changes on their way...thus significantly reducing the volume of particles going from A to B.

It is like wearing safety goggles while using power tools. There will still be accidents and still be eye injuries -- just less of them. Same with seat belts--people still die with belts on, just less often. Should we eliminate air bags because some people still die when they go off? What about life preservers on boats? Get rid of them since you know someone who drowned with one on?

So, I suggest that people use at least half their brains and use all these things to REDUCE transmission/deaths, even if it doesn't eliminate it completely.

Mike

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another science denier..... :ROFLMAO:
    Why Anti-Covid Plastic Barriers May Make Things Worse - The New York Times

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/governors-in-4-states-plan-for-end-to-school-mask-mandates/
    ^
    Science or politics?
    Hmmmm.....
    Something MUST be coming up in the near future that is independent of COVID, religion, science, or lunar cycles.

Wonder what it could be? :p

Since Brandon has been in politics since just after reconstruction, he's likely to have been to nearly every SOTU address since they've been televised.
    The show MUST go on.....
    And frankly it wouldn't be the stupidest thing he's done lately to have "Marine-1" land in front of a hospital with a "Mission Accomplished" sign in front of it before they limo him to the crapitol.

(Wonder who the designated survivor will be?)

#5658 ETC(SS), Feb 8, 2022
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bob, Wth is wrong with you? Do you hear what you're saying? Since day 1 on this forum, I've had respect for you and your posts. Lately, many posts of yours that I read are eating away that respect and this one pretty much just cratered it.

20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    Happens to a LOT of retired Marines.
    They're really good at protecting democracy, but they do not suffer fools (or, sometimes even contrary opinions) gladly.