1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this fella too:

story

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My unvaccinated SO tested positive from a QUIDEL QuickVue At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test. Her diagnosis may have been delayed when she decided to quick her smoking habit ... a good thing!

Suffering from a summer head cold for a week, I will go by a local hospital screening office Monday morning. I have a scheduled 7:30 AM medical screening exam but they may decide to reschedule. I'm double vaccinated and double boosted, last one in January/February.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this new variant is wreaking havoc. fortunately, most have milder symptoms. our son said a full month before he felt 100%

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just left Glacier Park maybe an hour ago

IMG20220711120852.jpg

& since reservations are needed just to get in there (unless you arrive before 6 AM) , it doesn't look like many people are worried about it between that & less than 1% wearing masks inside gift shops

privilege likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Confirmed, we both have (had) COVID. Overt symptoms started a week ago suggesting we were exposed at the same time. Regardless, neither the 72 year old male nor 52 year old female are at risk of hospitalization.

Male symptoms:
    • one 98.7 F temperature reading that passed after nap to normal 97.4 range
    • diarrhea attributed to eating a lot of watermelon
    • increased naps
    • runny nose leading to sore throat and occasional sneeze/cough
    Bob Wilson

#6065 bwilson4web, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    privilege and bisco like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Montana is where I caught covid, during a February ski trip. Back when mask wearing there was slightly higher, approaching probably 5%.

My best masks didn't work well skiing, due to very high buildup of respiratory condensation, forcing use of less effective versions.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they say no, but i still wonder if we're endemic

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still not normal over here.

Company just instituted new color codes to align with the CDC's new simpler color codes which never matched state's color codes. And it goes to show my pandemic fatigue, I'm not even checking anymore. Not because I don't want to know. I desperately do. I'm just tired of ever changing rules. I always just look it up when I need adhere to them anyway.

Oh and I can't remember the new company color codes that were supposed to be a simple stop light red, yellow, green. Why? Because they listed 4 exceptions at individual sites. That's 3 colors x 4 sites x 5 conditions of Covid. 60 different combinations on how long one should quarantine or not.

One county in the Bay Area decided to mandate masks again. The rest are saying, whatever. Even ones with higher rates.

9. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota in Kentucky just reintroduced mask mandates due to the counties around it all going to red - high infection rates.

It's self-protection as if they are not careful, they will not have enough workers to run the lines. They have close to 8,000 workers many on moving Production lines working not even 5 feet from each other. Something like Covid could spread like a wildfire in that situation without proper precautions.

#6069 John321, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm all for precautions.

unfortunately, massachusetts has decided to reduce reporting frequency of cases, hospitalizations and deaths from weekdays to weekly.

just another sign that it's over.

11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got my 2nd booster today - thank you Pfizer.

I was struck by how much things have improved since 2020.

When we received our first vaccine, we had to wait a month for an appointment and them wait in line with hundreds of others at a state vaccine center - this time I made the appointment the same day at the grocery store and walked in at my appointment time and had the vaccine within 10 minutes.

Walked around the grocery store to pass the 15 minutes of the after shot wait time and picked up a few essentials then checked out - no shortages - no waiting in line to get into the store - no mask required.

What a remarkable difference a year or two makes.

Our area is experiencing a covid surge like everywhere else but there are treatment options, vaccines and healthcare systems that aren't overwhelmed.

Very thankful.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    bwilson4web likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The data suggests the original vaccination continues have a beneficial effect. In this case, the least vaccinated states of Dixie:
    upload_2022-7-22_3-42-17.png
    A resident of Alabama, I blanked out non-Dixie states.

Bob Wilson

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't come soon enough. may be too late for this virus, idk, but would be great to have in the future arsenal

15. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the lack of posts in this thread is a very good sign, along with the normal people enjoying their lives. now, the people with masks and gloves on in public are extremely rare (finally!) and it's very refreshing to see people enjoying life again outside.

last weekends race netted zero masked faces, lots of smiles, and not one single mention of the desease.

watching interest rates and grocery bills rocket into the sky isn't exactly great, but at least lives are being lived again
    :-D

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    outside never changed much around here. definitely a lot less masks inside, but still a lot of virus being spread, especially considering it's summertime.
    i hope there aren't any long term consequences for people that contract it. i'm still being cautious, dine outside, no movies, gyms, etc.
    hopefully, higher interest rates will continue to slow an economy on fire. i'm loving my new cd rates!(y)

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    During any other 2.5+ years I would have caught some respiratory virus at least once. But with mandatory masking and actually paying attention to exo-lung exposure (elevators and buses are the worst), none found me to replicate in etc. So on one side it has been great. On the other side, this new way of living is freedom minus.

Most or all readers are now out from under state-control thumb. I envy you. For me, any travel anywhere must be balanced against risk that I will be netted into quarantine for 2 weeks or whatever the heck. So complain about things if you want, but know that your hard-won freedoms are not enjoyed everywhere.

BTW if anyone would mail a small vial of lyophilized mRNA vaccine, I'll send address privately. Vax here is pretty weak :eek:

bisco likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Read an article some time recently about some waning immunity to other respiratory bugs as a result ....

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, we haven't been sick since february 2020. probably don't have any immune systems left

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "probably don't have any immune systems left"

I left this hanging for a while, but it deserves a response. If you had no immune systems left, you'd be dead in 72 hrs for sure. So the meaning and implications are unclear.

==
    New mRNA flavors I wish I could get:

FDA Authorizes Upgraded Omicron-Specific Boosters for Covid-19