1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which bivalent was that? I had Pfizer and couldn't tell anything happened, besides a little warmth and tenderness right at the injection site.

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My reaction was similar to bisco.
    After 2 days I was back to normal.
    We recieved the Pfizer - my wife had no reaction to the same shot other than slight arm soreness, same shot-same time- same lot..

At least you know the vaccine is working.

#6122 John321, Oct 18, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I long wondered if getting vaccinated might lead to a reaction AFTER a series. Shame there is no affordable, antibody test. Low antibodies, get the shot. High antibodies, take a pass.

Bob Wilson

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My spouse and I received our Moderna Covid 19 Bivalent shots late last week wit virtually no serious reaction. YMMV

JeffD

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all of mine have been pfizer

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrs b is achy, but not nearly as bad as me, or i'm just a wimp :cool:

strange thing, my arm isn't sore at all

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Association of Symptoms After COVID-19 Vaccination With Anti–SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Response in the Framingham Heart Study | Vaccination | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network

SARS-CoV-2 messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines (BNT162b2 [Pfizer-BioNTech] and mRNA-1273 [Moderna]) are associated with local and systemic symptoms; however, whether postvaccination symptoms are associated with vaccine-induced antibody response is unknown. Previous studies1-3 of COVID-19 vaccine reactogenicity and immunogenicity were limited to convenience samples that may not be generalizable. We studied the association of self-reported postvaccination symptoms with anti–SARS-CoV-2 antibody response among Framingham Heart Study (FHS) participants contributing to the Collaborative Cohort of Cohorts for COVID-19 Research (C4R) study.4
    . . .
    Of 3200 FHS participants eligible to participate in C4R, 928 (29%) completed the C4R questionnaire and blood spot collection and reported 2 doses of BNT162b2 (414 [45%]) or mRNA-1273 (514 [55%]) vaccines (eFigure in the Supplement). Respondents’ mean (SD) age was 65 (12) years, 360 (39%) were men and 568 (61%) were women, 893 (96%) were non-Hispanic White, and 84 (9%) self-reported prior COVID-19 infection. After either vaccine dose, 446 participants (48%) reported systemic symptoms, 109 (12%) reported local symptoms only, and 373 (40%) reported no symptoms. In bivariate analysis, symptoms were associated with younger age, female sex, prior infection, and the mRNA-1273 vaccine (Table). Antibody reactivity was observed in 365 asymptomatic participants (98%), 108 participants (99%) with only local symptoms, and 444 participants (99%) with systemic symptoms (P = .08). In adjusted models, systemic symptoms were associated with greater antibody response, although associations were attenuated with sequential adjustment for potential confounders (Figure). Similar results were obtained with exclusion of participants with prior COVID-19 infection.

Bottom line, if you felt side-effects from the most recent booster, your immune system is working.

Bob Wilson

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sister-in-law's husband, after his 3rd Pfizer a couple months ago .... is reeling with rona now. Sister-in-law (a religiously mask wearing 3x vaxed) who is avoiding everyone - including family then (likely) got it from him. Both (early 50's)have serious symptoms but breathing is still tolerable. Their takeaway, " it would have been a lot worse ......"
    How can anyone know that.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They might have been following some of the news in 2020 or 2021, impassioned last words from patients about to be intubated, etc.

You might still say they don't strictly "know", the same way I don't strictly "know" there'll be water when I open my tap, but the next time I'm thirsty I'll probably still act pretty much like I know that.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with all the new strains, many experts fear a bad winter, despite vaccinations. however, they do think there will be some protection from existing vaccine. i'm not sure why they think that, but you'd probably need to be able to read and understand the scientific literature.

another problem is manufactured antibodies, both prophylactic, and post infection

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess the question becomes: what if you didn't?

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Data from vaccine and immunology research, not just of COVID, shows the vaccinated do tend to have less serious outcomes when they do get sick.

They don't know if that is true for their individual case, but then you don't know if using the seatbelt will actually save you in a car crash.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    had my physical today. doc brought up the study, said robust antibody response is not an indicator of how sick you might or might not get

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It remains an open question because we normally don't get an antibody analysis in ordinary blood work. I got my blood work status results this morning:
    • A1C 6.6 - previous were 6.2 and 6.2. I have been eating more starches than I should since the last test.
    • INR 2.5 - a measure of blood thin/thick, this is the same result seen last week at the Cardiology Lab ... we celebrated.
    • HDL cholesterol 55 - (the good one) previous was 68, look at diet.
    Changing my diet to fewer carbs and more lean proteins should resolve A1C and HDL.

Bob Wilson

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my hdl is slowly dropping. doc says it is genetic, my diet hasn't changed.

wants my ldl under 100 from 115. trying 10mg atorvistatin every day instead of every other, but in the past, it gives me leg pain at night

16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Try some garlic pills. They will drop ldl a bit with no drugs. I take 2 a day (each is equivalent to one clove, but no odor)

JeffD

bisco likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Brand?

My first attempt was not successful.

Bob Wilson

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We got our own 'rona cases while skiing at Montana's Big Sky, just 2 months after my second shot, 3.5 months after spouse's second shot. And while still coming down with it, it was a bit nerve-wracking to hear that one my own state's most prominent anti-vaxxers, who protested the state's employee vaccination mandate by loudly quitting his State Patrol job and going into anti-vaxx politics, had just died of Covid-19. Being a decade older than him, my risk of death should be higher than his. Fortunately, our cases reached only to the level of bad colds.

How could anyone know? Plenty of evidence was posted to these threads, illustrating case death rates of the fully- vs partially- vs un-vaccinated. As already pointed out, it is analogous to wearing seatbelts. Yes, seatbelts don't save everyone from death or serious injury. But the statistical comparisons are stark.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't bother with dietary supplements for heart health, study says (msn.com)

"Researchers made this comparison in a randomized, single-blind clinical trial that involved 190 adults with no prior history of cardiovascular disease. Study participants were ages 40 to 75, and different groups got a low-dose statin called rosuvastatin, a placebo, fish oil, cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, plant sterols or red yeast rice for 28 days.

The statin had the greatest impact and significantly lowered LDL compared with the supplements and placebo.

The average LDL reduction after 28 days on a statin was nearly 40%. The statin also had the added benefit on total cholesterol, which dropped on average by 24%, and on blood triglycerides, which dropped 19%.

None of the people who took the supplements saw any significant decrease in LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol or blood triglycerides, and their results were similar to those of people who took a placebo. While there were similar adverse events in all the groups, there were a numerically higher number of problems among those who took the plant sterols or red yeast rice."

"For this study, which was presented at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions 2022 and simultaneously published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, researchers compared the impact of these particular supplements to the impact of a low dose of a statin – a cholesterol-lowering medication – or a placebo, which does nothing."

I was put on Atorvastatin two months ago and had my follow up labs last week- Cholesterol down by 75 units -LDL down by 50 units. All cholesterol now well within normal limits. I did also make changes to my diet -but I can assure you statins do work. My dosage of Atorvastatin is 40 mg taken once daily in the evening.

#6139 John321, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fortunately, i am tolerating 10mg a day, no idea why.

but back to covid, all's quiet on the western front? we seem to be back to some semblance of normal.

winter surge? idk, pretty steady numbers here. either way, government and most people have moved on. docs and hospitals may get excited, but they take the brunt of everything.