1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is a big new effort here to get 70s and 80s vaccinated. ICU beds per capita is lower than in highly developed countries. Obviously hospitals can be quickly built, but staffing is the tricky part.

I got Sinovac 3 times and can only hope that will work if exposed. Sure would be nice if some mRNA vaccines showed up. One way or another...

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Xi has the poker face.

P45 was fawning, not feigning. The Chinese administrator class have millennia of experience in how to feed his type of ego, in both domestic and foreign leaders, to their own advantage.

Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Really getting tired of the respiratory bugs going around. No doubt the vaccines let me continue to post but the latest rhino-virus continues to linger on. Four weeks since the initial symptoms, I'm in the 'good days' and 'bad days' phase.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    These respiratory virus variants have coexisted with us for all of recorded time. We need to get over our fear of them and get on with our lives. If you have children in your lives, you will catch multiple virus based diseases.

JeffD

ps; About 40% of these infections are older coronal virus, About 60% are rhino-virus.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, if you're older or immune compromised, it's pretty tough to 'get on with your life'.
    unfortunately, 'people getting on with their lives' puts others at risk.

i have been sick since early september with two different respiratory viruses. had to bow out of thanksgiving, Christmas is iffy

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It’s tough really the best is shelter at home. Have the young ones as much as possible do all the going out. My parents and I have escaped, so far. We still mask when we go out but A LOT do not over here now. My wife is concerned about the “31% positivity rate”, saying “it’s high again”….

bisco likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sinovac and Sinopharm are both old-school inactivated-virus tools. They are the only options available to ~1.4 billions hereabouts. Efficacy trials for approval (way back when) showed them weaker than modern mRNA hotrods. And that's all we know about them.

Other vaccines have had broad epidemiological studies. Out in real-world lung space, where masking is more-or-less, and new viral variants came in. So there is a basis to assess those vaccines ongoing performance.

That is not the case in Sinolandia. Based on data available, Omicron-whatever is sneaking into lung space and most of the positive COVID test results are asymptomatic, with very few deaths reported (down below falling-off-ladders levels). But because epidemiological studies are either not being done or are not being reported, it cannot be ascribed to vax, or masking, or other lung-isolating efforts. What we do not know is vexing, because accuracy should the basis for public health policy.

Yes I'm ranting, but as a data addict who is not getting the stuff I want, it rankles.

==
    Separately it has been discussed that Omicron-whatever is limited to working its way through a global lung space that has some immune protection from strong vaccinations and from prior exposures 'in the field'. Readers might bear in mind that situation does not well describe 2.8 billion lungs around here. Our many lungs are naive or mostly so.

Lowering transmission barriers (as is being argued/protested for) enlarges the Omicron evolutionary playground. A potential source of adverse outcomes more widely. Not lowering transmission barriers may simply postpone 'biology finds a way', accompanied by local disgruntlement, economic throttling, and international tarring.

Wish I had a brighter outlook to report.

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think it is a big mistake to claim that we are postponing the inevitable. (Don’t throw caution to the wind). Our household is divided into those who have caught it and those who haven’t. Isn’t it ironic that the least hygienic of the the bunch, me, has not caught it yet? The polar opposite, my wife the MD, was the first, and no it was not at work, where protocol was built to protect doctors. In fact listening to her I believe all that caught it of her codoctors got it on vacation.

I think the key is avoidance. My wife’s sister and household believe they caught it going to Church. I have sadly not gone much at all. I say: People tend to go when they have something to be thankful for, or, when they are sick…

Anyways the body has natural oils on the skin that can destroy these viruses. I think contrary to belief we’ve grown too dependent on hand sanitizer. Well now you’ve wiped away the natural defense that you had just prior. My son who volunteers in a research lab. I asked him how he prevents something from harming his Cyanobacteria or other work. Well I said now we’ve come to cleaning up areas and giving the virus the chance to survive…

I found masking allows me to let my beard and mustache grow. I used to shave every few days now I stretch it to a week or a little more. Do I look scary when I remove my mask, I bet so, BUT hey if it keeps people at a distance then safer for them and me….

No, I am not an anti-vaxer. In fact I have the best excuse, I’ve fainted getting vaccinated back in 2019, but still I risk that to get vaccinated when I am eligible. (I actually got my first COVID shot prior to being eligible since I knew someone at a pharmacy)….

Can you get a tourist VISA to the US? Come get your shots. I know my sister-in-law did….

bisco likes this.
  10. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you're one of the five million illegal aliens this administration has allowed to come over the border, no vaccinations required! In fact, you can also bring your slaves for human trafficking and deadly fentanyl pills to sell and kill thousands of Americans. How many die a year from covid? (And the majority are vaxxed) and how many die from fentanyl? Not many are talking about this, are they?

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    fentanyl at DuckDuckGo

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found per-day figures a little easier to quickly find. 136 a day from all opioid overdoses (prescription and illicit), per the DEA resource in Trollbait's search. Currently running right around double that, 260 a day, for COVID deaths, an outcome 6✕ more likely (age adjusted) among unvaccinated (in cities and states that provide the data, per NYT, Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count, updated Dec. 6, 2022).

fuzzy1 and Trollbait like this.
  13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes not required to be vaccinated. My point was that she was able to get vaccinated while here, on a Tourist VISA. (Pretty sure that is legal entry through LAX)….

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read an article in nature about a promising study using a 30 year old liver drug. an ace2 inhibitor, it prevents all the strains from attaching the the cells.

another lab is trying to narrow that down to just the cells that are vulnerable, because the liver drug is not safe for everyone.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Entering US is not the concern; it is return trip could end in confinement of some sort or other.

Not sure I understood the part about bring my slaves and fentanyl pills though. They would all need tourist visas. So, no.

jzchen likes this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    DEA.gov says fentanyl deaths are 150 per day. Opioids overall about twice that per CDC. I'm not aware of any concealment of such data.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'opioid crisis', it's in the news all the time

18. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I hope it was RSV that lingered on and on. Random productive cough but no fever. Dang it.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  20. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After our bout with Covid I had a cough for probably 4 weeks that would help get rid of phlegm. Was very glad to say goodby to that.

We are all fully vaccinated against Covid in our house, so the Covid bout was around 2 days long, and we didn't have to worry about getting real sick or seeing a doctor or going to the hospital we knew the vaccine would protect us and minimize the effects of the disease.

bwilson4web likes this.