1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my cough and post nasal drip are almost gone after 4 weeks. 'covid tongue' is almost better as well, and a clogged ear.
    not a fun virus, have all the shots, and wear an n95 anywhere in public indoors.

dang grand kids though, little germ farms :p

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Speaking of germ farms, go talk to your local mall Santa. That's a hazardous occupation. No wait, I don't know if you are even doing mall Santas now.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure they must have stopped for awhile (except florida and texas) but they are probably back now.

although, the labor shortage? maybe boots filled by former twits.

covid is hust not a thang anymore here, even with low uptake of bivalent

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Repurposing drugs can be big money & time saving business. All of the R&D will have been completed many years ago and this can shave up to 10 years off the drug approval process because any adverse effects are already known. But even more profitable? If you can do an endrun around the usual system - and get it labeled an emergency, you don't have to do all that research. even getting a liability proof congressional seal of approval - should it be shown several years down the road that it could have been known that bad things were likely to happen from the experimentally approved drug / vaccination. Not that such things ever happen.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it's been 2 years plus clinical trials...

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The major drug companies won't want to bother with a use for an old drug that is in generic status.

fuzzy1 and hill like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope they don't turn it into ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absent a long remaining patent time window to protect huge U.S.-market mark-ups and revenues in the $Billions per year, Big Pharma typically isn't interested. $100M/yr markets just don't produce enough executive compensation.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    & we're not necessarily worried about that impact - right?

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hope you get completely over it soon! Hang in there…

hill likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    here's what covid is doing locally, pretty much a nothing burger. even the docs offices and hospitals have dropped testing and mask requirements

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Masks are still required at all my medical (last week, another this afternoon) and dental (yesterday) offices.

Visiting Urgent Care two weeks ago with a very bad cold that I feared might be turning to pneumonia, I was tested for Covid and Influenza A and B, but not RSV (not available?). It appeared that all incoming patients were being similarly tested.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm glad to hear some parts of the country are still taking it seriously. think of how much the masking would help with the other respiratory diseases floating around as well

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Most don’t mask here, but I am seeing an increase at least. For me it’s, imagine how upset I’d feel if I went this long doing a good job of avoiding COVID, and then let my guard down and catch it!

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It has been in western media that China is changing its approach to COVID. Less mandatory testing, less travel restrictions, less cell phone app tracking. Events precipitating this change have also been reported. But not in media here, which tells you something I guess.

Even in sleepy Kunming the changes are apparent. So, here we go ...

== Edit
    These policy changes were almost certainly in planning for later rollout. Precipitating events seem to have shortened timeline. Changing course in N hemisphere winter may not turn out to be a sharp move though.

#6215 tochatihu, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, they've got everybody worried :p

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    grandkids are sick again, after only a few weeks recovering from rsv. brutal year for kids, i'm staying away.
    covid seems to be the least of it so far. son in law just got it, vaccinated, couple days of flu like symptoms, fine now. daughter never got it.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Then again, like many, you may have already had it and passed it on to others - as I may have too - being asymptomatic. Had it not been for Red Cross blood donations - I would never have known. At that the time over a year ago they would let you know if you had immunities / antibody's to it.
    Worrying about others vis-à-vis our own actions could drive a person nuts. Consider the crazy example;

"Should I race through the red light so the guy behind me can make it also? Should I stop and put him on a different timeline? Which scenario might cause him to have a fatal accident? or not?!
    Life's random situations happen every day.

tochatihu likes this.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We all tested when my wife got sick. I test before going to crowded events to make sure I’m clean. When my wife got sick I had the PCR test, which is more accurate than the rapid antigen test that my wife took. Asymptomatic or not I should have tested positive…

20. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Never think that way. Not enough time. Too busy thinking whether I should stop or not. I was taught to look in the rear view mirror whenever I slam the brakes, to make sure I give a little extra room for the person behind me not to hit me. So I may stick out beyond the first line of the crosswalk. Definitely crazy thought. Do you drive looking at the one behind you and press the gas if they are going to hit you? Or do you look ahead and press the brake if you’re gonna hit someone? (My EE professor would ask)…

But your point is taken. I could have caught it and not shown serious symptoms. (I did not always test when I felt ill, usually because I felt better the next day), usually after binge watching on Netflix till I could not keep my eyes open any longer. I can say 100% I’ve felt better the next morning, whatever it was. I pose this question to my wife: if you have an allergy do you know what an antihistamine does? Of course she knows. Well if you have a severe immune response it could kill you, in this case COVID. She’s still quiet on that one. She also notes that every time she attends an event the ID (infectious desease) doctor is always masked. Last party I went to I would have been #2 out of 75. Darn peer pressure. (I probably would have also, except we were sitting at the same table as the celebrants)!