1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much less? i suppose you could say the er is available to anyone

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    @John321 mentioned several among many organizations aimed at reducing poverty. Not mired in complacency!

Global efforts to improve health care and reduce poverty among other things have had great successes. The concern I raised was about Earth's next arriving 2 billions who will be without exception in poorest regions. This will stretch the efforts and intentions of all those doing good. No such increase has been seen before in human history.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Insulin mentioned recently here is a very important molecule. It has 51 amino acids, assembled 'just so', in a way that has defeated direct chemical synthesis up to now.

Thus, for therapy it is extracted and purified from natural sources, and costs of that come through the supply chain. Peptide assembly technology and gene insertion into (for example) yeasts are improving rapidly. Just take those as accurate statements, without needing to learn all the details. It is so.

I expect that pharmaceutical industry will offer de novo insulin at lower cost soon. This is a > 20 Billion $USD global market, and if I knew which 'stock to buy' for that, I'd just buy and not necessarily tell my dear friends here.

Insulin is a very good example of how biomedical technology transforms our world. Not only mRNA vaccines for emerging viruses. In attempt to link with my previous post, 2 billions additional humans are unprecedented, but so are biomedical advances.

Our risks of being mired in despair come substantially from a notion that humans can do little to improve conditions; that they will always be so. This century will be different from those before.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They always are.
    As much as people yearn for "the good old days" I've never met anyone who would want to turn technology back 50 years....

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A lot of my technology *is* back 50 years....

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    All of my patents have expired and some have been declared obsolete.

JeffD

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not that we can't improve conditions, it's that too many are unwilling

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dr. wallenski to step down as head of cdc in june. i hope the next head hires a pr firm and keeps the docs away from the microphones

privilege likes this.
  9. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wuhan lab scientists were the first to contract COVID-19: report (msn.com)

It does now appear this was self-inflicted on the human race.

"Scientists conducting research on novel coronaviruses at the Wuhan Institute of Virology were the first humans to contract COVID-19, according to a new report.

“Patients zero” included Ben Hu, Ping Yu and Yan Zhu — scientists researching SARS-like viruses at the institute, according to an investigation by journalists Michael Shellenberger and Matt Taibbi published on the newsletter Public.

First People Sickened By COVID-19 Were Chinese Scientists At Wuhan Institute Of Virology, Say US Government Sources (substack.com)

10. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Delete multiple post

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trust the $cience.....

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Smells like fake news. I don’t see any proof, but do see old rehashed reports and something about declassified papers coming Sunday

Trollbait likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Curious coincidence: Monkey DNA

The COVID-19 shots are turning out to be more of a time bomb than ever imagined. This new discovery of the presence of monkey virus DNA, including tumor-linked viral promoters, in the jabs has this microbiologist and immunologist calling for an immediate halt in the use of mRNA “vaccines.”

Racial assignment in the USA worked on the principle of 'one drop' was enough to classify even fair skinned individuals as 'black.' They might pass as white but legally and socially they were called black using the "N" word. The monstrous practice of slave owners selling their own children by blacks was and remains hideous. Yet we are primates, distant relatives to monkeys.

Bob Wilson

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I want to know the origin so that scientists can do more to prevent viruses in the future.
    But I don’t have a preconceived notion of where the origins lie, and am not politically motivated to accept fake news from either side just so I can say “I told you so!”

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are probably more likely to die from an infection picked up in a hospital than someone in a lab working with microorganisms is to get sick.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember when the Department of Energy's intelligence arm changed its opinion, back in February? It turned out that we had 18 different "intelligence agencies" evaluating this, and they can considerable disagreement among themselves, and all were still at low confidence levels, if any at all, and none at medium or high confidence. The FOX interview linked here (dated Feb 28) indicates that a couple days after that DoE news, the FBI moved its evaluation confidence up a notch to medium.

But I haven't heard anything from the 16 other "intelligence agencies" in this pie since the end of February, so will wait for more solid speculation.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Coworkers, they might have had a celebration party with a big plate of 'bat bites' or other delectables:
    upload_2023-6-14_23-30-46.png

Bob Wilson

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    COVID almost certainly started in (Yunnan Province) bats, where a troubling number of viruses persist. By several species jumps it got to humans, and a slim possibility remains that Wuhan Virology Lab (WVL) was driving that sequence.

Let's suppose WVL was involved in COVID transfer to humans. One could imagine reaching into that country and shutting down WVL and denying any future benefit from WVL from surveillance of future viruses and limiting human harm therefrom. It's your decision, right? You (externally seem) have powers to do that, and know better than virologists how to limit human harm from emerging viral threats. With so much knowledge, just do it. Maybe your plan will lead to good outcomes. Because you imagine that WVL sought to weaponize COVID, first in country and crushing China's economy first. Because you imagine it.

Alternatively, bats are simply viral-transmitting A-holes. Wherever humans go too close, bats share their bad news, and this is an ongoing thing in SE Asia. As you have shut down WVL, all other labs similar will do as well as they can. The next emerging virus will be detected and genetically sequenced, and another mRNA vaccine will be offered to a reluctant human population. With, we hope, less deaths and disruptions than COVID caused.

Those limits on human harm will come from Virology Labs doing their thing, If you want Wuhan Virology Lab to not be involved, that's OK I guess, but it (your vast wisdom) could make the next virus more troublesome than it needs to be. Your call.

Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    or... perhaps , heaven forbid - a more reasoned approach, process and conclusion.

1. Immediately allow International Credentialed Sanctioned access to the Wuhan Virology lab, its safety protocol and its current and past experimental research.
    2. Allow sanctioned international investigation of the virus starting point and spread throughout China.
    3. Allow the Wuhan Scientist in question to be publicly questioned and blood work done on them by Qualified International Research Teams to determine point of source contamination and full disclosure on activities and projects at the time of the outbreak.
    4. Release the jailed, house arrested, captive medical professionals who haven't been heard from since they spoke out about the virus and how it was being handled in China. Allow them to be interviewed.
    5. Agree to International Sanctioned Protocol and how to handle future virus outbreaks.
    6. Take the lead in establishing an International Monitoring Agency which all Virology Research labs must register and report past and future experimental research.
    7. Pledge to be a cooperative part of any World Coordinated Approaches to fight future epidemics.
    8. Publicly denounce Military virology experiments and pledge to stop and eliminate all future Military Research in this area.

Fact Sheet: Activity at the Wuhan Institute of Virology - United States Department of State

Covid-19 pandemic: China 'refused to give data' to WHO team - BBC News

China refuses further inquiry into Covid-19 origins in Wuhan lab | Coronavirus | The Guardian

Reporter Zhang Zhan risked her life to show the world Covid in Wuhan. Now she may not survive jail. (nbcnews.com)

Isn't China its own worst enemy here - at the expense of its citizens and the world?

Science could probably find/understand/eliminate the real source of the outbreak for the benefit of all peoples if they were actually allowed to.

#6418 John321, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  21. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you truly believe the US what agree to such if an outbreak started here?