1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they want to reproduce, like all life

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "we need scientists to step up, but they are eerily quiet."

Not entirely true. Web-search with something like "using covid experience to improve public health" and see publications about it.

I could write something about scientists waiting to see if House investigates Dr. Fauci, but that would belong in the political thread.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, i meant on the local level. they hould be shouting from the rooftops

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    @Leadfoot J. McCoalroller , I anthropomorphize freely in informal settings. I know the longform lingo about achieving more genomic content in future by interacting differently with other organisms now.

But I may already be overdoing the pedantry.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    @bisco has interesting opportunities with regard to local scientists.

Boston Univ. scientists made a notable and generally unpopular chimera:

https://www.science.org/content/article/was-study-created-hybrid-covid-19-virus-too-risky

2020 Biogen Conference in Boston turned out to be something of a superspreader event:

https://www.masslive.com/boston/2020/12/biogen-conference-in-boston-lead-to-more-than-300000-cases-of-covid-science-journal-study-suggests.html

A single Boston person might not leverage those things into more local scientists stepping up. In addition to MassLive, Boston Globe reporters have longer levers.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/05/11/nation/experts-see-lessons-next-pandemic-covid-emergency-comes-an-end/

So, if a rainy day interferes with beach visit, chat up some local reporters and see if they can get some more step-ups. Now that COVID is over, sorta kinda.

Circling back, Boston scientists might support the idea of local wastewater surveillance. And say so to the press, which might be effective. This not need be described as a mea culpa. Whatever works though.

#6445 tochatihu, Aug 13, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm big into palindrome, I hope not excessively though and I saw this as a good way to relate
    would one less be any different?

bisco likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    “Maybe” more succinctly: the ones that reproduce are the ones that endure.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Fewer.

Though the overall idea is interesting... would there be a better health outcome if future disease prevention came commercially branded rather than left to government agencies?

(survival as a subscription anyone?)

bisco likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All life forms want to reproduce.
    None seem more tenacious than government agencies....especially 'exceptional' ones.

Sometimes bringing more meat to the party is beneficial.
    Other times they're more interested in internacine battles than doing good work for their customers.

YMMV.

bisco likes this.
  11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Big agencies of any kind just don't have the apparent ability to do small. I sometimes wonder if small as a concept is ever considered once an agency reaches a certain size. Big vs Small, More vs Less,
    a conundrum of size.

bisco likes this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wastewater COVID surveillance data are available here:
    https://biobot.io/data/covid-19
    But I have not been able to get in. People with internet connections in other countries may do better ???

bisco likes this.
  13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It just data collected for (almost all) the 50 US states which could be one reason it's blocked to your location.
    One of the dynamically illustrated maps is show data for west -lowest count per mL, midwest - hightest, northeast -little less than se, and southeast - little more than ne, quadrints and list variants per quad. Plus lots of other graphs. Besides Covid, they also track mpox / mpxv for CDC.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you. the graph shows an uptic in the country recently, and corresponds to reports in ma dept. of health.
    the midwest is making the strongest increase to date.

we'll continue with our safety precautions, regardless of government or medical administrators

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Worst color choices I've seen in a graph before. About as close to 'white on white' possible.

upload_2023-8-14_13-55-16.png

upload_2023-8-14_13-55-32.png

upload_2023-8-14_14-1-56.png

Bob Wilson

#6455 bwilson4web, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'm glad this is viewable for other interested chatters. (a noun here not a verb)

17. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well they do kind of. Most of the big gov't agencies realize if they have to tackle something very specific their generic capability to tackle generic issues would slow down and become an impediment to the "hot" issue that higher ups (read may be your elected officials) want answers to. So they carve off a group of experts and give them resources to pursue said problem to let them have greater autonomy in coming up with understanding the root issues and ideas to tackle the said hot issue. This has been my observation from working with the US Gov't for 39 years and has been like this probably before I ever started working. The main problem I've always observed is these "higher ups (almost always congressmen)" view of the issue is now greatly exceeded by the expertise thrown at it from the gov't agency. Then communications breaks down because there's "no transparency". :LOL: It got to the point that CSPAN was one of my favorite comedy channels. Gov't agencies hire people to tackle problems not for their expertise to explain it to someone who only has a rudimentary non-connected view of said problem.

vvillovv likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    New director at the CDC, I hope she’s better than our locally grown Rachel Walenski

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had to smile:
    Good thing corporations are immune to 'big gov't-itis'. . . I have worked for GE when Jack Welch practiced 'vulture capitalism' and later Boeing of 737 MAX fame and today, the failing Boeing Starliner.

Bob Wilson

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    FDA approves updated mRNA vaccines:

FDA Takes Action on Updated mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines to Better Protect Against Currently Circulating Variants | FDA

Persons in US will decide if another vaccination fits their finances, risk assessments, and political positions. If at this late stage, the downside of 'no' escapes your notice, I cannot help. If anyone has new-vax info for Europe, please share.

Billions of humans elsewhere lack option to new vax. It's just what it is. As such, I suppose COVID has joined other viruses as persistent drags on the human enterprise.

In any world where one species commands and controls all other biology for it's taking, something like virus will seek opportunity.

I am not saying to put COVID in rear-view mirror. I am saying that human planet earth is our thing, We have every reason to expect other viruses to continue to intrude. COVID taught the Pharma machine to use mRNA to teach human immune systems prompt viral opposition.

Vaccines work, to the extend they are used. Public health mandates work, to the extent they are complied with. Discarding all that knowledge seems to favor this intruding virus (and later ones), and I can't imagine why any humans would play for virus' teams.