1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This virus has an unusually long RNA which suggests it has more trick than the usual ... a primate IQ test.

Bob Wilson

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In this day and age, and with the Corona Virus and modern media does that hold true?
    Sources today are endless, and you can find one to back whatever you want to believe.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That certainly explains why my area was the first in this country to identify "community spread". There are plenty of CES attendees here.

And CES substantially predates the European ski resort mass spreadings, where certain bars at the center of the apres-ski nightlife have been traced as primary spreading sites. While many were involved, Ischgl resort in Austria seems to have been the worst spreader, with many European nations tracing their outbreaks to young skiers returning from there.

Merkey and tochatihu like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And another mostly among young people: "covid toe" condition. Discoloration, inflammation, and/or lesions on the toes.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wow, CES kinda slipped my mind.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It really depends upon whether we will share a bottle of Irish whiskey together or I'll have to filter it through my kidneys first. Your choice.

Bob Wilson

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You are in agreement with every expert I have ever heard on the subject.
    The social distancing is never going to allow us to return to living the way we did before.

It is designed to allow us to not overwhelm our medical system until a vaccine is in place and widely available.

8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Humans need to learn from this latest pandemic, or we'll back here again.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if wet markets will simply become black market.

even a communist regime may have difficulty eradicating something so culturally inculcated

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Saw that on my phone's feed this morning.

We still have farmers markets in the US. Today, the meatmongers just have their product in refrigerated cases instead of out in the open. That is likely what will happen with China's wet markets in time.

Now, the dog and cat might be move to the black market, but that is true of banned food products everywhere, like horse and haggis in the US, and cheese with live maggots in Europe.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't wait to try my vegan pizza :sick:

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Then there's vegan AND gluten-free. :cry:

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great article in politico, will florida be the hardest hit economy?

#1733 bisco, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Following list have presented lists of daily new cases that Gompertz models simply cannot describe. Those are ‘supposed to’ be few, increase, hit peaks and then fall. In these they have not:
    Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Burma, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gaza West Bank, Jamaica, Japan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Maldives, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Sudan, Tanzania.

Following list could be managed by Gompertz, but their ‘falls’ have been unusually slow, so final total case number predictions continue to grow:
    Belarus, Morocco, Pakistan, S Africa.

Second list could actually be longer; extent of stretching that’s bad enough to include is subjective decision.

As US hit its peak but has not fallen much after, it could be included in this stretch list. That is a substantial concern because it already has highest number of reported cases. If final prediction goes much above 1.2 million, then none among currently unpredictable countries mightcatch up.

==
    Second troubling matter in many countries (including US) is that case fatality rates are increasing. Those two factors combined could push US total deaths above 70 thousand. How far above cannot yet be known.

Robert Holt likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    time: hokkaido, japan. authorities reopened too soon, and are experiencing a second wave larger than the first. 'our mistakes and misfortune may be a lesson for others'

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That media website is among many not on my access list, but WHO sitreps for Japan seem informative:
    Japan 96.png
    Graph could begin before sitrep 61 but it was low and flat. Summer Olympics postponement was announced on sitrep 64 day, but I draw no conclusions from that ;)

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: How overly optimistic modeling distorted Trump team’s coronavirus response - POLITICO
    . . .
    Shortly after IHME debuted its 60,000-death forecast, Fauci on April 8 echoed the sentiment, saying the administration now believed the eventual toll would be "more like like 60,000 than the 100,000 to 200,000" deaths health officials previously estimated.
    . . .

So Johns Hopkins reports:
    • 53,934 deaths - 4/26/2020 5:31:20 AM
    Before the recent Priuschat pause, I'm still in the higher number camp, even higher than 200,000 CoV deaths:
    • 53,694 - US dead
    • 936,616 - US confirmed cases
      • 5.7% = 53694 / 936616 :: US death rate
    • 328,200,000 - USA population
      • 0.3% = 936616 / 328200000 :: percent US recovered
    So when does the actual death rate taper off:
    • ~10 days till infection shows symptoms
    • ~20 days, the 5.7% deaths occur
    • 2.8 is transmission efficiency, infection rate from one patient in 100% vulnerable population
    • 11,721,428 = 328200000 / 2.8 :: expected cases in next 10 days, May 5
      • 939,249 USA cases, April 25
    • 668,121 = 11,721,428 * 5.7% :: expected deaths in next 20 days, May 15
      • 53,934 CoV deaths, April 25
    These are linear projections that only have merit because at this stage, the 'recovered' population is so small relative to the total population. Assuming we're still here on May 5 and May 15, I'll do another linear projection.

My projections are grim but better than the unrealistic 60,000 fatalities when we're already at 54,000.

Bob Wilson

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have always seen the deaths as secondary to the cases. (not to the individual, or their family and friends)

but in the overall scheme of overcoming the virus, keeping the numbers down in the hospitals, and getting the world up and running again.

what do the number of deaths tell us? we don't even have data on age or health

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Death is well defined and tracked. Infections are less accurate.

The USA practice is to test those with overt symptoms as a way of confirming a diagnosis. There have been too few wider, population tests except for a scatter of nursing homes, jails, and one aircraft carrier. The asymptomatic cases are the great unknown.

I use the Johns Hopkins cases knowing it is primarily those who seek medical help but I suspect the actual number is much larger. Testing also needs aggressive contact tracing and that remains a huge hole in the public health system.

BTW, I found an iPhone app called, "ContactTracing" but am not impressed. It may be due to the limited GPS capability but the last location is about a mile from home when I was bringing takeout dinner home. Regardless, I'll test it today when I check out the latest Tesla software (stops at stop signs and traffic lights.)

My reason for sharing my method is there are different models. The one with the 60,000 number is based on pattern matching to other country epidemics and has merit. But I'm more of a Monte Carlo model that uses probabilities and characteristics. This comes from how I used to analyze computer networks based upon the characteristics of TCP/IP and the available metrics. Then there is the Gompertz function model. I suspect that like climate models, there a much larger set that is not being followed by our PriusChat community.

Bob Wilson

#1739 bwilson4web, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why experts are questioning two hyped antibody studies in coronavirus hotspots | World news | The Guardian

Recent studies in CA and NY are casting the idea of the much larger population have been infected by SARS-CoV-2 than the confirmed cases. The implication is that with more infected population, the fatality rate will decrease down to what is thought to be similar to an accepted fatality rate of seasonal flu of ~0.1%. Although there are some very valid criticisms on those studies, I wonder what would happen to the seasonal flu fatality rate, if somehow the entire population of the US is tasted for the seasonal flu. Wouldn't the result show much more infected numbers than confirmed flu cases, thus bringing down the flu fatality rate much, much lower than 0.1%?

#1740 Salamander_King, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020