1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sat Nav software upgrade B9019 HDD

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 6828David, Jul 14, 2016.

1. 6828David

6828David New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

First post so please be kind!

I have a 2010 Prius T Spirit which has built in Sat Nav. The model is a B9019 and the Map Data date is 2009-2010, so original setting from the factory.
    It's annoying that it's out of date & some of the areas I visit weren't built back then! So I went to the main dealer and was quoted £248 to have the software updated.
    I don't want to use an aftermarket sat nav as they look a mess, and the estimate to replace the unit to a Touch & Go is £1000-£1500!! (so I won't be doing that). I have 2 questions:

(a) Is there anywhere else that can update the software other than a main dealer?
    (b) For anyone else who has had the upgrade, is it worth it? (i.e. is it purely map updates or is the general software undated/improved too. Any additional benefits?)

Many thanks in advance of your assistance here ...

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the Netherlands, there are people offering updates on secondhand websites for about a quarter of that price. No idea about the legality of these updates though, but you might that. You will get new(er) roads and an update for the gracenote DB, but there might very well be half a year between new roads are built and when they appear in Toyota's maps.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) unfortunately, toyota does not allow anyone but dealers to sell upgrades.

2) i have never done one, but don't recall anyone saying other software improvements made it worthwhile.

3) some people will use their phone/other just for those times when new roads aren't on the nav.

4) welcome to priuschat, all the best!(y)

marvingloria2011 likes this.
  4. 6828David

6828David New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very many thanks to you Maarten & Bisco for your replies, which are appreciated. It just seems crazy to spend so much money on this & as Bisco says, the number of occasions where the map is not accurate is few. I can spend £248 more wisely I think ;)

5. Jim255

Jim255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search for Toyotamapupdates. (not allowed to post a link!) That's the best I can find. The process is quite involved, and requires removal of the HU, removal of HDD from HU, and connection to a PC.

6. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Christopher Lynch

Christopher Lynch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I quite agree with this criticism of Toyota UK(?) re: exorbitant fee for updating the HDD. As far as I can see, it has an onboard port for uploading from an online system(?) or who knows it might be a memory stick with update material etc.

Whatever method, it simply isn't worth a fraction of the cost, and to add insult most of us use Toyota to Service/repair/monitor/health check etc, etc. So, Toyota already have you by the balls, so to speak. They really should offer this as a freebie (customer relations???) to those who use Toyota Dealership for maintenance/service etc, etc.

I won't be paying Toyota for this. I find them quite greedy and unhelpful.

Anything, non-standard shall we say, and they just wallop a hefty charge, very short sighted indeed!!!!

CJL

bisco likes this.