1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sat Radio in 2012 Prius II in Stock Headunit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pghjerry, May 31, 2012.

1. jdk0827

jdk0827 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    can you confirm under the center antenna? send some pics or you know someone has done it, it would be nice not to run the antenna wires from the back of the prius.

2. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I think Sirius/XM is the new combined company, This is what I have!
    What is SiriusXM? - SiriusXM Radio

3. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I lookd prety hard, and could not find the antenna - however I did not really know where to look. I saw nothing behind the head unit, nor under the plastic I had to remove to get to the head unit.

I would be thrilled to find out that the antenna is there - even though my setup is running fine, I'd rather have the clean look of the single antenna - plus those magnetic antenna damage easily!

4. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes and no. It's very confusing. They have three types of radio. Sirius only, XM only, and SiriusXM combo. The Sirius only radio can get the "best of XM" package, the XM radio can get the "Best of Sirius" package and the SiriusXM radio can get everything.

As far as I know, there is no Factory head unit that will take a SiriusXM radio - only aftermarket and standalone units - thus your option for the prius is either Sirius or XM.

MOST of the programming is the same, however if you enjoy baseball play by play I believe XM is your only option. the Sirius radio with best of XM does not include baseball play by play... at least last I checked.

Hope that is helpfull and not confusing!

5. dan77459

dan77459 Toyota fan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Three
    Thats why I hate the XM on my 2012 Prius, no Stern. And it goes out every time I go under a bridge, plus I get"this station is off air at this time": I never got that on my Serius.

6. dan77459

dan77459 Toyota fan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Three
    I had Serius. Serius bought out XM and now calls itself SeriusXM. Toyota backed the loser XM and that is what is in their cars. I boughyt a Toyota and am now stuck with XM which I hate with a passion - Serius was way, way better!!!

7. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e

Howards lost his edge!How many times can they fart into the microphone or prank the Church auction channel, It's just not funny anymore, Not like his old crew! His101 channel TheFat guy show and Black onBlack Hilarious!!

8. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The new "SiriusXM" radios use the XM frequencies. Sirius bought XM but they're migrating to XM satellites. Toyota backed the corporate loser but the winning technology.

I think there is some contractual issue with MLB otherwise the same channels are available on both systems.

You can get HS on XM, you have to add the Best of Sirius package. There is a cost. The new SiriusXM package doesn't include HS. You have to pay extra for the 10 additional channels which include HS.

9. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmnn Channel 51 + 52 = :D

10. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BUMP

Just checking in... Was anyone able to confirm the existence of a built in sat radio antenna - and if so it's locaton within the car?

11. BRIAN1090

BRIAN1090 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you lose your USB connection in the center console with this upgrade? From what I've researched the Vais unit has to plug into the back of the head unit using this USB connection correct?