1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by M8s, Nov 24, 2011.

1. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We were fiddling around with the radio today and accidentally hit the Satellite button.

What a surprise! It actually came on! We now have dozens of satellite stations!

We never subscribed for service or added any hardware to the vee so I'm not sure what is going on.

- Does the vee (we have a v5) come with a trial SiriusXM subscription? For how long?
    - I thought you had to have a satellite module added to the radio for something like $450. Wasn't that the case with the Gen II Prius?
    - If I decide to keep it, where do I sign up for long term service?

So far we're loving it.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It should be 3 months free from when it was activated by whoever activated it (dealer or port, I don't know who does it).

There are threads on here about getting deals for XM, in the audio forum for the Gen III. All I did was call XM (you may have to call back if you gt someone who won't do it) and tell them you will only subscribe for the $77 a year deal. It's something like $88 with the royalty fees, but it's a good deal. I did it on my 2010 but will not do it anymore on the Plug in when i get it since I'll just use Pandora with my unlimited data plan on my cell for free.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Gen III models with Nav came with a 90-day free XM radio trial. My guess is that the v would be the same. I am surprised the dealer did not explain this to you.

If you go to Channel 0, I believe, on your radio it should give you your radio number. Then go to Sirius XM website, create a users account and enter your radio number and it should give you the length of your current trial along with the end date.

Once you get close to the 90-day period you can call Sirius XM and purchase a subscription to continue. The "current rate" is about $150 a year. Most on here have been able to negotiate a half-price rate of $77 plus royalty fees and taxes that comes out about $92.

Ask them for the half-price rate that you read about on Prius Chat.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are a couple of threads about how much you should pay to get a annual subscription. Last I looked, it suggested that the cheapest plan was about $90.

5. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    WOW, a lot of good information. Thanks a ton. I'll look into a subscription.

I don't use Pandora because I can't get the music I want. If I put in an song, it will play some songs they consider "similar" by some unknown artists and then eventually get around to the music I requested. Maybe I'm not doing it right but that's what happens when I try to use Pandora.

6. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The SiriusXM site shows that I have "XM Select with XM NavTraffic® + XM NavWeather™ + XM Travel" for 3 months on my Prius v. However, several Toyota people have said that the data services will continue free for 3 years as part of the Entune package. It seems to me that the XM services are separate from Entune but I hope they are right.

Also, I would probably only subscribe to NavTraffic. It only costs $3.99 a month and is the most useful part of the service IMO. This info is hard to find; you have to search "pricing" on the SiriusXM site. SiriusXM Radio Search: pricing

--Dave

7. Rigct

Rigct New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm probably an idiot but please help anyway. I cannot seem to find channels 100 and 101 on my sat radio.

Are they not included for the 3 month trial? Just bought the prius v 10 days ago. Love it so far but this is annoying.

Bonus question: never had sat radio before, so not sure if this is normal. Every minute or two the reception "slips" and is silent for a second or so. Is that to be expected?

Thanks in advance.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are you trying to get Stern? I could be wrong but I think he's on Sirius on those channels and if you want to hear him on Xm, which the Prius comes with, you have to get the extra Sirius part added onto the XM account (it's not in the 3 month trial).

9. Rigct

Rigct New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly. Thanks.

10. El_Spectre

El_Spectre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have in my hands a letter from XM trying to get me to extend my trial. It also states that the Traffic, Weather and Travel Link services are all 3 year trials.

So far as I can tell, XM has nothing to do with Entune.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Most likely you are losing the signal. Common causes are: bridges, overpasses, tall buildings, tress, etc,. There is a memory buffer of a couple of seconds that masks short breaks in signal. The satellite is in the southern hemisphere and not straight up above you.

12. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just got the same letter today. Nice surprise since I really like the traffic and fuel price features!

13. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had XM - both a unit that I installed in my old car as well as a couple of trials on the past 2 cars that my wife has had. I found XM to be very much like cable TV - very cool in the beginning but soon it was 100+ stations and nothing that I wanted to listen to.