1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite receiver by rearview mirror and magnets

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Minishark, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Minishark

Minishark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone know if hanging a chain with a magnet to hold a diability placard on the rear view mirror will interfere with the satellite receiver that is on the windshield by the rear view mirror? This is the item we are talking about:

[​IMG]

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The satellite antenna is on the top back of the roof connected by cable to the receiver so your magnet should not be a problem.

3. Minishark

Minishark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Then what is that big black thing on the windshield behind the rear view mirror?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is not a Prius in the pic. But generally those units attached to the windshield around the rear view mirror area could be for auto rain sensing wipers, a camera for systems like lane keep assist and/or pre collision systems and even radar units in new volvos for radar cruise control.

5. Minishark

Minishark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The picture is from the Amazon page that my other half bought the magnetic handicap placard holder. I have a 2013 Prius v5 with the advanced tech package. I thought I remembered the black thing on the windshield being described as part of the satellite system from when we bought the car. If it isn't the satellite, will having a magnet there affect anything else?

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    homelink.jpg If the "black thing on the windshield" looks like this picture, it is just the wiring for the mirror power (Homelink and Autodim).

Minishark likes this.
  7. Minishark

Minishark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So that black bar that is 6" Long and 1" wide and 1" thick is only for wiring? Man, you'd think they could come up with something much smaller. OK, then I guess I am reassured and will allow my other half to use the new disability placard holder. Thank you all for your assistance in allaying my concerns.