1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

saving EV till later

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by priuscatprimeguy, Sep 16, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well, in the good news/bad news category...

I don't have a regular commute anymore, so some work trips are close enough for all-EV, while others are well over 100 miles with no place to charge, meaning they're mostly HV. But for the last couple months it's been a mix between the two.

Well... starting in about 2 months, I will have to drive my Prime 130 miles roundtrip virtually every day, including weekends, for 3 straight months (with no place to charge except at home every night).

The "good" news is that it's work.

The "bad" news is that this will seriously blow my "Total MPG Since Day One" Odometer number (was in the 140ish range, though has dipped into the 130ish range lately with more of the longer commutes).

Even getting stellar 65+MPG in HV mode (and 20-25ish miles of higher speed freeway EV), my "Total MPG" number will quickly dip below 100, as these everyday-for-3-months commutes will probably average around 75-80MPG if you mix together 20-25ish miles of freeway speed EV + 100-110 miles of HV driving).

Of course I'm glad for the work, but with no time in between to do shorter all-EV commutes, that Total MPG number is really going to suffer. o_O

At least I figured out with my low energy usage at home (other than occasional charging), for those 3 months, I can charge about 27 days out of 31 each month and still stay in the lower kw/h tier at SCE (16c as opposed to 24c).

As far as saving EV for later, for longer trips (70+ miles roundtrip with no place to charge other than home), I generally use EV until I hit the freeway (1 mile) then switch to HV before accelerating. I use HV for about 3/4ths of the "going" direction, then switch to EV for the last part (which would also include some street driving at the end). Then in the "coming back" direction, just use EV until it runs out (which it will at some point on the freeway coming home).

#41 stevepea, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    heiwa and priuscatprimeguy like this.