1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saving memory settings when replacing the 12 volt battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gutsy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Gutsy

Gutsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to need a new 12 volt battery in my 2008 at some point soon and I was looking here and online to see if there is a way to retain the vehicle memory settings before disconnecting the battery. I located 4 products you can purchase from Advanced Auto parts, and I wanted some advise from our astute PC members:

OBD-11 Port memory Saver by Schumacher - $22.59
    From what I understand, you connect the battery adapter to another car's cigarette lighter power source and connect the other end to the On board Diagnostic Source Connector to the vehicle getting the new battery.

EZ Red Memory Saver - $21.49
    High visibility coiled cord stretches to 8' - Same scenario as above.

Lisle Memory Saver with Light - $15.99
    You connect a 9 volt battery on one end and the + & - clamps to the cables connected to the battery before removing the cables.

EZ Red Super Automotive Presets and Computer Memory Saver - $94.59

Perhaps useful for others who may work with batteries all the time. Unit is self contained, no other equipment needed 12 Volt, 4.5 amp/hour sealed lead acid battery included inside unit. LED indicates connection to battery circuit. Protected by a 4 amp circuit breaker.

Will any of these these work on my Prius?
    Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

2. unmesh59

unmesh59 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have no experience with these units but hooked up my Sears 12V car battery charger to the terminals under the hood and it did the job. You might consider that path since the charger is helpful even if you don't replace batteries often :)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a 0.5 amp motorcycle battery charger kicking around. I've hooked it up a few times when doing battery swaps, works fine. Just make sure it's securely bolted or clamped directly to the positive cable, and a ground bolt. Be careful with polarity.

Commenting on your options listed above:

The 9 volt might not be enough. The one that plugs into cigarette lighter socket might not work: the Prius shuts off those outlets when the car is off.

FWIW, if you do lose 12 volt continuity, you'll lose radio presets, and likely the auto up/down function on one or more windows. The latter can be retrained by running the window down, then up, and continue to hold the up button for a couple of seconds. Hopefully, LOL.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 9V will work to retain settings, I suspect, or even a super cap of ~ .5F. Memory chips can go pretty low before they get erased. A couple of clip leads from Radio shack and a 9V battery can be connected to the jump points under the hood. Cheap. Yes, the cig. lighter type plugs are disconnected when the car is off.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you choose to connect a battery or charger to the front jump terminal in the engine compartment, just be aware that the cables that connect to the battery in the cargo area will be energized. When you remove them it would be good idea to cover the cable connectors with tape so they cannot touch together or the positive connector cannot come in contact with chassis ground.

Les_PL likes this.
  6. Gutsy

Gutsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the best option based on all the comments so far is to purchase the Lisle Memory Saver with Light for just $15.99 and get a small (NEW) 9 volt battery and connect the clamps the jump points under the hood. Then go to the rear, remove the battery cables (negative first - then positive) and then cover the positive cable with electrical tape so it doesn't come in contact with the body. Then connect to the new battery in reverse order ending with removing the the 9 volt from under the hood.

I don't plan on replacing the battery with an Optima (with the adapter cable) until a few weeks from now.
    Thank you all for your advise ... much appreciated!

jdcollins5 likes this.
  7. shawn.ne

shawn.ne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base