1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saw a Gen III Taxi in NYC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CapeAnn, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think Toyota makes a taxi-specific version of the Prius. But fleet and individual owners modify it themselves in accordance with NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission regulations (paint, rear reflector, meter, bullet-proof partition, etc.).

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You mean they have to have bullet proof partitions? WOW! One of the reasons I enjoy my job is meeting the weird and wonderful people out there and the great conversations we have. Crikey, couldn't imagine having to have a bullet proof partition :eek:

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, bullet resistant. That is, the partition has to be made of a bullet resistant grade polycarbonate.

Note that the partitions (or some of them) have some some holes in them and sound can pass through those holes, as well as through the permitted up to 1 inch gaps in the top and sides, an open sliding window, change dispenser, etc. And the taxi regulations themselves require that:

"(6) No partition shall be installed unless it shall have the following features which do not compromise passenger or driver safety:

(A) A means for passengers and drivers to communicate with each other ...."

So, you can still converse with your passenger, but not as easily as you could if there were no partition.

4. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used to see minivans. I guess they died out.

So I asked the NYC minivan taxi guy how he liked it, he said it was not powerful enough. Because you want to be the first car to reach a customer when they raise their hand. So according to him, quick acceleration is a must.

Times must have changed b/c with so many hybrids, maybe quick acceleration is not needed anymore.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You're kidding right? Power mode and a heavy right foot :rolleyes:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice but they really have to jam everything into the rear licence plate area? For us, they just attach the taxi licence to the rear bumper

Nope. They're the same model that you and I buy from the showroom.

Well.. unless that's what TMS has in mind for the Prius I (i.e. taxi use)

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took this shot of a Gen II NYC taxi while it was snowing the other day:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21786&d=1266399055[/IMGLINK]

Attached Files:

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There were minivan cabs in Detroit, MI a year ago. I rode in at least one of them. IIRC, it was a VERY tired and worn Chevy Venture.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More pics of Gen III Prius Taxi in NYC:

Front Corner View. I'd like to get those rubber bumpers flanking the front license plate. Notice that there's another Gen III Prius taxi moving in the background.

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25190&d=1282436009[/IMGLINK]

Side View. Notice the cable ties securing the rear wheel cover. But there are none securing the front wheel cover.

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25191&d=1282436009[/IMGLINK]

Rear Corner View. Notice again the cable ties securing the rear wheel cover.

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25192&d=1282436009[/IMGLINK]

I assume those cable ties are there more to prevent the wheel cover from flying off if the taxi hits a pot hole rather than to deter theft.

On the Gen II Prius taxis, the trim rings would fly off on a fairly regular basis. So much so, that every Gen II Prius taxi I've seen in NYC has at least one trim ring missing. Just like this Gen II Prius taxi that's missing a trim ring on the front wheel (notice also that there's a Toyota Highlander Hybrid taxi in the background):

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/members/boo-albums-prius-picture438-new-york-city-prius-taxi.jpg[/IMGLINK]

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg